[HH1.0] Thousand Sons tactica

Excessus

No, these are called power claws. FW editing at its finest.

Hahaha, seriously?  This isn't as funny as the tourists in the artwork, but now I see what you guys were talking about regarding how the editor must have been on vacation.

Yup. Guess for now it counts as giving +1 A? Who knows; not even FW? :D

Also here's my completed summary:

Legiones Astartes: TS

• You must determine your Warlord first when creating an army. Warlord must be an IC with a ML of 1 or more and with the highest Ld value.

• Access to all BRB psychic disciplines except Malefic.

• HQ IC that are not psykers can buy ML1 + exchange power -> force weapon for 5 points

• Each unit must select an Arcana from one of five.

• Compulsory Troops MUST have the same Arcana as the Warlord.

• If Arcana = Psy discipline, then the unit can harness Warp Charges on a 3+

• If a detachment unit suffers a wound from Perils, every unit in the force must test for pinning.

• If every IC in the detachment are killed, all remaining units suffer -1 Ld and cannot sweep.

Cult Arcana

• Pavoni, +1 to run and sweeping advance distances

• Raptora, 6++ Inv or augment existing Inv save by 1 to a maximum of 3++

• Corvidae, re-roll failed To-Hit of 1 if the unit has remained stationary in this turn's movement phase

• Athanean, immune to Fear and gets Adamantium Will

• Pyrae, gain Hammer of Wrath, or if already has HoW gets a second HoW

Legion Special Doodads

• Praetors MUST buy ML 1 up to 3, and can do the power -> force swap.

• Veterans and Legion Termies can buy Brotherhood of Psykers ML1.

• IC can buy Arcane Litanies to ignore their first failed Perils.

• Aether-Fire Cannons are 36" S7 AP2 plasma cannons with Heavy 1, Blast, Soul Blaze, Gets Hot

• Asphyx Shells get Shred. IC can buy them for bolt pistol/gun, combi-bolters. Veterans and Legion Termies can also buy them.Rotor Cannon support squads can also buy them.

Osiron Dreadnoughts

• Any Contemptor Talon can pay for the Osiron upgrade.

• Gain Psychic Pilot ML1. Powers are generated from Telekinesis, Telepathy, Pyromancy or Divination.

• Gain Adamantium Will.

• Must exchange the CCW with: Dreadnought Force Blade, Sx2 AP2 Force with inbuilt combi-bolter and Asphyx Shells

Castellax-Achea

• Same stats as a Castellax, but unless noted they lose all special rules (e.g. cortex)

• Mauler Cannon with Asphyx Shells and Refractor Field.

• Can replace the Mauler with an Aether-Fire Cannon.

• As long as a LA: TS unit with at least ML1 is within 24", the unit behaves normally. Otherwise, no Charge, Run or Sweeping.

• Can fire 3 weapons.

• LA: TS psykers within 12" can use the Castellax to cast Witchfires and Maledictions; range and LoS measured from the Castellax.

• If ANYONE suffers a Peril (friend or foe) within 12", do a Ld test. Failure = d6 automatic wounds, no saves of any kind. Death from this effect result in maximum reactor blast.

Sekhmet Terminators

• Elites, 5 strong, with two wounds.

• Can be equipped with either Tartaros or Cataphractii armor. Your choice.

• Equipped with force weapon of your choice and combi-bolters with Asphyx shells.

• Brotherhood of Psykers ML2. Can pick powers from Telekinesis or Pyromancy. NOTE: Everything points to be able to PICK the powers, not rolling. Exact same wording as Zardu Layak of the Word Bearers, and he can pick.

• Can take a Proteus DT if 5, or a Spartan if 6-10.

• Any can replace the force weapon with a pfist PLUS a lightning claw or another pfist or a chainfist.

• Any can buy combi-weapons and retain the Asphyx Shells.

Personal notes: The Sehkmet are absolutely ridiculous. Their cost is cheap. So cheap I am seriously wondering if someone mistyped the extra model cost.

Khenetai Ocult Blades

• Elites, 5 strong in power armour with two force swords.

• Brotherhood ML1.

• If 3 or less in unit, +1A to everyone.

• If 4-8, +1A and +1 WS

• If 9-10, +2A and +2 WS

Ammitara Occult Intercession Cabal

• FA scouts, 5 strong, with sniper rifles.

• Brotherhood of Psykers ML1.

• For every 5, one can take a meltagun or plasma gun.

• Can have a Storm Eagle as a DT.

• Unique psy power: Mind Killer, allows re-rolling all failed To Hit and To Wound, and attacks Ignore Cover.

Azhek Ahriman

• ML4 Psyker, locked to Divination.

• Adamantium Will, Precision Strike, IC, Marked by Dark Fates, Master of the Legion.

• MC Force Axe, MC bolt pistol with Asphyx, Iron Halo, Arcane Litanies.

• Warlord: Pattern of Fates. Pick up to three Troop units with the LA: TS rule to give them Scout.

• Ahriman's Cabal: Command Squads for Ahriman must buy an upgrade to Brotherhood ML2, are locked to the Corvidae Arcana, and are locked to the Divination discipline.

Magistus Amon

• ML3 Psyker, Divination and Telepathy.

• Gets the Arcana of both Corvidae and Athanean.

• Master of the Legion, Infiltrate.

• Archeotech pistol, MC force sword, Arcane Litanies.

• Armour of Shades: 2+ save, 4+ cover save in the open, +2 to save if in cover. Or if joined to a unit, 6+ cover save in the open, or +1 to save if in cover. Maximum 2+.

• Dust of the Devourers: Once per game in assault, forgo attacks to deal Poison 4+), concussive, AP4 hits. Against a unit of 5 or less, d6 auto hits. Against a unit of 6 or more, 2d6 auto hits.

• Hidden Servants & Secret Scrying: If Amon is in the detachment, can re-roll Seize the Initiative. Enemy units arriving vis Outflank cannot enter play within 24" of Amon unless coming from their own table edge, or within 12" if deep striking.

• Warlord: Lord of Hidden Paths. Select a single non suer-heavy or Flyer. Unit must enter play from Reserve via Outflank on the turn you specify except the first. No rolling for reserve needed.

Magnus the Red

The Sorcerer of Prospero, The Crimsong King, The Logos Maxima, The Cyclopean Giant

• Sire of the Thousand Sons: LA: TS units use Magnus' leadership for pinning, morale, and perils. All reserve rolls for your army can be re-rolled. Sekhmet and Legion Termies can be taken as a Troops choice with no Arcana requirements.

• Arch-Sorcerer: Psyker ML 5. Harness WC on a 3+. Perils only on rolling 3 sixes or more and re-roll 1's. Randomly generate powers freely from all five BRB disciplines and Sanctic.

• The Horned Raiment: 2+ 4++ armour. Reduce wounds from Destroyer weapons by 1.

• Blade of Anh-Nunurta: S+2, AP1, Force, Two-Handed.

• Psyfire Serpenta: 15" S8 AP2, Assault d3, Soul Blaze.

• Eye of the Crimson King: No LoS requirements for psy powers: all models in range are valid targets. Additionally all psy attacks have Ignore Cover.

• Phantasmal Aura: Attacks against Magnus or his unit have a -1 To Hit penalty. Barrage weapons add +1 to scatter distance.

• Mind Wrath: Declare Mind Wrath when manifesting a witchfire. WC cost goes up by 2. Double listed range, and add 2d6 to the S value; if S becomes 11 or more the attack gains the Destroyer special rule.

Unique ROW: Axis of Dissolution

• Alembic Adamant: LA: TS units within 6" of an objective auto pass pinning and morale tests.

• Caustic of Grace: LA: TS fire overwatch at BS2.

• Transition of Vitriol: LA:TS can re-roll to hit and to wound against units that are Falling Back.

• Troop choices must be at maximum unit size.

• Cannot have more vehicles with the Tank or Flyer type than you have Infantry.

Unique ROW: The Guard of the Crimson King

• Astral Warfare: Roll 2d6 for generating warp charges at the start of the psy phase; pick the highest.

• Wreathed in Lightning, they Rend the Veil: All terminator-equipped models, and Magnus, can deploy via Deep Strike teleportation. When they arrive they gain Fear and can re-roll failed Inv saves of 1 until the next controlling player's turn.

• Initiates of the Scarab: Sekhmet Cabals must be taken as your compulsive troops, and more can be taken as optional troops.

• Bidding of the Crimson King: Magnus can be taken as the compulsory HQ and does not count as a LoW.

• The Warlord must be Ahriman, Magnus, or a ML3 Praetor. Amon is specifically left out.

• Cannot have more vehicles (any) than you have units with LA: TS.

• No allies and fortifications.

So....

I might be missing something here but...

Magnus decides to pop his mind wrath on a witchfire like say... A nova like sunburst, or shockwave.

It ups the wc cost to 3, admittedly, but the power would go up to a 18 inch radius.

, and statistically speaking, would also be a destroyer attack.

A three foot circle destroyer weapon for 3wc cost seems outrageous. Especially when magnus' own row allows deep strike.

To anyone with the rulebook - is this right? Because if so the invisibility shenanigans are the least of our worries!

Magnus is the most powerful psyker second only to the Emperor. He has been represented as such.

Won't stop me trying to put 40 culverin shots into him though (unless he can outright pick invisibility then I'm not entirely sure what I'll do)

1st, Mango Polo, we owe you many Likes for sharing that nice compiled list for 1kSons.

2nd, I was going to list the 3++ Red Army I was so proud of (combining Cult Arcana: Raptora, Sekmet Terminators, with the Guard of the Crimson King RoW), thanks to what Mango Polo so neatly arranged.

Then I read the post about Magnus's 3 Foot Circle of D and suddenly all that seems very moot now, lol.  Turning into a Daemon Prince just weakened Magnus, didn't it?

I dunno, invisibility is nice and all (and will lose you every friend, but hey... You're using Magnus after all)

But I'd be tempted to go sanctic.

Hammerhead and sanctuary is pretty beefy for terminator death stars (3++ or 2++ if raptora) , and for mind wrath you have a couple of choices - you can use the flame nova for maximum damage, or vortex for a guaranteed 24inch range destroyer vortex (admittedly only on a small blast) .

Nasty.

Edited by Robzilla

I must be missing a rules page, so not only Praetors, but ALL Consuls can take mastery levels?

From what I've read praetors can get up to ML3 whereas centurions/ consuls can take only ML1 and take a force weapon.

Corvidae Moritats FTW, a good roll on divination would make those things so shooty.

Better off just taking Corvidae on Moritats rather than making them a ML1 Div psyker. Would be good in Zone Mortalis to guard a hallway.

You could just roll on a different table too. Telepathy is just plain good and only has one blessing that targets the psyker. Biomancy would be good too. Plus Shriek/Smite would augment his shooting. Going to be difficult not taking a Psyker Primus for Sekhmets however.

Speaking of the Cults, what are some of the obvious choices, and less obvious ones?

Heavy support squads with Corvidae are obvious. Add a Divination Siege Breaker for Tank Hunters or Master of Signals for BS5 and you have a pretty beefy unit. Even just solo, rerolling 1s to hit is great. Too bad that the soul blaze plasma is wildly over priced.

Pyrae bikes for two HoW attacks. Get outriders for scout, give them power weapons, and jink up the line. Pyrae anything melee oriented really.

Raptora Assault Marines with combat shields, Breachers, Sekhmet.

Corvidae Seekers with Scorpius. The problem is getting them where you want them first. Though if you're playing ZM or defending in a Strategic Raid it'd be easy.

Corvidae quad mortars, Marksmen Vets.

Hmm, speaking of Seekers. An exploratory web Phobos can let them Scout, and provides reserve re-roll. Not cheap, but in a Crimson ROW it's a good way of making deepstriking terminators more reliable, without having to use Magnus or sacrifice a very precious HQ on a flabby command rhino.

I'm loving the new Sons. It's looking to me like a Damocles is going to be almost mandatory when running the Magnus Guard RoW. Assuming your Praetor/sekhmet are going to be Raptora, what's the best loadout? I think Cataphractii for the 3++. Maelstrom seems good. Less need for Levitation with the Damocles but still might be the best 2nd power to get out of the DS please template me formation.

Have people looked at any of the nice combos you can pull with various powers?

Telekinesis looks like a verrrry nice table to support shooting units.

Popping a character (master of signal?) with levitation in a unit of heavy weapons, or if the character got Telekinesis dome, it allows them cover on the go (or an invulnerable).

Plus assail is quite a nice power to have to slow the advance of any enemy unit too!

Master of signal, raptora, Telekinesis seems like a very nice utility piece for rapiers, vets, or heavy support squads too for that matter (and for the reasons mentioned)

Likewise a divination chaplain (the fluff is crying right now) would add all kinds of hurt to a melee unit. Especially a biomancy focused one (occult blades, I'm looking at you!)