[HH1.0] Thousand Sons tactica

Excessus

I talked with Athrawes about using the Knights errant and Tylos Rubio rules to count as a strong psyker character for the XVth legion.

That's actually a great idea! Funny I never thought of it myself seeing as my home made

Knight errant is an ex thousands sons primus Medicae

• 5 months later...
INFERNO COVERAGE PRT1

please note, I will NOT be sending out photos or posting full page rules, please do not ask for them.

THOUSAND SONS

warlord must be a psyker

any independant character HQ choice can purchase mastery level one and exchange a power weapon for a force weapon for an additional fee

cult arcana, each squad chooses a cult (troops choices must be same as warlord) and gain access to a specfic psychic discipline and an additional bonus, there are 5 cults listed. 

if any 1Ksons unit suffers an a wound (unsaved) due to perils, every 1kson unit in the army must take a pinning test

if all indepedant characters in the army are killed the rest of the force suffers -1LD

GENERAL UNITS

praetors may take up to 1-3 mastery levels

veteran squads and terminator squads can purchase brotherhood of the pysker

wargear

item that can ignore the first perils caused wound

plasma cannon with soul blaze

Asphyx rounds (bolter type weapons)

weapon gains shred, various points causes for certain units

UNITS

Osiron dreadnought

contemptor upgrade, gains psychic pliot (lv1), admanitum will, and repaces dreadnought close combat weapon with force blade with combi-bolter (aphyx shells)

special type of castellax

basically plain castellax which uses pyskers instead of cybernetic cortex. only has mauler cannons

SEKHMET terminators

basically terminators with force weapons instead of power weapons, also brotherhood (lv2)

Khenetai occult blade squad

twin force swords, bonuses for more models in squad

brotherhood (lv1)

Ammitara occult intercession cabal

super scouts with access to melta and plasma guns

brotherhood (lv1) with their own special power which gives rerolls to hit and wound, plus ignores cover

RITES OF WAR

number 1

passes all morale and pinning tests while in 6" of an objective

overwatch at BS2

reroll to hit and wound against enemy units which are falling back

all troops choices must be max size

number 2

roll 2d6 for warp charges, and take the highest

terminator armed models may deepstrike, gain fear and may reroll failed invuln saves of 1's until the begaining of their next turn

Sekhmet terminators are complusory troops for this rite

magnus the red is a HQ choice (complusory) not a lord of war as usual

warlord must be magnus, arihman, or praetor with mastery level 3

no allies or fortification 

must have less vehicles than units with LA:thousand sons

CHARACTERS

ahriman

mastery level 4

3 1kson units gain scout as his warlord trait

his command squad may take brotherhood of the psyker

mastercrafted force axe

Magistus Amon

master of spies, mastery level 3, allows a single non-superheavy non-flyer unit to deploy by outflank on a predetermined turn

Book in hand, AMA on TS rules I guess. Then we can get some real tactics discussion moving forward!

The Khenetai seem pretty cool, minus having to use force swords (so AP3 only, but still nice). They're WS5, and their special rule is kind of like the Fulmentarus Terminator rule where the more there are, the better they get.

1-3 squad members = +1 Attack

4-8 = +1 Attack, +1WS

9-10 = +2 Attack, +1WS

Although only base one attack with the exception of the Blademaster. Fragile unit, but that's a huge amount of force weapon attacks at max strength. They are also expensive (+10 base price on Alpha Legion Headhunters and same price per additional Blade).

Also, pretty sure this is the same cabal that Sanakht is from (in the Ahriman trilogy).

Book in hand, AMA on TS rules I guess. Then we can get some real tactics discussion moving forward!

The Khenetai seem pretty cool, minus having to use force swords (so AP3 only, but still nice). They're WS5, and their special rule is kind of like the Fulmentarus Terminator rule where the more there are, the better they get.

1-3 squad members = +1 Attack

4-8 = +1 Attack, +1WS

9-10 = +2 Attack, +1WS

Although only base one attack with the exception of the Blademaster. Fragile unit, but that's a huge amount of force weapon attacks at max strength. They are also expensive (+10 base price on Alpha Legion Headhunters and same price per additional Blade).

Also, pretty sure this is the same cabal that Sanakht is from (in the Ahriman trilogy).

What are the rules for the five cults? Any new psychic powers?

I'm loving the 1kson cult rules. I may have to save my breachers for 1ksons after seeing this, getting a +1 to invuls is awesome. Not needing to buy a cyber familiar for the Praetor is pretty cool too(only half glad that you cant stack them for a 2++). Tartaros with a 4++ and powers is also delicious. The Precog one is great for heavy support squads. The other powers are situational at best though.

So all Thousand Sons units have this Cult Arcana rule that means they have to take one of the Cult bonuses. It's a little like the Alpha Legion's Mutable Tactics, but varies per squad instead of per army. You also must select your Arcana for your units when buliding the army list, unlike the Alpha Legion who pick with Warlord traits. However, Compulsory Troops must use the same Arcana as the Warlord (or if you're using an Allied detachment, same Arcana as the compulsory HQ, in case you thought you could work around that somehow...).

For non-psychic units, the benefits are:

Pavoni = +1 to run & sweeping advance distances

Raptora = Gains a 6+ invuln or +1 to its existing invuln, max 3+

Corvidae = must re-roll failed to hit rolls of 1 when shooting and if it remained stationary in the movement phase

Athanaean = Immune to Fear, Adamantium Will

Ashen Blow = Gains HoW, or if it had HoW it now inflicts two HoW attacks when charging

I'm actually not 100% and need to read it a lot more (information overload right now), but psychic units may get those bonuses on top of their mastery levels. I'm pretty sure they do?

What are the points costs of the unique units as well as any legion specific upgrades as well?

I won't be covering points costs, but special wargear I can do.

Arcane Litanies: Independent Char upgrade that lets you reroll the character's first failed Perils

Aether-Fire Cannon: it's a Plasma Cannon with Soul-blaze

Asphyx Shells: Think Banestrike, but instead of occasionally "rending" into AP3, you just get shred. Available for Independent Characters, Vets, Terminators, and Rotor Cannons.
Edited by LetsYouDown

So all Thousand Sons units have this Cult Arcana rule that means they have to take one of the Cult bonuses. It's a little like the Alpha Legion's Mutable Tactics, but varies per squad instead of per army. You also must select your Arcana for your units when buliding the army list, unlike the Alpha Legion who pick with Warlord traits. However, Compulsory Troops must use the same Arcana as the Warlord (or if you're using an Allied detachment, same Arcana as the compulsory HQ, in case you thought you could work around that somehow...).

For non-psychic units, the benefits are:

Corvidae = must re-roll failed to hit rolls of 1 when shooting and if it remained stationary in the movement phase

Ashen Blow = Gains HoW, or if it had HoW it now inflicts two HoW attacks when charging

I'm actually not 100% and need to read it a lot more (information overload right now), but psychic units may get those bonuses on top of their mastery levels. I'm pretty sure they do?

I see, so the cult choice gives them a power or two as well?

Can you detail the unique terminators and automata please :smile.:

The Sekhmet are 2 wound terminators that can SPECIFICALLY, CALLED OUT, THIS IS REAL take either Cataphractii or Tartaros, but the whole squad must take the same armour. All have Force Weapons (axe/maul/sword) and combi-bolters with the Asphyx shredding shells. Stubborn and Brotherhood Lv2 with access to Telekinesis and Pyromancy. Very limited wargear options otherwise, can take Chainfists though (lose force weapon) or swap Asphyx-bolters for Asphyx-combi-weapon (the bolter component keeps Asphyx shells).

The Castellax-Achea are Castellax with Asphyx shells (even in the Mauler, everything gets Asphyx!). Can swap Mauler for the Aether-flame cannon. They basically have Cybernetica Cortex but instead of needing a Magos Dominus to control them, they need a Psyker w/in 24". A psyker casting Witchfire or Malediction within 12" of them can cast as if from the automata instead of themselves to effectively extend psychic power range. Oh, and they can explode catastrophically if ANY Psyker suffers Perils w/in 12", too.

Not necessarily.

What Psychic Powers can Magnus take?

Not necessarily.

So they never get any psychic powers to cast then with basic units?

Edited by ANGRYMARINE

What Psychic Powers can Magnus take?

He randomly generates 5 from Telekinesis, Pyromancy, Divination, Telepathy, Sanctic Daemonology and Biomancy. You can pick from which discipline you want to randomly generate, in any combination. So you could choose 3 Telepathy and 2 Sanctic for example.

Shred bolter rounds will be sick on Marksmen Veterans. Shred and Sniper? Yes please.

Looks like I will need to buy some of those pretty 40K models, if only to use for the Terminators. 

The veterans and combat unit could also probably made quite nicely with the 40K thousand sons box.

The Rites do not seem amazing, the first one mainly because who wants to field 40 tactical marines, bleh. Second one seems interesting, depending on whether it means terminators can be taken as compulsory, or they are compulsory (thus minimum of two units).

Three main questions for me right now are:

1. What do the automata do?

2. are Sekhmen tartaros, cataphractii, or just "terminators"?

3. What do the automata do?

So he can know an entire school +/- if he so desired? Coolios! Having Magnus with Nova Powers can actually be hilariously devastating if you roll that 11 or 12 on the supercharge to hit everything in range with D.

These do not seem great.

This is going to be the default option for any characters, Terminators, Breachers, or Assault Marines.

Corvidae = must re-roll failed to hit rolls of 1 when shooting and if it remained stationary in the movement phase.

This is going to be the default for rapier teams. Heavy support teams could use it too, but a fortification with ammo dump is an alternative, in which case they can also take Raptora.

Eh, maybe on bikes? Assault marines have hammer of wrath too, but I think they would much rather have those improved combat shields.

The special termis are interesting. Will have to see the prices for them to do a full evaluation. Telekinesis and Pyromancy aren't very strong without a fair amount of luck. If they're cheap enough you can use them as batteries a bodyguard for Magnus.

And Magnus has a very high shot of getting invisibility, but then you miss out on things like potential 2d6 ignores cover S:D shots. Could go for the biomancy table with smite; 4+2d6 is average of 11.

Wait I just reread his Aura ability, it's a flat -1 to hit him and his unit; not -1 to Ballistic Skill which snap shots would ignore. Take invisibility and you can't be shot? Good game FW. Optimally you'd fish for invisibility with the rest of your army before Magnus, then if you get it on someone else, fish for the best power to turn into S:D.

Edited by Nusquam

These do not seem great.

This is going to be the default option for any characters, Terminators, Breachers, or Assault Marines.

Corvidae = must re-roll failed to hit rolls of 1 when shooting and if it remained stationary in the movement phase.

This is going to be the default for rapier teams. Heavy support teams could use it too, but a fortification with ammo dump is an alternative, in which case they can also take Raptora.

Eh, maybe on bikes? Assault marines have hammer of wrath too, but I think they would much rather have those improved combat shields.

I think Pavoni is good for certain melee Veterans, getting endurance on a squad of termies would be amazing, and Fearless is nice along with having psychic shriek.

Also Biomancy, Divination, or Telepathy would turn him into a deathstar. Iron Arm and Endurance would make him so hard to take down and would probably make him do well vs other primarchs.

Edited by ANGRYMARINE

On the flip side, I'm not really impressed by the Ammitara are... underwhelming? Their psychic power is brilliant, but sniper rifles are sniper rifles.

Castellax-Achea are cute. I think they might be the only unit that makes good use of the special plasma cannons, in fact. Castellax with delicious 36" S7 AP2 blasts...

And the Khenetai Blades. Hm. Don't see them doing anything without an assault transport.

Edited by Mango Polo