[HH1.0] Thousand Sons tactica

Excessus

Nah, I only had 10 warp charges in a 4k list...but 1300p of those was a daemon allied detachment! :D

I had a chosen, beasts, brutes, lessers, a shrike and a behemoth. Wings and rending/shred on anything that needed it and could take it, psyker lvl 2 for the chosen.

For the TS I had a focus on shooty and supporting units, because the daemons handle the melee part well.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

I haven't played heresy since the plague started. :(

...though I'm getting back into it now for an event in the autumn.

I haven't decided yet if I'm taking my cheesy Daemon allies yet though... :P

• 9 months later...

Bit of a drain dump as I go through all of the new rules.

Not touching the LA: TS rules much because they are pretty clearly outdated from phase 1, but there's still some interesting things:

• Minor Arcana flows along the same lines as before, but require a psychic check to activate. All the choices are now quite worthwhile.
  • Minor Arcana is mandatory, and now costs points. So it's a flat tax across the entire army for all eligible units and characters.
  • A psyker can have different Minor Arcana and Psychic Disciplines. E.g. Pyrae + Telepathy. This does open some interesting doors.
  • Can't stack Minor Arcana, so no trying to game that system with multiple different effects.
  • If a Psyker Character in a squad dies, another model can be nominated to take over psychic duties.

• Sekhmet are most definitely going to remain locked into Cataphractii armor. That's not great sadly.
  • Ammitara are gone. Sad, seeing as Snipers are looking extremely hot now.
  • Good god the Achaen castellax and aether weapons are :censored:. Hope that changes, but not going to hold my breath too much.

Now onto the general 2.0 rules:

• A psy check is a simple unmodified Ld roll. Roll equal/under the model's Ld to pass.
  • Failure is rolling over or double 6's (not that this matters since psy checks are unmodified Ld).
  • Failure triggers Perils, which causes d3 wounds. Only invulerable saves can be taken against these.
  • Perils wounds can be pawned off to other models in the same unit. A Sergeant can Perils, and let his unit deal with the damage.
  • Ld scores have typically dropped across the board by 1 for non-legion unique units. A Sarge or Command Squad will typically test at Ld 8 only.
  • If that Sarge dies, you're now testing at Ld7. That's getting into dangerous territory.

• Psychic abilities are now split into Powers and Weapons.
  • Weapons count as wargear, and melee psychic weapons can specifically grant +1A for a model having two weapons. A nice little boost to terminator models, and the Weapon doesn't even need to be manifested.
  • A model could technically use as many shooting weapons as they know, but this requires Firing Protocol (X). So... most likely no one can do that, not even Ahriman. Magnus gets a specific exception to that.

• Adamantium Will (X) is a straight invulerable save against wounds caused by enemy psychic weapons.
  • As written, powers that do not cause wounds can simply ignore adamantium will.

• Psychic Hoods are an automatic -2 Ld to psy checks of enemies within 18" LoS. Ouch.
  • Esoterists can be taken by both traitors and loyalists. A pretty solid alternative to Librarians.
  • Force weapons are now a psy check to double their strength, no more Instant Death.

Will be interesting to see how the LA: TS rules shape up in their final version, but between the points tax and perils there's definitely an angle for larger units, rather than multiple smaller ones.

Edited by Mango Polo

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all.

Just revisiting my thousand sons and wanting to build a bit more on them

Currently I have an army themed around the Pride of the Legion rite with Arhiman

I have a spare Arhiman body they I'm looking to convert to a consul.

My choices are;

Primus Medicae

Legion Champion

Legion Banner

All of these would be easy conversions and mostly cool looking.

So can I get some of your collected wisdom to help narrow down my choices. What's the pros and cons of each?

Not touching the LA: TS rules much because they are pretty clearly outdated from phase 1, but there's still some interesting things:

• Minor Arcana flows along the same lines as before, but require a psychic check to activate. All the choices are now quite worthwhile.
  • Minor Arcana is mandatory, and now costs points. So it's a flat tax across the entire army for all eligible units and characters.
  • A psyker can have different Minor Arcana and Psychic Disciplines. E.g. Pyrae + Telepathy. This does open some interesting doors.
  • Can't stack Minor Arcana, so no trying to game that system with multiple different effects.
  • If a Psyker Character in a squad dies, another model can be nominated to take over psychic duties.
  • Sekhmet are most definitely going to remain locked into Cataphractii armor. That's not great sadly.
  • Good god the Achaen castellax and aether weapons are :censored:. Hope that changes, but not going to hold my breath too much.

• A psy check is a simple unmodified Ld roll. Roll equal/under the model's Ld to pass.
  • Failure is rolling over or double 6's (not that this matters since psy checks are unmodified Ld).
  • Failure triggers Perils, which causes d3 wounds. Only invulerable saves can be taken against these.
  • Perils wounds can be pawned off to other models in the same unit. A Sergeant can Perils, and let his unit deal with the damage.
  • Ld scores have typically dropped across the board by 1 for non-legion unique units. A Sarge or Command Squad will typically test at Ld 8 only.
  • If that Sarge dies, you're now testing at Ld7. That's getting into dangerous territory.
  • Weapons count as wargear, and melee psychic weapons can specifically grant +1A for a model having two weapons. A nice little boost to terminator models, and the Weapon doesn't even need to be manifested.
  • A model could technically use as many shooting weapons as they know, but this requires Firing Protocol (X). So... most likely no one can do that, not even Ahriman. Magnus gets a specific exception to that.
  • Adamantium Will (X) is a straight invulerable save against wounds caused by enemy psychic weapons.
  • As written, powers that do not cause wounds can simply ignore adamantium will.
  • Psychic Hoods are an automatic -2 Ld to psy checks of enemies within 18" LoS. Ouch.
  • Esoterists can be taken by both traitors and loyalists. A pretty solid alternative to Librarians.
  • Force weapons are now a psy check to double their strength, no more Instant Death.

Will be interesting to see how the LA: TS rules shape up in their final version, but between the points tax and perils there's definitely an angle for larger units, rather than multiple smaller ones.

Where are you getting these 2.0 rules from? I've seen a few references to them but no real details

• Good god the Achaen castellax and aether weapons are :censored:. Hope that changes, but not going to hold my breath too much.

Where are you getting these 2.0 rules from? I've seen a few references to them but no real details

They're out in the interwebz. Check out the last, like, 30 pages or so of the State of the Union(Heresy) topic. I'm at work right now so I don't have the link handy.