Advanced Infiltration: Heralds of Extinction

Xenith, do you mind sharing your AL colour recipe? Really curious to know how you achieved it! Also, would be great to see these guys in the pictures with no flash and normal daylight (if possible of course!). Loving that AL!

Sure thing, here's a few close ups in more natural light/less flash - You can see the colour difference between the top and side views. From above, they look totally green, but blue from the side.

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk141/Mechxen/Alpha%20Legion/Veteran%20Tactical%20I/2015-12-13%2013.06.57_zpsjklpwgqb.jpg

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk141/Mechxen/Alpha%20Legion/Veteran%20Tactical%20I/2015-12-13%2013.07.08_zps1ovbifrg.jpg

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk141/Mechxen/Alpha%20Legion/Veteran%20Tactical%20I/2015-12-13%2013.06.19_zpszhp30zs2.jpg

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk141/Mechxen/Alpha%20Legion/Veteran%20Tactical%20I/2015-12-13%2013.08.20_zpscseystig.jpg

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk141/Mechxen/Alpha%20Legion/Veteran%20Tactical%20I/2015-12-13%2013.09.05_zpsw0fjchjt.jpg

The nature of the wash process means that the paint isnt the same on every model also: The saturation of the blue/green is more on some than others, making each an individual. This is nice, as the minor variations in patterning make them unique, as opposed to gear, honour markings, trophies, etc. I want them to be kind of faceless.

Destroyers are possibly my favourite unit in the game, in terms of background. I had a go at making one up from the Calth set, GS, and a Sanguinary Guard Jump pack.

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk141/Mechxen/Alpha%20Legion/Destroyer%20Squad%20I/2015-12-13%2013.10.42_zpsuwkz2yn5.jpg

I'm still not 100 % on the pose. He might get taken apart.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys!

I'm currently working out what to get next for the army.

For the infantry, I'm debating whether to get the Alpha upgrade pack, or to have everyone look he same.

The advantage of having a uniform look across the army is that I save some money which can be spent on a tank.

So the question is, which tank? Sicaran (Venator) for some zapping fun? Spartan for shenanigans? Maybe a Proteus for reserve manipulation? 

I'm working out what form I want the army to take. Current options are:

Coils, requiring 3x tactical squads

Armoured spearhead, requiring 2 tacticals in land raiders

Pride, requiring 2 veterans in rhinos, or termies in land raiders.

Armoured spearhead is appealing to me more and more, mainly due to the interaction of LR dedicated transports, army wide infiltration, and scout provided by vigilators - I could basically blow the £100 for a spartan on two raiders.

Edited by Xenith

• 4 weeks later...

So, using up my free shipping voucher, I ordered:

AL Rhino doors

AL Headhunter squad

AL head upgrade, torso upgrade

Transfer sheet

5 Volkite Culverins.

£90 seems a lot for not even a single complete model, but hey ho, that's the price we pay, but these should make my Calth mini's a bit more spiffy.

All headhunter component's wont actually be used for headhunters, who will be basic marines painted as Ultramarines, and the Headhunter parts will go to characters and sergeants.  

• 6 months later...

So. My Alphas have been languishing for a while, mainly due to a heavy workload and the ETL, however I've been thinking of where to go with them.

I really like the metallic scheme, but I already have four other power armoured armies, and a 5th might be too much...more models painted the same way as another doesnt count though, so I'm toying with the idea of tying together two of my armies.

The Omega Marines have been on the go for a while, and in my original idea for them when I began them in 2007 or so, was that they were a loyalist splinter of the Alpha Legion/Trapped in the warp, etc.

Fast forward almost a decade, and FW has actually opened up the potential for multiple Alpha schemes, and possible loyalists, or definite grey areas.

With that in mind, I've painted up an Omega Legionnaire, and would like some feedback as to whether you like or dislike the idea of the scheme in the heresy setting.

gallery_58096_12319_141842.jpg

gallery_58096_12319_121643.jpg

gallery_58096_12319_257260.jpg

gallery_58096_12319_127353.jpg

gallery_58096_12319_21005.jpg

I'm kind of warming to the idea. It will be unique for sure, but I also kind of like the blue-green metallic for the Legion., but will find that very hard to do on consistently on smaller, or at all on larger models without an airbrush.

Thoughts appreciated!

To be perfectly honest, I don't like it, but I've never like quartered or halved schemes. The problem with those type of schemes is that there really isn't no dominant color, since both colors are equally divided on the model. This problem is expounded when you use two diametrically opposed shades, like black and white, as you have done on yours.

That being said... you've executed it incredibly well, with the battle damage on both sides and the cleanliness of the divide between the colors. It's turned out better than I would have expected had someone suggested it before hand. I'd still lean towards a more traditional Alpha Legion scheme, just so they're more immediately recognizable as 30k marines. Right now if I saw that Marine without any explanation I would say that it's either a loyalist 40k homebrew or a Son of Malice, not a Legionnaire, of any sort, not just an Alpha. Just my two cents though.

Thanks for the input!

Looking too 40k is a concern I had - these are the colours of a later finding chapter which in my head canon have AL links - it might be too far from the standard color scheme. Saying that, I feel all 30k marines are starting to look like 40k marines since the release of the upgrade sets, excessive fetishes and all that.

Would there be anything I can do to add an alpha flair? Metallic blue helmet stripe? Hydras?

What about Metallic Blue Body with one White Shoulder and one Black along with a split helmet?

Edited by Slipstreams

Really liking the halved scheme, however I do think that it looks much more like a 40k scheme.

See, I was thinking about the scheme looking too much like a 40k Chapter scheme (although that was the intention) after The Psycho's similar comment above.

Then I was thinking about pretty much every Legion bar the World Eaters and Thousand Sons, and how their 30k schemes are their 40k schemes, and vice versa.

If you showed me the Imperial Fists Black and Yeller veteran scheme, would they be a 40k scheme? The look awfully like a successor, but I think that's the whole point of legion alternate schemes.

This isn't a criticism, I just feel that 30k has become identical to 40k in terms of marine bling!

Maybe it's just not recognisable enough as a heresy scheme - this guy will be getting some teal markings next!

Edited by Xenith

Really liking the halved scheme, however I do think that it looks much more like a 40k scheme.

See, I was thinking about the scheme looking too much like a 40k Chapter scheme (although that was the intention) after The Psycho's similar comment above.

Then I was thinking about pretty much every Legion bar the World Eaters and Thousand Sons, and how their 30k schemes are their 40k schemes, and vice versa.

If you showed me the Imperial Fists Black and Yeller veteran scheme, would they be a 40k scheme? The look awfully like a successor, but I think that's the whole point of legion alternate schemes.

This isn't a criticism, I just feel that 30k has become identical to 40k in terms of marine bling!

Maybe it's just not recognisable enough as a heresy scheme - this guy will be getting some teal markings next!

I think you've got a good point here, personally I see MK IV armour as both 30k and 40k where as MK II and III feel definitely 30k, so perhaps on a different suit the colour scheme will appear more fitting with the 30k setting? However as IronDrake said, it's up to you and looks great anyways!