Wraithwing’s Deathwolves - A Space Wolves Painting Blog

Wraithwing

Over the last 20 years, I've collected many different armies for 40K. However, one army I've come back to, time and again, is the Space Wolves. I think I've painted up at least 3 separate Space Wolves armies over the years, with the most recent being a small dabble last year.

So, I have decided it is high time to collect, build and paint a proper, 1500 to 2000 point Space Wolves army. I want to be able to have an army that looks good on the tabletop, and more importantly, on my display shelf. I also want to finally be able to own a fully painted Warhammer 40K army, that I can use to play as and when RL permits (I think I've only ever properly completed one 40K army over the years!).

As such, I have created this WIP thread to keep track of my progress, and to provide motivation to continue. Many times I've started a new project, only for it to tail off as my focus shifts elsewhere. To try and combat this, I've gone ahead and bought the bulk of the army in one go, something which I don't think I have ever done, starting with this:

gallery_5348_11506_12130.jpg

On top of the Warriors of the Fang box set, I also have:

Harald Deathwolf

Krom Dragongaze

Wolf Priest (Games Day)

1x unit of Wolf Guard Terminators

1x unit of Wolf Scouts

1x unit of Grey Hunters

1x Space Wolves Upgrade pack

I'm pretty happy with this as a starting force. A good selection of elites, and 40 power armour bodies.

So, on with the WIP shots! Here's what I've done so far:

Wolf Scouts, with Plasma Pistol and Plasma Gun:

gallery_5348_11506_41102.jpg

Grey Hunters, with Combi-Melta and Melta Gun:

gallery_5348_11506_98883.jpg

I've got enough Space Wolf sprues to use all grey Hunter pack markings on this squad, like so:

gallery_5348_11506_12741.jpg

The Wolf Guard Pack Leaders Power Fist is magnetised, in case I need to shave points off etc.

Next up, I've started getting some paint on Harald himself:

gallery_5348_11506_25914.jpg

And Icetooth is almost completed:

gallery_5348_11506_82490.jpg

gallery_5348_11506_68981.jpg

gallery_5348_11506_106854.jpg

gallery_5348_11506_95579.jpg

This is the second time I've painted this miniature, and it is one of my favourties. I wanted to go for more of a grey Timber Wolf look this time, rather than the bone I used as a base last time.

On the table currently being assembled are the start of another Grey Hunter pack, this time with Plasma weaponry (both will be 10 man), and a unit of Wolf Guard Void Claws.

C&C is very much welcome!

Cheers,

WW

great start there mate...i love the paint job so far on the thunderwolf.  Im starting up a wolves army myself...currently sitting with two boxes of grey hunters/claws and longfangs and the BoC box set along with several packs of the upgrade sprue for Ragnars GC.  My intentions are to mix n match the parts for fairly basic infantry starter, looking at GH and Blood Claw units.  Ill add some thunderwolf and others as i go, so im looking at your updates with interest.

whats the paint scheme for your wolf and harald so far ?

any blood claws planned or going for competitve list over fluffy ?

ae you using the GW standard paintscheme for the power armour incidentally?

great start there mate...i love the paint job so far on the thunderwolf. Im starting up a wolves army myself...currently sitting with two boxes of grey hunters/claws and longfangs and the BoC box set along with several packs of the upgrade sprue for Ragnars GC. My intentions are to mix n match the parts for fairly basic infantry starter, looking at GH and Blood Claw units. Ill add some thunderwolf and others as i go, so im looking at your updates with interest.

whats the paint scheme for your wolf and harald so far ?

any blood claws planned or going for competitve list over fluffy ?

ae you using the GW standard paintscheme for the power armour incidentally?

That sounds like a great plan Beefeb.

For Harald, and the rest of the Company, I'm going with the traditional baby blue of the Space Wolves. I've always loved it, and while I also enjoy Wolves done in 13th Company Grey, seeing a well painted force of sky blue wolves is just a joy in my opinion.

I use a base of The Fang, then a wash of Nuln Oil, followed by layers of Russ Grey, then an edge highlight of Fenrisian Grey.

Here's a couple of pics of the last Harald I painted, and have since sold:

gallery_5348_2513_103766.jpg

gallery_5348_2513_50532.jpg

I'm going for the same style of armour, with the grey/blue and gold trim. However, I've opted to go for a more grey feel for Icetooth, and will be following the same scheme for when I add Thunderwolves to the army.

I'll definitely be using Blood Claws. Never properly painted any of them, so want a unit of 10, led by a Wolf Priest, in a Stormwolf. I'll expand them to 15 in bigger games!

Cheers,

WW

Sitting with my dex and sprues thismorning planning out parts.

Thanks for the pics of the previous paint job, lovely.

Is the Harald 'head' part a separate piece? If so i think i would be inclined to swap it out and make it a standard SW head.  I too really hate that bit of the model....all else is great, i just think its a character part and if you are doing a generic model rather than character it should be different.

The sprues have a good substitute head for Ragnar thankfully.

Anyway, looking forward to more images tonight.

Sitting with my dex and sprues thismorning planning out parts.

Thanks for the pics of the previous paint job, lovely.

Is the Harald 'head' part a separate piece? If so i think i would be inclined to swap it out and make it a standard SW head.  I too really hate that bit of the model....all else is great, i just think its a character part and if you are doing a generic model rather than character it should be different.

The sprues have a good substitute head for Ragnar thankfully.

Anyway, looking forward to more images tonight.

I bought this one already assembled, but pretty sure the head is seperate.

Thanks for the positive comments so far folks!

I've made a start on my second, Plasma equipped Grey Hunter pack:

gallery_5348_11506_64342.jpg

And I've magentised the Plasma Pistol Hunters CC weapon, just in case he gets an upgrade to Wolf Guard and finds a Frost Axe!

gallery_5348_11506_25493.jpg

Currently working on Harald's armour, so I hope to have some further WIP shots of him tomorrow.

Cheers,

WW

Very nice brush work. The blue of the frost axe looks great in contrast with the red/brown banding of the handgrip area.

Thanks bud!

Little bit more done to Harald. Hope to get him finished and assembled tomorrow:

gallery_5348_11506_119227.jpg

Also, managed to grab 5x Assault Marine running legs off of eBay, so made a start on my Blood Claws, starting with my (not really) Pack Leader:

gallery_5348_11506_41180.jpg

gallery_5348_11506_98061.jpg

Like the first Grey Hunter pack, these guys will all use the Blood Claw shoulder pad from the Space Wolves box set.

As always, C&C is welcome.

Cheers,

WW

Nice mixing of parts.  The wolf pelt on the 'not pack leader'...non standard bit ?  I see the normal claw limbs added to it, but the head section looks alternative.

Ive been building today myself.  I really need to start my own thread to submit my offerings for comment.  I dont have enuff sprues to put the dedicated shoulder pads on like you have, but i am using the ragnar great company ones.  I made my own ragnar up today, particularly pleased with it, will definately get the camera up and running over the weekend and start my thread next week.

I have to say the placing of Haralds painting pole looks particularly painful.

I was considering a wolf scouts pack or two myself.  I had never though much of the sniper armed ones but with the SW slant on them, the thought of the old experienced patient hunter being behind a sniper scope seemed very in keeping with the whole fluff of the army.

Nice mixing of parts. The wolf pelt on the 'not pack leader'...non standard bit ? I see the normal claw limbs added to it, but the head section looks alternative.

Ive been building today myself. I really need to start my own thread to submit my offerings for comment. I dont have enuff sprues to put the dedicated shoulder pads on like you have, but i am using the ragnar great company ones. I made my own ragnar up today, particularly pleased with it, will definately get the camera up and running over the weekend and start my thread next week.

I was considering a wolf scouts pack or two myself. I had never though much of the sniper armed ones but with the SW slant on them, the thought of the old experienced patient hunter being behind a sniper scope seemed very in keeping with the whole fluff of the army.

The pelt he used is from the original Space Wolves upgrade sprue that is now out of print. I think that axe is also from same sprue, though I thought it was left handed.

Nice mixing of parts. The wolf pelt on the 'not pack leader'...non standard bit ? I see the normal claw limbs added to it, but the head section looks alternative.

Ive been building today myself. I really need to start my own thread to submit my offerings for comment. I dont have enuff sprues to put the dedicated shoulder pads on like you have, but i am using the ragnar great company ones. I made my own ragnar up today, particularly pleased with it, will definately get the camera up and running over the weekend and start my thread next week.

I was considering a wolf scouts pack or two myself. I had never though much of the sniper armed ones but with the SW slant on them, the thought of the old experienced patient hunter being behind a sniper scope seemed very in keeping with the whole fluff of the army.

The pelt he used is from the original Space Wolves upgrade sprue that is now out of print. I think that axe is also from same sprue, though I thought it was left handed.

Correct on both accounts. The original pelt sacrificed it's paws to a conversion a long time ago, hence the repair.

The axe arm and handle is from the old assault sprue, with a Space Wolves axe head.

Definitely get s thread going beefeb, interested in seeing your Ragnar!

I've had a busy few days, but have managed to do a bit more on Harald, as well as almost finishing the first 5 of my Blood Claw pack.

Here's where I've got to with Harald so far:

gallery_5348_11506_178980.jpg

gallery_5348_11506_131574.jpg

gallery_5348_11506_194753.jpg

gallery_5348_11506_207466.jpg

There's still a fair bit to do before I'm ready to call him done. Need to finish his face and hair, as well as any bone areas, and tidy up and apply a final highlight to the gold. Also need to highlight the Frost Axe haft and the red areas.

He's slightly more colourful than my last Harald, which I like.

Regards,

WW

wow, lovely brush work wraithwing, really nice.

got undercoat and basecoat russ grey on my wolf priest and blood claws today, you paint fast dude, im juggling kids and work and hospital trips at the moment, painting is progressing at glacial speed, heheh.

cant wait to see what you do with the grey hunters and such

I really like what you've done with the shield, turning it into the ravening maw. Also the subtle tinge of blue in your grey armor is excellent. Perfect, subtle. 

Mechanically, you've done a very goo job, however I have one criticism that I apologize for: I know you matched the colours with the same ones GW's heay metal team did for for Harald, but their choice to do teal for the troll skin causes it to clashes with the other colours in the worst way. my advice is to match the cape with the colour of the frost axe (build up from blue to white). it'll will tie both of them into the model better without the clashing.

Archived