Tabards vs Robes

Malakai

The Black Templars have a lot of tabards. I have a lot of Templar bits from a commission I did a while back. The DV sarg is wearing a tabard and not a robe. Do you think it would be kosher if I threw in a couple of modified BT tabards in with my other robed vets? I'd make sure the vets w/tabards all got the hooded head treatment.

So do you think it would look weird or cool?

You know Shabadoo the Deathwing Knights wear tabards and have hoods. Not saying I would go in that direction but it might be a possibility. I'll see how it looks.

Right, and I think that just may work better for them because the armor is TDA.  I just prefer the more fully covered look to be more fully covered, and the less covered look to be less covered. I know the hoods on the models actually go inside the neck armor, throughout the entire range of Dark Angels models (excepting Asmodai, I think), so it really is just an illusion that the hood is attached to the robe, but I do think it looks better.  Try it out though. 

It's a Kill Team I am playing with...  A "Seeker" squad if you will.  They look normal to all outside marines but to one initiated into the higher mysteries the Ravenwing and Deathwing themes and symbolism are apparent...

Or a command squad for that Interrogator Chaplain...  whichever...

Nice work on that interrogator chaplain. I swear when I first saw him I thought he was a terminator. But back to tabards. Yeah I was going to use them on my Word Bearer force as well. Now I will just have one as I'm taking the other two and using them for the DA. It's amazing how many crossovers the DA and WB armies have as far as bits are concerned. Religious zealots, watcha gonna do?

I've decided to paint a full 3rd company of DA. Obviously an ongoing project and more for display than play if you get me. In the greenwing I lack 2 more full tac squads and one full squad of each of Assault Marines and Devastators. Plus I need 5 Rhino/Razorbacks and a Drop Pod. If I use two tabards with the force I will have enough robed guys to put a vet sarg with all 6 tac squads and have a 5 man company veteran and 5 man company command squad.

Transports are an issue though. I only have one Rhino/Razorback but holding off on getting any more as I have a feeling that GW will issue some HH era rhinos in plastic and it would be great to mix things up. Mk IIc isn't?

But of course, there is the clarion call of Heresy to be answered. My lord Horus whispers to me..asking me to paint models in a strange shade of green..

Guys why are you calling them "robes"?

Why not give it a proper-historical-knightly name: a surcoat?

Didn't Decent of Angels call them something else? Something like suplus I think, or I could be totally off. My book is thousands of miles away right now! But I know when they attack the rival knight order they talk about it a bit

Edit:

Surplice. That's what they called it.

Well, it's hard to precisely qualify any of these tongue.png . Sometimes it's surcoat, sometimes it's almost like monk's habit (sans sleeves), sometimes it's something in between. There is no (known to me) patterns of surcoats that are slashed open at the front (not buttoned), nor do I know any existing (historical) examples of habits with such feature. In fact most things worn by Black Templars aren't tabards cause they are not open at the sides.

I just thing that "robes" isn

Robe: A robe is a loose-fitting outer garment. Unlike garments described as capes or cloaks, robes usually have sleeves. The English word robe derives from Middle English robe ("garment"), borrowed from Old French robe ("booty, spoils"), itself taken from the Frankish word *rouba ("spoils, things stolen, clothes"), and is related to the word rob. There are various types of robes, including:

- A gown worn as part of the academic regalia of faculty or students, especially for ceremonial occasions, such as a convocations, congregations or graduations.

- A gown worn as part of the attire of a judge or barrister.

- A wide variety of long, flowing religious dress including pulpit robes and the robes worn by various types of monks.

- A gown worn as part of the official dress of a peer or royalty.

- A gown worn in fantasy literature and role-playing games by wizards and other magical characters.

etc...

Yes, I will still continue to call it a robe despite surcoat being more accurate. I see no big negative connotations.

Yes, I will still continue to call it a robe despite surcoat being more accurate. I see no big negative connotations.

True.

I will however use surcoat to emphasize Dark Angels knightly heritage. Robe is more "scholary" to me, luckily Dark Angels are both knights and scholars so everything is finebiggrin.png

That's right- we just broke the internet with kindness cool.png!

As to the topic at hand: I love a good robe. I used to wear one when I, er, worked? I guess you'd call what I did a job. Anyway, you got to know when to fold 'em, know when to hold 'em, and know when to put a hood on it. I've never seen a tabard with a hood. Am I an expert? No. Just use some Green Stuff and bulk-up the tabard into a robe.

It seems there are many types and styles. You can even get a hood without a Robe at all over with a cape or Tabard. I think some of the cloth goes down inside the armor. Sort of like how Iron Man has his suit on under the armor in the movies at times.

In 40,000 years Robe technology has moved light years.

Archived