Wraithwing’s Deathwolves - A Space Wolves Painting Blog

Wraithwing

I really like what you've done with the shield, turning it into the ravening maw. Also the subtle tinge of blue in your grey armor is excellent. Perfect, subtle. 

Mechanically, you've done a very goo job, however I have one criticism that I apologize for: I know you matched the colours with the same ones GW's heay metal team did for for Harald, but their choice to do teal for the troll skin causes it to clashes with the other colours in the worst way. my advice is to match the cape with the colour of the frost axe (build up from blue to white). it'll will tie both of them into the model better without the clashing.

I can see where you are coming from Wispy, and I'm happy to take on all constructive criticism! :smile.:

The thing is, I quite like the teal colour of the trollskin, and quite like it that way. I think the armour has enough blue in it for the clash to not be as great as it could be. 

Each to their own though, and thanks for the kind comments! :biggrin.:

I think we can finally call Harald finished:

gallery_5348_11506_42116.jpg

gallery_5348_11506_149946.jpg

gallery_5348_11506_121310.jpg

gallery_5348_11506_116075.jpg

This is the first time I've used snow on bases, using bicarbonate of soda, pva and white paint. I might do another layer, for a thicker covering.

Next up on the painting table, Grey Hunters!

Cheers,

WW

looking great there.  Im looking forward to seeing what you do with the GH next.

Im progressing slowly with mine....i find the Russ Grey very transparent and really needs a good two or three coats to even cover up any agrax earthshade that overspills the target area.....do you have similar experience using this paint....its the first time ive used the colour and yours seems very nice smooth finish.

Time for a few more WIP shots, to keep the thread rolling.

First up, WIP shots of the start of two packs of Grey Hunters:

gallery_5348_11506_22788.jpg

gallery_5348_11506_173017.jpg

Blood Claws:

gallery_5348_11506_182588.jpg

Void Claws!

gallery_5348_11506_105950.jpg

And finally, my Wolf Priest:

gallery_5348_11506_62433.jpg

Hopefully, I can get the first half of the melta pack of GHs painted this coming weekend (have my Grandfathers funeral on Friday, so will serve as a good distraction). Then I plan to pick up a Command Squad box and use the legs and torso's to add some variety to the remaining halves of the packs that need building, as well as a building a GH with Wolf Standard.

Cheers,

WW

Nice....good stage by stage images, really enjoyinh them.

Ive ditched the blu grey finish and going for the actual grey finish on armour panels....i just couldnt get a decent finish on the Russ grey....my own limitations.

The WP....Gamesday mini yes?

Ive ditched the blu grey finish and going for the actual grey finish on armour panels....i just couldnt get a decent finish on the Russ grey....my own limitations.

That's right, Games Day Wolf Priest. Took me a while to track one down at a reasonable price. Bought one a few weeks back, and turned out to be a resin recast. A very good recast, but a recast nonetheless. As such, I sourced another metal Wolf Priest (I'm OCD like that). 

With regards to your Russ Grey, how are you painting it?

What colour are you using as a base? Straight over black, or do you base in The Fang first?

That's right, Games Day Wolf Priest. Took me a while to track one down at a reasonable price. Bought one a few weeks back, and turned out to be a resin recast. A very good recast, but a recast nonetheless. As such, I sourced another metal Wolf Priest (I'm OCD like that). 

With regards to your Russ Grey, how are you painting it?

What colour are you using as a base? Straight over black, or do you base in The Fang first?

I did it exactly as per the GW guide.  Then i tried it with Halfords Grey Plastic Primer....both ways it just didnt loo kgood for me.  Im a fairly decent painter....not to Golden Daemon or anything like that but i have been complimented on my paintjobs and won a couple of GW Store contess over the years so im not a novice.  

Its perhaps more a criticism of the light tones of the pain n the flesh so to speak.  I perhaps have a stereotype darker viking feel im looking for so its possibly down to that pre conceived notion.

By the way, i too am very ocd about minis.....when GW started the finecast monstrosities i bought up a lot of the metal sculpts that i had a good idea that i would want to try out sometime.  I grabbed the rune priest brandishing an axe, and the entirety of the BA character lineup.  I hate finecast resin, its awful.  If i see a model, no matter how good it is, if its finecast i move on.  I dont have issues with other resins...FW and other manufacturers stuff has been fine, but the finecast stuff i have found to be dross.  Thankfully all the new stuff is plastics.

The later batches of finecast were actually ok. I've only worked with a couple of minis in finecast, but both have been ok.

I must have been particularly unlucky then, every single one i got had at least 1 significant and very visible flaw in them.  I have for example a box of Ork Kommandos waiting to be assembled and painted.  These are now a couple of years old and i havent got round to them other than getting them out of the shrink wrap to gauge the effort required to get them up to scratch....very disheartening assessment indeed i have to say.  I also found that no matter what, any finecast blades are inevitably flexible or bent.  I so much prefer metal....that said, as i mentioned earlier the current run of plastic kits are simply beautiful,,,,i got the new BA Chaplain recently released and the detail and finish are superb.

Time for a few more WIP shots, just to keep the thread rolling.

First up, Fenrisian Wolves. These will be expanded into a pack of 10. I picked these up for free from a chap giving them away on Facebook. They were battered and badly painted, but after a few minutes in acetone free nail polish remover, I think they've come up OK!

gallery_5348_11506_185524.jpg

First time I've seen this kit in the flesh, and I'm pleasantly surprised by them, really nice miniatures.

Next up, the second half of my Blood Claw Pack:

gallery_5348_11506_77964.jpg

Again, I've used running legs for these guys, and love the sense of movement it gives them. These are from the new Assault Squad kit, so they are slightly more dynamic than the older Assault Marine legs.

Finally, I've done a Wolf Standard for my Plasma Grey Hunter Pack:

gallery_5348_11506_81422.jpg

gallery_5348_11506_59972.jpg

gallery_5348_11506_5335.jpg

I'm going to have a go at freehanding Harald's banner from the Companies of Fenris painting guide. This one:

gallery_5348_11506_17768.jpg

I haven't glued the banner, for ease of painting. I also wanted to use the cool holstered Bolter from the TWC kit, and think it works well here.

I'm hoping to get the remaining four Grey Hunters from the Plasma Pack built today.

As always, C&C is welcome.

Cheers,

WW

Five more Grey Hunters built:

gallery_5348_11506_73053.jpg

With the rest of the Pack:

gallery_5348_11506_69709.jpg

Plus, a sneaky group shot of what I've got so far:

gallery_5348_11506_28106.jpg

Still to build:

Five more Grey Hunters, for the Melta Pack

Drop Pod for the Melta Pack

Three Thunderwolf Cavalry

Still to buy:

Two more Drop Pods

Venerable Dreadnought

Three more Thunderwolf Cavalry

Stormwolf

I've also got enough PA bodies for a unit of Skyclaws and Long Fangs, but am in two minds about them.

Cheers,

WW

First half of my Melta Grey Hunters Pack done:

gallery_5348_11506_96025.jpg

I was really pleased that I managed to pick up 40 Harald Deathwolf Great Company symbol transfers for power armour, and 10 for terminator armour from a guy in a FB trading group. Also the first time I've used Microset and Microsol, so pretty happy with how these have come out:

gallery_5348_11506_165432.jpg

Just the grass tufts and snow on the bases left to do, but want to hit them with a coat of varnish before I do that. I've also used all of the same pack marking shoulder pads. I quite like the uniformity it gives. I'll be doing the same for my Blood Claws:

gallery_5348_11506_57953.jpg

The Wolf Guard Pack Leader's Power Fist is also magnetised, for when I need to shave points off the list:

gallery_5348_11506_105626.jpg

Also made a start to the Fenrisian Wolves:

gallery_5348_11506_50855.jpg

Pleased to get some painted units done, as it keeps the old momentum going!

C&C is, as always, welcome.

Cheers,

WW

Great look! One mild criticism is that the the bottom of the transfer looks awkward ending and then the red showing under it. I think it might look more polished if you extend the wolf head with paint to the shoulder rim.

Thanks BlodVargarna. Yeah, I noticed that more so after they had dried. There is a thin strip of transfer paper under the wolf head, so may trim that away for the next batch.

I also like to use the same shoulderpads on my models, but mine aren't painted... It looks really nice, WW. Great work.

Your metallics are also really nice, very smooth looking.

End of Line

Thanks RPR, I appreciate the positive comments!

Archived