Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Thousand Sons tactica

Thousand Sons Horus Heresy

• Please log in to reply
705 replies to this topic

Hesh Kadesh

Hesh Kadesh

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,793 posts

Ah, sorry misunderstood the direction.

You have a lot of benefits to hit with shooting, which discounts Blasts and Templates. Any troops that aren't doing something are a waste. So, you're going to want to pick up a pair of Storm Eagles to carry them. I'd say Spartans, but I'm bored of Spartans being suggested. You're going to want some AT. You could also have Kharybdis if you want to make them an assault unit, but I'm less than fussed about Tactical Squads. The Corvidae benefits are mostly lost, so Raptora is pretty much the go-to. You're running Bulk Tac Squads, so having some save is better than none, especially as you don't have Apothecaries in a Storm Eagle. If you run Kharybdis, Ashen Blow Pyrae instead.

The most important thing is to take out AA like Deredeo and Arcus. I'm a fan of just podding in Dual Grav Box Dreads. Comparatively Cheap as chips, although weaker than Contemptors, people have Contemptor counters anyway.

The HQ needs to be either Raptora or Pyrae this way. Telekinesis is one of the better disciplines anyway, but Pyromancy doubles down on being crap, so I wouldn't bother going for any sort of Psyker optimizing. Terminator Praetor with Telekinesis gives you auto-hit strikedown, so use that to slow down enemies. Even with random rolls, the rest of the discipline is always helpful.

Terminator Praetor, Terminator Bodyguard, and 2* Telepath Librarians is okay, brought down in an Anvillus Pod. Telepath Librarians have a chance to roll for Terrify, which allows you trigger your shooting attack benefits without the enemies already being a neutered squad.

You've now used all HQ, 2 Elite, 2 Troops, all Fast Attack, and you have 3 Characters, 3 Squads, 2 Dreads, 2 Pods, 3 Flyers. I personally wouldn't leave home without Medusa, and you can take 3, as you have 6 Infantry units (3 HQ, Retinue, 2 Troops), but you can instead take Sicaran's; Arcus or Omega, or Deredeo's if you prefer.

The one thing I hate is that the Quad Bolters cannot be given Asphyx Shells, so, as boring as it sounds, Quad Mortars are legit for putting damage downrange, and Shred helps takes out Light vehicles. 

Praetor, 2 Mastery Levels, Tartaros, Chainfist, Combi-Plasma (Raptora)

- Retinue, Terminator Armour, Chainfists

Librarian 2 Mastery levels (Athanean)

Librarian 2 Mastery levels (Athanean)

Box Dreadnought, 2* Graviton Guns, Dreadnought Drop Pod

Box Dreadnought, 2* Graviton Guns, Dreadnought Drop Pod

Quad Mortars, Shatter
Quad Mortars, Shatter

Tac Squad, 20 Strong
Tac Squad, 20 Strong

Storm Eagle, Lascannons, Multimelta
Storm Eagle, Lascannons, Multimelta
Dreadclaw

3 Medusa or Sicarans.

• Charlo likes this

Resources;

Heresy Era Lords of War; use this to find out the complete collection of available Lords of War for Battles in the Age of Darkness.

ProsperoStands

ProsperoStands

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 44 posts
  • Faction: Luna Wolves, Thousand Sons

While I have not yet used AoD, I have thought about it and I think it would shine in Centurion games where a lot of the "auto delete marine" weapons are restricted or not used at all, looking at you large blast templets!

Games of 1500-2000 points with centurion or even say a ZM game could be great for this RoW.

That is how I would use it if I had to.

Hesh Kadesh

Hesh Kadesh

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,793 posts

Centurion? New to me. What's that?

Resources;

Heresy Era Lords of War; use this to find out the complete collection of available Lords of War for Battles in the Age of Darkness.

ProsperoStands

ProsperoStands

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 44 posts
  • Faction: Luna Wolves, Thousand Sons

https://ia601902.us....NTURION 1.1.pdf

Basically it encourages infantry based games. 

Charlo

Charlo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 17,562 posts
Exactly what I had in mind too. It's a great mid-level RoW for the type of game Centurion encourages!

Good list ideas Hesh - will have a digest of that.

Caillum

Caillum

++ MERCATOR ANGUIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 1,612 posts
  • Faction: XXth Legion, Shattered Legions

Centurion? New to me. What's that?

Unnofficial "Eye of Horus Podcast" rules, but the premise is sound. You've been out of the game for while!

The Battle of Paramar Nexus - Caillum's HH Plog

=][=

This is a sample of my Moderator voice.

I don't want to have to use it, so if you play nice and post constructively, I won't have to.

=][=

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Thousand Sons, Horus Heresy

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users