3000pts Night Lords using two Calth boxes

omnivision6

You guys were awesome when you helped me with my EC list. As I eagerly await a full Thousand Sons release I'll be building a Night Lords army. I purchased two Calth boxes and will be using that as a base.

I'm hoping I've covered as many bases as possible with only one Heavy choice. I read a good portion of the Night Lords tactics and used all that as building blocks. Let me know what you guys think.

Sevetar goes with the deathstar in the spartan.

General plan is to pod in whatever best suits the situation first turn.

+++ Night Lords (3000pts) +++

++ Legiones Astartes: Crusade Army List (Age of Darkness) ++

+ HQ +

Sevatar

····Master of the Legion [Terror Assault]

+ Troops +

Terror Squad [9x Executioner, Legion Drop Pod, 10x Volkite Charger]

····Headsman [Artificer Armour, Melta Bombs, Nostraman Chainglaive]

+ Elites +

Contemptor Dreadnought Talon

····Legion Contemptor Dreadnought [Dreadnought Close Combat Weapon with inbuilt twin-linked Bolter, 2x Graviton Gun, Legion Dreadnought Drop Pod]

Contemptor Dreadnought Talon

····Legion Contemptor Dreadnought [Dreadnought Close Combat Weapon with inbuilt twin-linked Bolter, 2x Graviton Gun, Legion Dreadnought Drop Pod]

Legion Terminator Squad [Cataphractii Terminator Armour with Combi-bolter and Power Weapon, 2x Chainfist, 9x Legion Terminators, 7x Power Fist]

····Legion Spartan Assault Tank [Armoured Ceramite, Dozer Blade, Flare Shield]

····Legion Terminator Sergeant [Grenade Harness, Power Fist]

+ Fast Attack +

Legion Land Speeder Squadron

····Legion Land Speeder [Graviton Gun]

Xiphon Interceptor [Armoured Cockpit]

+ Heavy Support +

Legion Fire Raptor Gunship [Reaper Autocannon battery]

+ Legion +

Legion Astartes [VIII: Night Lords]

Created with BattleScribe (http://www.battlescribe.net)

I quite like that. It covers the main weakness of terror assault (lack of armour breaking weaponry) pretty well and adds some solid punch too. The landspeeders will attract more than their fair share of fire but with 2 contemptors hitting the ground turn one I think it fair to say there's good threat saturation.

My main query would be regarding Sevatar and the Terminators. They don't really have much synergy together, at least not as they are. I mean, I love Sevatar, he's awesome and one of the best characters out there. But in a squad of Terminators his effectiveness is severely diluted. Due to:

He's ideal for having a Terminator blob deepstriking on his position due to the Master of the Atramentar rule.

Terminator blobs are target priority number one for every pie plate available, especially those really annoying Typhon/Vindicator/Plasma Deredeos which care not for majority save or how deeply embedded in the middle of the blob Sev is.

Most people simply run away from Spartan loaded deathstars so you'll be wasting turns chasing someone to get into combat with.

The usual tactic to deal with Terminator blobs is negation - throw another terminator or monstrous creature blob at them and keep them tied up for the majority of the game which would be a waste and not even Sev can chew through 10 Terminators considering he relies on rending for AP2. At best you'll win the combat, be unable to sweep and then do it over for another couple of turns.

Personally if you're going to run Sev, he has to be in a pod with a Terror Squad because you're looking at Turn 2 Assault with a very high chance of Night Fighting still being in play, giving a significant boost.

I can appreciate sneaking a Spartan in there as a dedicated transport although what would really benefit that squad would be a chaplain rocking a void shield generator just for kicks, that would turn them into the kind of brutal beatstick everyone else fears

Archived