First Annual Battle for the Capital! 3 turn is up

I wish I saw this earlier, I would have loved to jump in on this I will definitely sign up for next year

We should look into maybe a campaign day or some kind of event at one of the shops.

More Ottawa Players!! We should consider doing a league with everyone were finding.

Still alive haahah its a giant mess of models. Youll see when we upload the pictures ^_^;

~70k points on a too-small table set up (we would have made it bigger in hindsight but whatever) makes for a very cramped game.

A little teaser to keep you guys busy while we finish this mess.

I realized last minute Slipstream wasn't going to have his primarch, and I couldn't have that happen. So I rumaged through my bits box to make a Dorn the go, and gave it to him on the day of as a suprise ;)

gallery_71633_9312_70564.jpggallery_71633_9312_14871.jpg

gallery_71633_9312_34538.jpggallery_71633_9312_9207.jpg

Ohh so slips gets a model but Kurama doesn't pffft!

Lucky he's a bloody mod now or I'd have to challenge him to blood knuckles

Can't wait for more pics guys

This calls for a...MURDER DUEEEL!!!

(please don't think I advocate violence)biggrin.png

Was this a floor battle?

all my participants got something ;)

This calls for a...MURDER DUEEEL!!!

(please don't think I advocate violence)biggrin.png

Was this a floor battle?

Hell know, old men like us don't need their knees destroyed. I bought a metric ton of tables at costco. This is in it's infancy, and I will be improving it as time goes on.

Preface

First of all, I want to thank everyone who participated, it was awesome and a smashing success overall. Lots of dice rolled, lots of cheeky trash talk (we went from PG to R by the end of turn one), we also downed an insane amount of food and beverage along the way. While we did not manage 6 turns, we did a solid 5 full turns of play, managing reserves in several waves. MASSIVE KUDOS TO MY GIRLFRIEND FOR SUSTAINING US NERDS FOR 2 DAYS with awesome meals.

The players, at out day 1 lunch break, eating barbecue jumbo dogs. Front left is Myself ( NINJA TURTLE PANTS BABY) Fuzzy Motton Chops is Dan (Night Lords - The Misunderstood) Center left is 1000 sons (Death Guard - Wall Hacking Mortarion) follwed by Zihui (Mechanicum + Solar Auxilia), Slipstreams (Imperial Fists, with 100% more Dorn) and Charles (I always have something in my mouth - Raven Guard)

gallery_71633_9312_14102.jpg

The Game Setup

Teams :

Loyalists - Slipstreams, Charles and myself

The Misunderstood - Dan, 1000 sons, Zihui

Both sides had roughly 35k-38k each. We did last minute tweaks for models that we could not manage during the week and gave out some some superheavies as well to balance out points and give players a better participation rate. we decided to have a Zone Mortalis game within the game running parallel. The ZM board was accessible via entrances on the table and teleportation was available for troops with Nuncio Voxes. There were 8 objectives on the ZM board, which would only 3 of them be worth random victory points (D3+3 each )at the game, revealed at random. It made investing in the trench warfare a huge risk that could not be ignored.

On the main table, 6 objectives were setup mid board at various locations. to promote active play and movement, if a side controlled an objective at the end of a game turn, it scored 2 points. We quickly realized that even with the extra tables I bought, we would not be able to slap everything on; and that was just as well. We ended up fielding as much as possible and keeping the rest in automatic reserves to fill in the gaps left in the wake of destruction. This helped accelerate the early game tremendously and even out the action and overall game balance. Most apocalypse games in my experience are a 2 turn affair and nothing stands after the initial decimation.

We went with Time bids to setup. The team that bids the least time goes first, and anything they fail to setup during that time is held in reserves. loyalists started the bid at 30 minutes, Traitors down to 20, and the we won the bid at 15.

this picture was taken during the Loyalist setup :

gallery_71633_9312_178754.jpg

The ZM board setup on the side has access points on the left side of the board (back boxes) and through the red mechanicum building mid board. Zihui brought a fortress to setup his Auxila parking lot in for infinite cover, but this will later have some dire repercussions for the Traitors. Green flags on the main table are objectives. Random miniatures from my bitz box on the ZM table are objectives (we added this feature last minute after harping on how awesome ZM is).

To come next, deployment...

Deployment and Turn One

I will be giving a gross overview of each turn with highlights, as thousands of dice were rolled and much and more died in anoymity.

Loyalist Deployment

gallery_71633_9312_158261.jpg

Traitor Deployment

gallery_71633_9312_204533.jpg

There isn't much to say about "Deployment Theoretical Tactics". As Guilliman would say, the practical was as follows : If your junk isn't on the table before the 15 minute clock runs out, it doesn't get to kill heretics! We zoomed everything we were able to cram on the table during the first 12 minutes and use the last 3 to reposition on swap a few units around. the forces of Chaos did the same, with Zihui's fortress taking a significant portion of the game space, it game them a ridiculous amount of cover to hide medusas behind and rapiers, at the cost of severely taxing their ability to deploy reinforcements.

Turn One

With a failed attempt at stealing the initiative, the Loyalists go first.

gallery_71633_9312_172003.jpg

Determined not to get outdone by Ferrus who his outflanking (in reserves) with several Landraiders, Dorn surges ahead of the battle line in the spartan and the Raven Guard drop 3 pods, and some infiltrating lascannon heavy support squad boldly deploy in front of the enemy warhound on the building. the sneaky lascannons remove all the void shields and a single hull point with their 10 shots. The rest of the shooting is just good old fashion foreplay. Until...

I was there, the day the Warhound slew the traitor engine... turbo laser fires, direct hit, rolls a 6 on the D chart, another 6 for the D6 + 6 and a 3rd 6 on the Meltdown table. Had Slipstreams not stolen First Blood with killing an insignificant dreadnought seconds before, this would have been the best scenario ever... The Chain Reaction takes out 2 predators and a proteus landraider as well!

gallery_71633_9312_267353.jpg

Traitors turn 1

With the Mechanicum/auxilia entrenched in their fortress, the Night Lords cannot sit idle very long and surge forward in an armoured spearhead on the left. They punish the recklessness of the Raven Guard heavily, and take out my precious sicaran venator. No other major casualty is inflicted at this time a few hull points are chipped here and there.

ZM board. The Imperial fists are heavily invested in controling the objectives, while the Nightlords clog the corridors with volkite weapons.

This is really tempting for next year. I could bring about 5k points of II Legion, plus the warlord Titan. But it would be a 12 hour drive for me from Chicago.

That is quite the drive indeed. However, if you have the stamina to grind that and play 2 13 hour game days, definitely consider it ;)

Archived