[HH1.0] Thousand Sons tactica

Excessus

Ah, sorry misunderstood the direction.

You have a lot of benefits to hit with shooting, which discounts Blasts and Templates. Any troops that aren't doing something are a waste. So, you're going to want to pick up a pair of Storm Eagles to carry them. I'd say Spartans, but I'm bored of Spartans being suggested. You're going to want some AT. You could also have Kharybdis if you want to make them an assault unit, but I'm less than fussed about Tactical Squads. The Corvidae benefits are mostly lost, so Raptora is pretty much the go-to. You're running Bulk Tac Squads, so having some save is better than none, especially as you don't have Apothecaries in a Storm Eagle. If you run Kharybdis, Ashen Blow Pyrae instead.

The most important thing is to take out AA like Deredeo and Arcus. I'm a fan of just podding in Dual Grav Box Dreads. Comparatively Cheap as chips, although weaker than Contemptors, people have Contemptor counters anyway.

The HQ needs to be either Raptora or Pyrae this way. Telekinesis is one of the better disciplines anyway, but Pyromancy doubles down on being crap, so I wouldn't bother going for any sort of Psyker optimizing. Terminator Praetor with Telekinesis gives you auto-hit strikedown, so use that to slow down enemies. Even with random rolls, the rest of the discipline is always helpful.

Terminator Praetor, Terminator Bodyguard, and 2* Telepath Librarians is okay, brought down in an Anvillus Pod. Telepath Librarians have a chance to roll for Terrify, which allows you trigger your shooting attack benefits without the enemies already being a neutered squad.

You've now used all HQ, 2 Elite, 2 Troops, all Fast Attack, and you have 3 Characters, 3 Squads, 2 Dreads, 2 Pods, 3 Flyers. I personally wouldn't leave home without Medusa, and you can take 3, as you have 6 Infantry units (3 HQ, Retinue, 2 Troops), but you can instead take Sicaran's; Arcus or Omega, or Deredeo's if you prefer.

The one thing I hate is that the Quad Bolters cannot be given Asphyx Shells, so, as boring as it sounds, Quad Mortars are legit for putting damage downrange, and Shred helps takes out Light vehicles. 

Praetor, 2 Mastery Levels, Tartaros, Chainfist, Combi-Plasma (Raptora)

- Retinue, Terminator Armour, Chainfists

Librarian 2 Mastery levels (Athanean)

Librarian 2 Mastery levels (Athanean)

Box Dreadnought, 2* Graviton Guns, Dreadnought Drop Pod

Box Dreadnought, 2* Graviton Guns, Dreadnought Drop Pod

Quad Mortars, Shatter
Quad Mortars, Shatter

Tac Squad, 20 Strong
Tac Squad, 20 Strong

Storm Eagle, Lascannons, Multimelta
Storm Eagle, Lascannons, Multimelta
Dreadclaw

3 Medusa or Sicarans.

While I have not yet used AoD, I have thought about it and I think it would shine in Centurion games where a lot of the "auto delete marine" weapons are restricted or not used at all, looking at you large blast templets!

Games of 1500-2000 points with centurion or even say a ZM game could be great for this RoW.

That is how I would use it if I had to.

Centurion? New to me. What's that?

Unnofficial "Eye of Horus Podcast" rules, but the premise is sound. You've been out of the game for while!

• 5 months later...

So, food for thought: 

GotCK specifically states that either Magnus, a lvl. 3 Praetor or Ahriman need to be selected as the warlord.

Compulsory troop choices in every TS army need to pick the same Cult Arcana as their warlord, and are only allowed to manifest powers from the matching psychic discipline, as per the new FAQ.

The disciplines for Sekhmet are set though, their only allowed choices being Pyromancy & Telekinesis.

Thus, their warlord would be restricted in turn to Pyrae & Raptora Cult Arcana as well, in this particular RoW where Sekhmet are the compulsory choices.

So, does this make Ahriman unable to function as the armies warlord then ? 

So, food for thought: 

GotCK specifically states that either Magnus, a lvl. 3 Praetor or Ahriman need to be selected as the warlord.

Compulsory troop choices in every TS army need to pick the same Cult Arcana as their warlord, and are only allowed to manifest powers from the matching psychic discipline, as per the new FAQ.

The disciplines for Sekhmet are set though, their only allowed choices being Pyromancy & Telekinesis.

Thus, their warlord would be restricted in turn to Pyrae & Raptora Cult Arcana as well, in this particular RoW where Sekhmet are the compulsory choices.

So, does this make Ahriman unable to function as the armies warlord then ? 

FAQ says Sekhmet can choose from any discipline now :)

Sekhmet Terminator Cabal (Page 214)

Under the heading Special Rules, remove the asterisks and phrase ‘A Sekhmet Terminator Cabal may choose its powers from the Telekinesis or Pyromancy disciplines’. In addition, add the following bullet point:
• Implacable Advance

• 5 months later...

FAQ says Sekhmet can choose from any discipline now :smile.:

Under the heading Special Rules, remove the asterisks and phrase ‘A Sekhmet Terminator Cabal may choose its powers from the Telekinesis or Pyromancy disciplines’. In addition, add the following bullet point:
• Implacable Advance

It just occurred to me that this doesn't solve anything, actually.

Still says they can only choose from Telekinesis or Pyromancy.

So, in this case, would their own rules supersede the 'same arcane as your warlord' requirement ? Or would it make Ahriman unfit to act as their warlord ?

FAQ says Sekhmet can choose from any discipline now :smile.:

• Implacable Advance

It just occurred to me that this doesn't solve anything, actually.

Still says they can only choose from Telekinesis or Pyromancy.

So, in this case, would their own rules supersede the 'same arcane as your warlord' requirement ? Or would it make Ahriman unfit to act as their warlord ?

The latter. Edited by Gorgoff

Quite silly then that he's mentioned as a possible HQ choice for the RoW.

But yeah, exactly what I thought.

Well, that is the new FAQ email adress:

HeresyFAQ@gwplc.com

Ask right away and they may answer it in future FAQ.

Edited by Gorgoff

I must be confused, if the FAQ removes the asterisk saying that the unit chooses its powers from telekenisis or pyromancy, then what is the problem? Where else does it say they have to be tele/pyro?

You're absolutely right.

Problem solved.

Ah, damn it. You're right of course fellow fraters.

I totally misread the FAQ entry, and read it as 'remove the asterisk and re-phrase ...' as opposed to 'remove the asterisk and phrase ...' Which would have a totally different meaning.

The error rest with me then. Problem solved indeed.

EDIT: spelling

Edited by Unknown Legionnaire

Ah, damn it. You're right of course fellow fraters.

I totally misread the FAQ entry, and read it as 'remove the asterisk and re-phrase ...' as opposed to 'remove the asterisk and phrase ...' Which would have a totally different meaning.

The error rest with me then. Problem solved indeed.

EDIT: spelling

Me too, so you're not alone. ;)

So with magnus faq to only str10 for an additional 175 points and only rollong 1d6 how do you all think about running magnus now. I dont feel the additional points is worth it

I agree I think the play is just run Magnus at 495 and roll on biomancy. 175 is to much for the upgrade but as a non 1ksons player I'm glad the D is gone.

He is still and absolute monster. S10 Novas are still incredibly powerful, just not broken. His ignoring a single perils can also save your army.

Plus you can still go Biomancy and punch through titans with ease.

I plan to run him at 495. I dont think the str10 on 1d6 is worth the extra points, specially when most spells are str4-6 and ap-

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, so ... when using Thousand Sons as an Allied Detachment, which rule would take precedence, the rule that the armies Warlord has to come from the Primary Detachment (BRB, page 136) or the 'Covenant of Sorcerers'  rule (HH7, page 208) ?