Anselneo's Heresy Death Guard

anselneo

Hi All,

After being bitten by the Horus Heresy bug, I've decided to start a plog about my forays into pre-heresy shenanigans. As the title says, I'm doing Death Guard since I've loved the background (although I dont know much of the lore, so I'm hoping the experts can point me in the right direction laugh.png ) .

I currently have no list, but will work something out soon and post them here smile.png

So without much ado, here's the first batch of in progress miniatures (from the BaC box). Please comment, since I'd like to improve.

The marines have a bit of a shine to them since I was experimenting with a semi glass varnish and an oil wash. They'll be toned down in the end.

22823668434_7f470d19a8_c.jpg

23452034625_942371546b_c.jpg

23343548472_85135d892d_c.jpg

The praetor is done, but he's in the local GW store for a competition over the weekend, so I'll take better pictures when I get him back home smile.png

23452035285_d5d405970c_c.jpg

I love what you have so far. It's always good seeing the glory of unpainted ceramite and jade. If I may make a comment: they don't look gloriously dirty yet. What oil paint(s) are you using? I know I need some different colours on mine but I've always felt Burnt Umber really sets the mood when it's applied correctly. Have a try making a Burnt Umber wash and selectively applying it to details and raised surfaces all across your models. The wash should be semi-opaque so that we can still see that lively ceramite underneath the grime.

What you have so far is great. They look like they've been walking in the mud for about a year.

Keep up the great work!

Did you use Seraphim Sepia before you sealed the model with gloss varnish for the oil paint? There's something about that specific GW wash that merges well with Burnt Umber. I guess they're close to the same colour.

Looking more closely at your models because I'm on an actual computer, I like the streaking you've done. I don't know what you've done in your experiment but I coat my model in thinner before I do the pin point and line wash/shading/griminess. If you have sufficient thinner on the model before you apply the oil wash, you should only have to just touch the tip of your brush to the model. The capillary action will see it really get into those crevices.

Another thing- it shouldn't take more than a day for the oil to feel dry to the touch. Try this: get some paint onto a paper towel and let it sit there for 10-15 minutes so that the medium that was in the tube separates from the paint. That's usually the culprit when it comes to the oil paint not drying. There are some great videos on YouTube about working with oils but many of them are not for 30/40k.

• 2 weeks later...

An update. First 4 of the tactical squad nearing completion. I need to give them a satin varnish and I'm done with these, 26 to go.

@Mehman, you tip with the oil wash did the trick, so a big thank you to you biggrin.png

23457652640_2da82756f6_c.jpg

23644847342_844e0b078a_c.jpg

And the praetor from the box.

23753334525_3f68494690_c.jpg

23126531433_be91dcbc21_c.jpg

23753335055_161357f0a0_c.jpg

C&C welcome :)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

First things off, a happy new year and wishing you all a good hobby year smile.png

I've been busy with a few vehicles to go with the death guard and testing out some weathering techniques.

So first off.. an in-progress Drop Pod.

23619022583_433b6b9cc4_c.jpg

24137775042_5f2e1a395b_c.jpg

A completed Predator Infernus (converted from a Baal Predator).

24219732836_46e7fc89ea_z.jpg

23619022043_17784063cb_c.jpg

23950253820_2ee3c2097c_c.jpg

24219731746_f587865f34_c.jpg

Let me know what you think smile.png

• 2 months later...

Great looking minis, I love the predator happy.png

especially the weathering, its spot on

Hi Eldrick,

Its a combination of oil washes, sponging and weathering powders. Let me know if you need detailed step by steps smile.png

What sort of sponge did you use?

because I tend to mess that up, it ends up a mess

@ Brother Logan12, I use the battlefoam sponge which comes in the GW cases. The trick is to sort of use it like a dry brush. You pick up some paint and then tab it on a flat surface/tissue paper to spread out the paint and remove any access, then go around the edges. It starts of subtle but then you can add more.

Trick is to stop when you then it's just right and you get the feeling that a little more will be enough (stop then !! ).

Hope this helps.

Archived