A Remembrancer's Notes

Ahazra Redth

This thread is basically just me writing little tidbits for fun. See, I like writing but I'm not a big fan of writing my own original stories. So in this thread I will be taking the role of a Remembrancer, writing down memories of his. If you have ideas for wha​t I should write about, please feel free to respond. If the thread gets long enough, I suppose I can put links in this post to each entry. Its just me being a storyteller, because thats what I'm good at. So, here I begin-

An Introduction

I am a Remembrancer. I am a poet, I am a historian. I am an Author, I am an artist. I see, and I learn, and I know. And by my title, I am tasked to write down what I see, and learn, and know.

I am old now, and though I expect to live much longer, I feel there are things I know which I must right down now, lest I forget them. Even now I am beginning to forget the details of some of my earliest adventures, although everything I plan on putting in this journal happened much later.

And so, I write my memories down now.

i- The Exorcists

In the few credible reports that exist describing Silas Alberec of the Exorcists chapter, the first thing that is noted is his stature. The most often used phrase is ‘Ogryn-like stature,’ and I suppose that will suffice in this instance as well. His armor is inscribed with hexagrammic wards, ancient symbols which help to, as I understand, protect them from the corrupting powers of the warp. He has stared into the warp, and those wards have been permanently etched into his skin and bones.

I can say that this is all true because I was there during the Badab war. I was aboard the Soyuz-Maru, the armed merchantman which Alberec took during the attack on the Sentinel-Sigma Station. I was there when he, in personal combat, slew Arkil Lionsmane, Chaplain of the Astral Claw. And I was there to hear the colorful language he used when he learned that several rebel ships made it past his blockade.

The heir-designate to become Chapter Master of The Exorcists has a past that is shrouded in secrecy and censorship. Of his past exploits it is known there were many, but thanks to the inherent mystery of a successor chapter of the Grey Knights and the destruction of files thanks to the High Lords, we know very few of these exploits.

One adventure we do know of happened during the mythic man’s earliest days in the chapter, occuring when he was still a Neophyte in the chapter’s Tenth. The Ordo Malleus Inquisitor Kahzan recruited him, along with a small strike force to to help destroy a suspected Daemon infestation on the Mars-Class battlecruiser Sundered Star. They boarded, and the battle began, and chaos ensued.

The ship began phasing in and out of the warp, plunging the strike force into the immaterium, and yanking them out just as quickly. Casualties were enormous. The group did there best, but there was no defeating the Daemons. Kahzan was bloodied and maimed, and the rest of the squad had been killed. But Alberec fought his way back, and dragged the near dead body of Kahzan into a salvation pod. They escaped just before the ship was pulled into the warp one last time, where it is assumed that the jaws of hell devoured it.

I got this account from Kahzan himself, and admittedly he was somewhat unstable. Therefore, I can’t say with all the world’s certainty that this is accurate. But after going through something like that, I doubt anyone would make it out fully sane. And despite that, his story seems to line up with the various rumors I heard during my short time with the chapter. I never got to ask Alberec himself, so I will assume this is how everything happened, unless Alberec himself, or else the Daemons who overtake the Sundered Star want to come forward and correct me.

It was between this event and the time I met the man that Alberec underwent countless acts of courage that led him become Captain of the Third, as well as become Keeper of the Vigils and earn the title of Adjutant of the Orison of the Broken Tower. It was also during this time that we can assume he was given the Hellslayer under unknown circumstances by an unknown member of the Inquisition.

The Hellslayer is a formidable weapon, even to those who don’t know its full power. It is a oversize power mace with the Hexagrammic wards mentioned earlier inscribed in it. Its size, combined with the alloy it is made of make it doubtful that a lesser man than Alberec could wield the weapon, much less pick it up. But Alberec can wield the weapon, and he wields it with as much grace as one can possibly wield such a thing.

One man who would be able to attest to the fatility and grace that the Hellslayer is wielded with would be Arkil Lionsmane. He would be able to because he fought against the weapon, but he can’t because it killed him. The former chaplain fought fiercely, wielding his Crozius Arcanum in one hand, and a fallen comrade’s bolter in the other. However, it would seem that once Lionsmane forsake the Emperor, His blessing left the Chaplain’s symbols of office, and the power within them faded. Even if they still bore the power they once had, it is uncertain that Lionsmane would have been able to defeat Alberec. In fact, it is highly unlikely. This is but one testament to the awe-inspiring power that this man and his weapon command.

Alberec is not the only hero amongst the Exorcists, though. One I have not met is the Epistolary named Sabazius. I hope to meet him someday, although I am unsure if that will ever happen or not. He had been seconded to the Deathwatch, and while undergoing the Long Watch he, along with an entire team of veterans, went missing.

I doubt a man like Sabazius, though, would simply disappear. The man had been an epistolary for a standard century before being dispatched to fight alongside the Inquisition to destroy a xenophage cult on the pleasure world Leucosia. He fought with such ferocity that to this day, millennia later, the story-tellers of Leucosia still recount how he descended from the sky to destroy the members of the nobility who had joined the cult.

Along with that epic feat, Sabazius is gifted with many abilities rare amongst the psykers of the Astartes, who themselves can be rare. One of these is the ability to discern the soul of an enemy in the Great Beyond, an ability which lets him ensure his foes are slain, and the ability that led to him discovering the Beast of Andronicus Prime was but a single entity, and assembling a team which would ultimately go missing.

Honestly, I am disappointed. I am disappointed in myself, and in the secrecy surrounding the chapter. While Alberec is a hero worthy of what I have written and more, Sabazius has been reduced to three paragraphs. This man who has been gifted with some of the rarest psychic abilities and who is a hero of the Exorcists, Inquisition, and Deathwatch has been reduced to three paragraphs, because of my lack of information.

As a Remembrancer, I must gather information, and I have been unable to do so. A very old saying says that only a poor craftsman blames his tools. I am a writer, my tools are my information, so I am here blaming my tools. But am I a poor craftsman? No. I am simply uninformed.

And while that is a shame, I believe I have done no wrong. What I have written here is more than the average man knows about this chapter. In fact, the average man most likely doesn’t even know about this chapter! But I have written my knowledge down, and that is my duty.

Archived