Starting up again 16 years on...

NiceGuyAdi

Hi all,

I've been lurking around here for a few months, gradually getting more and more interested in a hobby I dropped when I was 18 (I'm 34 now). I haven't played a game of 40k for even longer (more like twenty years), so I'm sure I'll be getting battered left, right and centre once I get an army painted up. All part of the fun though, right?

Something that got me really interested was SCC's beautifully painted Raven Guard army, which sold me on the chapter. I've got my hands on some used Dark Vengeance Tactical Marines, stripped them, and am getting down to painting them. I'm a long, long way off his quality, but that's ok by me.

I'm right back at the bottom of the learning curve, but really enjoying this again, and thought I'd share my first forays with a brush. The top two Marines are aborted attempts at trying to do this with washes, the bottom two I'm happy enough with to complete the painting on:

_MG_4615.jpg?raw=1

Thanks again for having me on here, and looking forward to jumping back in.

Welcome to the B&C. I'd say you already have some good stuff for the WiP thread right there, some nice progress, did you cut the emblems off the shoulders? must say you did a good job if so, I took a knife to a shoulder and it was a pain to do.

Hope you enjoy your stay here.

Welcome to the B&C. I'd say you already have some good stuff for the WiP thread right there, some nice progress, did you cut the emblems off the shoulders? must say you did a good job if so, I took a knife to a shoulder and it was a pain to do.

Thanks man, think I might put up some stuff in the WIP.

On the shoulder pads, yes I did cut the emblems off. Takes a little patience but isn't too bad. I found it helped to hold the miniature and hobby knife as if peeling an apple and pulling the blade towards your thumb with the knuckle of your index finger. It gives you good control at the moment the knife slips so you don't gouge chunks out of it. You do have to be careful of your thumb, though, and wear eye protection (I flicked a piece of plastic into my eye and couldn't get it out for a day).

Ta!

Welcome to the B&C and that's a very nice paintjob you got going on there!  Definately do a WIP thread, it's a good way to stay motivated and get feedback on all you do.

As for tactics when you get playing, there is tons of advice you can find on this very forum :)  Just because you're new doesn't mean you can't win!

Archived