[HH1.0] Thousand Sons tactica

Excessus

• 2 months later...

When I spotted the new TS Praetor model (having two spare Cataphractii Terminator sprues) I wonder if one could do a tGotCK RoW built with 15 DS termies and a scouting Proteus (with Exploratory Augury Web) full of infiltrating Ammitara plus Master of Signal.

Any experiences with such a built?

I think it might not be possible within 1500pts, but probably in a 1750 or 2000 pts game with another unit on top, like a volkite support or heavy support.

thought?

• 1 month later...

Here is more or less the same question again: GotCK with Termies as Troops. What are your builds?

I am theory crafting, not going to start another army, but would this be do-able?

+++ TS-GotCK (Warhammer 30,000 - The Horus Heresy) [2000pts] +++

++ The Age of Darkness (Legiones Astartes: Age of Darkness Army List) [2000pts] ++

+ HQ +

Legion Praetor [500pts]: Arcane Litanies, Asphyx Shells, Cataphractii Terminator Armour, Cult Arcana: Raptora (Telekinesis), Digital Lasers, Mastery Level 3, None, Refractor Field, Volkite Charger
. . Legion Terminator Command Squad: Cataphractii Terminator Armour, Cult Arcana: Raptora (Telekinesis), Grenade Harness, 4x Legion Space Marine Chosen, Legion Standard Bearer, Reaper Autocannon, 4x Volkite Charger
. . Upgrade Power weapon to:: Force Sword

+ Elites +

Legion Veteran Tactical Squad [345pts]: Asphyx Shells, Brotherhood of Psykers, Cult Arcana: Raptora (Telekinesis)
. . Legion Rhino Armoured Carrier: Dozer Blade, Extra Armour, Hunter-killer Missile, Multi Melta
. . Legion Veteran Sergeant: Artificer Armour, Bolt Pistol, Chainsword/Combat Blade, Plasma Pistol
. . Legion Veteran Space Marines: Bolt Pistol, Bolter, Chainsword or Combat Blade, Legion Vexilla
. . Legion Veteran Space Marines: Bolt Pistol, Bolter, Chainsword or Combat Blade, Nuncio-vox
. . Legion Veteran Space Marines: Bolt Pistol, Bolter, Chainsword or Combat Blade
. . Legion Veteran Space Marines: Bolt Pistol, Bolter, Chainsword or Combat Blade
. . Legion Veteran Space Marines W/ Special Weapon: Bolt Pistol, Chainsword or Combat Blade, Plasma gun
. . Legion Veteran Space Marines W/ Special Weapon: Bolt Pistol, Chainsword or Combat Blade, Plasma gun

+ Troops +

Sekhmet Terminator Cabal [330pts]: Cataphractii Terminator Armour, Cult Arcana: Raptora (Telekinesis)
. . Sekhmet Inceptor: Chainfist
. . . . Combi-Weapon: Meltagun
. . Sekhmet Terminator: Force Sword

Sekhmet Terminator Cabal [325pts]: Cataphractii Terminator Armour, Cult Arcana: Raptora (Telekinesis)
. . Sekhmet Inceptor: Power Fist
. . . . Combi-Weapon: Plasma gun

+ Fast Attack +

Ammitara Occult Intercession Cabal [180pts]: Ammitara Intercessor, Ammitara Intercessor, Ammitara Intercessor, Ammitara Intercessor, Cult Arcana: Raptora (Telekinesis)
. . Ammitara Fate: Melta bombs, Nuncio-vox
. . Ammitara Intercessor w/ Special Weapon: Plasma Gun

Ammitara Occult Intercession Cabal [180pts]: Ammitara Intercessor, Ammitara Intercessor, Ammitara Intercessor, Ammitara Intercessor, Cult Arcana: Raptora (Telekinesis)

Legion Javelin Attack Speeder Squadron [140pts]
. . Legion Javelin Attack Speeder: Hunter-killer Missile, Multi-melta, Twin-linked Cyclone missile launcher
. . Legion Javelin Attack Speeder: Hunter-killer Missile, Multi-melta, Twin-linked Cyclone missile launcher

+ Allegiance +

Legion and Allegiance:   XV: Thousand Sons, Traitor

Rite of War: The Guard of the Crimson King

Created with BattleScribe

• 3 weeks later...

Here is more or less the same question again: GotCK with Termies as Troops. What are your builds?

I am theory crafting, not going to start another army, but would this be do-able?

++ The Age of Darkness (Legiones Astartes: Age of Darkness Army List) [2000pts] ++

+ HQ +

Legion Praetor [500pts]: Arcane Litanies, Asphyx Shells, Cataphractii Terminator Armour, Cult Arcana: Raptora (Telekinesis), Digital Lasers, Mastery Level 3, None, Refractor Field, Volkite Charger

. . Legion Terminator Command Squad: Cataphractii Terminator Armour, Cult Arcana: Raptora (Telekinesis), Grenade Harness, 4x Legion Space Marine Chosen, Legion Standard Bearer, Reaper Autocannon, 4x Volkite Charger

+ Elites +

Legion Veteran Tactical Squad [345pts]: Asphyx Shells, Brotherhood of Psykers, Cult Arcana: Raptora (Telekinesis)

. . Legion Rhino Armoured Carrier: Dozer Blade, Extra Armour, Hunter-killer Missile, Multi Melta

. . Legion Veteran Sergeant: Artificer Armour, Bolt Pistol, Chainsword/Combat Blade, Plasma Pistol

. . Legion Veteran Space Marines: Bolt Pistol, Bolter, Chainsword or Combat Blade, Legion Vexilla

. . Legion Veteran Space Marines: Bolt Pistol, Bolter, Chainsword or Combat Blade, Nuncio-vox

+ Troops +

Sekhmet Terminator Cabal [330pts]: Cataphractii Terminator Armour, Cult Arcana: Raptora (Telekinesis)

. . Sekhmet Inceptor: Chainfist

Sekhmet Terminator Cabal [325pts]: Cataphractii Terminator Armour, Cult Arcana: Raptora (Telekinesis)

. . Sekhmet Inceptor: Power Fist

+ Fast Attack +

Legion Javelin Attack Speeder Squadron [140pts]

+ Allegiance +

Legion and Allegiance: XV: Thousand Sons, Traitor

What are the Ammitara doing usually? You have plenty of ways to kill infantry without them, and your anti-armor is quite fragile.

I like the idea of the rest of the list, but just wonder at the lack of HQs and lascannons/etc.

What are the Ammitara doing usually? You have plenty of ways to kill infantry without them, and your anti-armor is quite fragile.

I like the idea of the rest of the list, but just wonder at the lack of HQs and lascannons/etc.

My starting point here is that i have 10 terminator bodies and access to 2 javelins. I just wonder if i can make them in a small fluffy,  fun force, preferably GotCK-RoW. So overall I aim at a rather light vanguard force with DS-ing terminators. 1-2 flyer and skimmers could be monetary-expensive, but fluffy of course. Also I pondered with including automata like a Praevian with Castellax or psi-controlled Castellax-Achea, but it appears to be point-expensive quickly and also rather immobile.

To answer your question: I wanted both Ammitara squads to infiltrate and serve as nuncio-vox anchors for the DS terminators. Of course they also act as anti-meq, but mainly I thought to use them as bridgehead. Should they be used differently or does one + veterans suffice?

Two Terminator-squads + level 3 psyker are the baseline for the RoW and one Ammitara is the core of the idea really. Probably a bad idea, but i do not have any experience with them or the RoW and also did not find much about them on the internet.

The rest is on the negotiation table of course:

1. The Command Squad: iirc it is a bit cheaper than the Sekhmet, but probably it is not really needed, especially because the Volkite is not so necessary. Command with Volkite just looks good.

2. The second Ammitara and the Veterans are probably not needed in the tandem. I could safe the points for either units and add something else.

3. The two Javelins should be used for being mobile and for bringing a little bit of melta. I would like to use them. If they were not in the list I might not even start this additional force, because i do not see myself building a big TS army beyond 2000pts build around the terminators. Javelins also look good in purple :wink:

So the way I see it is that there is mainly the question of load-out changes and numbers-tuning. For AA i do not see any (mobile) options other than a Primaris-Lightning Strike Fighter in addition to more Chain-/Fists and Javelins. Or is there something else?

Here is a list with 3 units of Sekhmets with more fists on the terminators and now combi-weapons and MBs on the veterans, plus a (light) Primaris-Lightning.

+ HQ +

Legion Praetor [260pts]: Arcane Litanies, Asphyx Shells, Cataphractii Terminator Armour, Combi-Bolter, Cult Arcana: Raptora (Telekinesis), Mastercraft a Single Weapon, Mastery Level 3, None, Refractor Field

+ Elites +

Legion Veteran Tactical Squad [405pts]: Brotherhood of Psykers, Cult Arcana: Raptora (Telekinesis), Melta Bombs, Veteran Tactics: Marksmen, Nuncio-vox, Legion Vexilla
. . Legion Rhino Armoured Carrier: Dozer Blade, Heavy Bolter
1x Legion Veteran Sergeant: Artificer Armour, Bolt Pistol, Power Fist, Combi-weapon: Combi-weapon: Plasma gun
9x Legion Veteran Space Marines: Bolt Pistol, Combat Blade, Combi-weapon: Plasma gun

+ Troops +

Sekhmet Terminator Cabal [260pts]: Cataphractii Terminator Armour, Cult Arcana: Raptora (Telekinesis)
1x Sekhmet Inceptor: Combi-Bolter, Power Fist
4x Sekhmet Terminator: Combi-Bolter, Force Sword

Sekhmet Terminator Cabal [300pts]: Cataphractii Terminator Armour, Cult Arcana: Raptora (Telekinesis)
1x Sekhmet Inceptor: Combi-Weapon: Plasma gun, Chainfist
2x Sekhmet Terminator: Combi-Weapon: Plasma gun, Power Fist
2x Sekhmet Terminator: Combi-Weapon: Plasma gun, Force Sword

Sekhmet Terminator Cabal [300pts]: Cataphractii Terminator Armour, Cult Arcana: Raptora (Telekinesis)
1x Sekhmet Inceptor: Combi-Weapon: Meltagun, Chainfist
2x Sekhmet Terminator: Combi-Weapon: Melta gun, Power Fist
2x Sekhmet Terminator: Combi-Weapon: Melta gun, Force Sword

+ Fast Attack +

Ammitara Occult Intercession Cabal [150pts]: Ammitara Intercessor, Ammitara Intercessor, Ammitara Intercessor, Ammitara Intercessor, Cult Arcana: Raptora (Telekinesis)

Legion Javelin Attack Speeder Squadron [130pts]
2x Legion Javelin Attack Speeder: Multi-melta, Twin-linked Cyclone missile launcher

Primaris-Lightning Strike Fighter [195pts]: Battle Servitor Control, Ground-tracking Auguries, Kraken Penetrator Heavy missile

+ Allegiance +

edit: improved list, i should get extra Kraken and have fewer veterans.
Edited by okonomiyakimarine

Haha. I was actually going to post that exact thing. Krakens ftw.

It looks good to me. I think in any GotCK list the issue will be armor. Both having it yourself and taking it down. Up close, no issue. But once the speeders are gone it will be tough against an armored squad. No real way to change it though.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is an expansion to 2.5k of the list with some adaptions to make it more solid all around I think. It looks fun and feels like something that can get in your face early on. As a DS-list it is not too mobile in mid- to late-game of course. So mainly there is a bit more AA now and more potential for T1 and T2. I like how there are three units to infiltrate, outflank and drop and then there are the three squads of DS Sekhment plus the flyer to clean up.

Vigilator infiltrates and scouts together with Ammitara. Hopefully they blow something up, afterwards they will mainly be a DS anchor for the Sekhmet and potentially a bit of a distraction for marines as long as they are in cover.

1st squad of Veterans drop with the single Dreadclaw. Depending on the opponent it is either Melta or Plasma, but it is more probable to use them as machine killers and an anchor for the Sekhmet.

2nd squad of Veterans either sit somewhere in the Proteus (which manipulates reserve rolls!) or outflank. Of course they bring a NuncioVox to serve as a DS anchor.

If there is any more enemy tanks on the table it should be killed by the Lighting's Kraken. 

I'd appreciate, if you guys can check the list for soft spots! C&C welcome!

+++ TS-GotCK (Warhammer 30,000 - The Horus Heresy) [2498pts] +++

++ The Age of Darkness (Legiones Astartes: Age of Darkness Army List) [2498pts] ++

+ HQ +

Legion Praetor [260pts]: Arcane Litanies, Asphyx Shells, Cataphractii Terminator Armour, Combi-Bolter, Cult Arcana: Raptora (Telekinesis), Mastercraft a Single Weapon, Mastery Level 3, None, Refractor Field

Vigilator [115pts]: Artificer Armour, Bolt Pistol, Chainsword or Combat Blade, Cult Arcana: Corvidae (Divination), None, Refractor Field, Volkite Charger
. . Consul: Vigilator

+ Elites +

Legion Veteran Tactical Squad [244pts]: Asphyx Shells, Cult Arcana: Athanean (Telepathy), Veteran Tactics: Marksmen
1x Legion Veteran Sergeant: Artificer Armour, Bolt Pistol
. . . . Combi-weapon: Combi-weapon: Plasma gun
. . . . Power Weapon: Power Sword
1x Legion Veteran: Bolt Pistol, Chainsword or Combat Blade, Nuncio-vox
5x Legion Veteran:  Bolt Pistol, Chainsword or Combat Blade

Legion Veteran Tactical Squad [274pts]: Asphyx Shells, Cult Arcana: Corvidae (Divination), Melta Bombs, Veteran Tactics: Machine Killers
1x Legion Veteran Sergeant: Artificer Armour, Bolt Pistol, Power Fist
. . . . Combi-weapon: Combi-weapon: Meltagun
1x Legion Veteran: Bolt Pistol, Chainsword or Combat Blade, Nuncio-vox
5x Legion Veteran: Bolt Pistol, Chainsword or Combat Blade

+ Troops +

Sekhmet Terminator Cabal [255pts]: Cataphractii Terminator Armour, Cult Arcana: Raptora (Telekinesis)
1x Sekhmet Inceptor: Combi-Bolter, Force Sword
4x Sekhmet Terminator: Combi-Bolter, Force Sword

1x Sekhmet Inceptor: Combi-Weapon: Plasma gun, Chainfist
2x Sekhmet Terminator: Combi-Weapon: Plasma gun, Power Fist
2x Sekhmet Terminator: Combi-Weapon: Plasma gun, Force Sword

Sekhmet Terminator Cabal [300pts]: Cataphractii Terminator Armour, Cult Arcana: Raptora (Telekinesis)
1x Sekhmet Inceptor: Combi-Weapon: Melta gun, Chainfist
2x Sekhmet Terminator: Combi-Weapon: Melta gunPower Fist
2x Sekhmet Terminator: Combi-Weapon: Melta gunForce Sword

+ Fast Attack +

Ammitara Occult Intercession Cabal [145pts]: Cult Arcana: Corvidae (Divination)
1x Ammitara Intercessor
1x Ammitara Intercessor,  Nuncio-vox
3x Ammitara Intercessor

Anvillus Pattern Dreadclaw Drop Pod [115pts]: Frag Assault Launchers

Primaris-Lightning Strike Fighter [220pts]: Battle Servitor Control, 2x Kraken Penetrator Heavy missile

+ Heavy Support +

Legion Land Raider Battle Squadron [270pts]
. . Land Raider Proteus: Armoured Ceramite, Dozer Blade, Explorator Augury Web, Multi Melta

+ Allegiance +

edit: font

• 2 weeks later...

Looks fun, but your Vigilator needs to be in Scout armor to infiltrate I think.

Looks fun, but your Vigilator needs to be in Scout armor to infiltrate I think.

Yupp

good catch! thanks guys

List looks very good.  How are you building the Ammitara/Vigilator? I am thinking about just putting TS heads on the FW recon squads, but my conversion skills are not that creative and there are probably better ways.

Any thoughts on a mech infantry GotCK list? I am thinking about a 3x land raider/Sekhmet list, but can't decide if giving up DS is too much.  I don't particularly like the randomness of DSing, but love the all terminator list.

mechanized infantry GotCK gets expensive fast with all the land raiders you need (around 250 minimum per squad?). Also you have to find the space to deploy your HQ, probably with a command squad or a spartan. In the end that means less boots on the ground and the list already is not the biggest list with all these terminators. As a plus you stay mobile after the first deployment. But do you want to spend 750 pts out of 2500 pts for transport and extra gun platforms, when you can deploy for free? Maybe rather think about ways to increase you chances on good reserve rolls (command rhino, proteus with explorator augury web).

Keep in mind that this RoW limits the number of vehicles allowed and grants Fear as well as re-roll 1s of invulnerable saves on the turn you DS.

You have to build a list and see where it gets you though. I just sense that the only things shooting at your opponent in turn 1 might be the tanks.

I am happy for alternative ideas and optimization though ;)

I run a mechanized GotCK list that work's rather well. I have three Marksman vet squads in Rhinos who outflank and a Spartan. I put one terminator unit in the Spartan and DS another.

That's more like a Veteran-heavy GotCK list (3:2 vets), but I am sure it works well! I look forward for building the list slowly and thx for the advice for the Ammitara.

Any thoughts on a mech infantry GotCK list? I am thinking about a 3x land raider/Sekhmet list, but can't decide if giving up DS is too much.  I don't particularly like the randomness of DSing, but love the all terminator list.

mechanized infantry GotCK gets expensive fast with all the land raiders you need (around 250 minimum per squad?). Also you have to find the space to deploy your HQ, probably with a command squad or a spartan. In the end that means less boots on the ground and the list already is not the biggest list with all these terminators. As a plus you stay mobile after the first deployment. But do you want to spend 750 pts out of 2500 pts for transport and extra gun platforms, when you can deploy for free? Maybe rather think about ways to increase you chances on good reserve rolls (command rhino, proteus with explorator augury web).

Keep in mind that this RoW limits the number of vehicles allowed and grants Fear as well as re-roll 1s of invulnerable saves on the turn you DS.

You have to build a list and see where it gets you though. I just sense that the only things shooting at your opponent in turn 1 might be the tanks.

I am happy for alternative ideas and optimization though :wink:

Yeah those are definitely good points.  I started thinking about how to maximize both mobility and anti-armor in these types of lists, and honestly the Land Raiders seemed the best way to combine both even though they are expensive. 

And yes you are giving up all those nice bonuses, so I have some work to do in figuring this out.

• 2 months later...

Question regarding the Sekhmet Cabal since I can't find anything anywhere and I'd rather not go to FW.

Do Sekhmet benefit from Cult Arcana through the LA:TS rule? Are they scoring? And are they restricted to taking Spartans when in squads of 6-10?

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Rite of War: The Axis of Dissolution...

Discuss!

Obviously a pretty simple rite of war in terms of "sit there and shoot bro!" with bonuses to Morale and Overwatch. I think it could work quite nicely with Corvidae for even more accuracy.

Not to mention it's a much tamer than Guard of the Crimson King with no insane buffs and forcing you to have Max-sized troops is a good enough restriction to balance some more obtuse Psychic shenanigans. 

Axis of Dissolution is a waste of the paper it's written on. In an attempt to encourage you taking multiple large size squads, it then rewards you for using your full sized squads to shoot at something that's already not a part of the fight. And it's giving you bonuses to holding Objectives; excellent. You've taken multiple large footprint MEQ squads, bunching up, begging for Medusa, Fire Raptors, and common meta units to drop deuce on your head.

Axis of Dissolution is a waste of the paper it's written on. In an attempt to encourage you taking multiple large size squads, it then rewards you for using your full sized squads to shoot at something that's already not a part of the fight. And it's giving you bonuses to holding Objectives; excellent. You've taken multiple large footprint MEQ squads, bunching up, begging for Medusa, Fire Raptors, and common meta units to drop deuce on your head.

Okay sure - from hyper competitive that is certainly the case, but say you had to use it, how would you?

It's very easy to discount RoW (and I agree with everything you've said!) just trying to find some alternate thinking.