[HH1.0] 30k Space Wolves tactics

Volth

At the moment while waiting for book 7 I have shied away from infantry

I do have 20 assault marines 10 breachers and around 30 terminators, plus 2 veteran squads and a seeker squad :D

I imagine breachers being on the list. The shield wall was synonymous with the Viking way of war, assault marines are the baresarks, men who have an overwhelming urge to get to grips with their foe, seekers to go after a target and the veterans to back them up. And some recon marines, because they are just cool.

The Fenryka rely a lot on knowing their enemy, so intelligence gathering and knowing how o neutralize a foes advantages are key. Flexibility therefore is a must

Terminators? Because who doesn't love them.

At the weekender it was stated that Space Wolves will NOT have access to all the troops types, and we WILL be getting our own unique centurion types.

As for vehicles, I really need to get drop pods or rhinos. Running  A Spartan, Typhon, Fellblade, Glaive 2 Fire Raptors a Sicaran a Storm Eagle and a Caestus. Oh and a scorpius, and a plasma pred.

The 3 big tanks, for when you absolutely have to kill something. The Spartan, Ram and Eagle drop in the heavy hitters while the tanks move in support of the troops

Sometimes armoured assault is the only way to go :D

I reckon the OP has more or less nailed the Wolves way of war on the head. And their strategic advantage at last years whw event was interesting.

• 10 months later...
SPACE WOLVES

gain +1WS if they are successfully charged, and also have counterattack

models without jump packs or terminator armour gain +1 to run and consolidation moves

ignore night fighting, may reroll outflank, and infiltrators may not deploy within 18" regardless of line of sight

consuls may not be chosen as compulsory HQ choices

must take at less 1HQ for each 1,000pts (1,500pts etc must take 2)

champlain, libraran and primus medicae are not allowed (replaced)

all existing troops choices gain 'support squad'

space wolves have their own Warlord traits (sagas) can ONLY take these, not others.

rites of war

number 1

+1 to reserves

all units without terminator armour gain hit and run, but only run 2d6 rather than 3d6 as usual

successful charges gain an additional +1 to attack (stacks with rage, regular charge bonus, etc)

no artillery or drop pods of any kind

only a single Heavy support choice

number 2

all grey slayer and assault squads must attempt a charge if in range

+1 to combat resolution if in enemy deployment zone

gains a certain warlord trait that allows all units to reroll all charges and run rolls for a single turn, warlord can still get this trait allowing for 2 turns 

no allied space marines, and no immobile. artillery or slow and purposeful units allowed either

fernisan wolves can be purchased for praetors or centurions for cost

frost blades are in, blade, axe, claw and great blade are choices

aether-rune armour gives +1W and reroll deny the witch

Deathsworn pack

comes with power axe and bolt pistol, may take rad grenades, 

are fearless while in combat, also any model killed before it attack in closecombat, may still attack, instead at I1 as long as the squad isn't wiped out.

Varagyr wolf guard terminators

terminators all with frost weapons

if charges over 6", makes a str5 hammer of wrath attack, chosen warriors, gains +1 to combat resolation if enemy challenger is killed

grey slayers

10-20 man troops choice

1in5 can swap out for power fists etc

start with just CCW and bolt pistol, but can buy bolter, combat shield, heavy chainblade, or power weapon for price

can not go to ground.

may charge after runnning or firing bolters, but has -1" to charge range

Geigor fellhand (from burning of prospero boxset)

ap2 mastercrafted lightning claw,may charge after runnning or firing bolters, but has -1" to charge range

Hvarl Red-blade

up to 3 infantry units gain scout

ap2 +2str axe, not unwieldy 

in tartarus terminator armour

preist of fernis

general consul upgrades, 

must choose to be a 'speaker of the dead' or 'caster of runes' gaining abilites depending

Leman russ

wolf guard and veteran tactical squads are troops, 

all wolves gain +1leadership

sword is ap2 with shred, axe is +2str ap2 sunder non unwieldy

wolfkin of russ

1 model units, take must start within 6" of russ, then run off. pretty nasty against small units or stragglers.

So our first RoW looks like it'll be tanks supported by flyers thanks to that sweet 2+ reserve roll (especially combined with a DCR). Only a single HSS is almost crippling though.

Second RoW appears to be more utilitarian, I can see it being useful for Zone Mortalis.

All our unique units will benefit immensely from assault transports. I think Land Raiders and Storm Eagles will be common-place.

I'm curious to know if Fell-hand and Red-blade's special rules are their warlord trait, or a USR?

. Only a single HSS is almost crippling though.

Welcome to our world. Love, VIII legion

:tongue.:

I know, I play them :tongue.: It's very annoying.

On the Night Lords topic, looks like the Nl's will struggle against the Wolves. No infiltration closer than 18 inches, ignore NF, and Wolves love being charged.

Without their skills and attributes, how is anyone suppose to come with anytype of tactica?

Ran

Fair enough!

Priest of Fenris (HQ)

Regular Consul statline

Wargear & Special Rules(Both):

• Bolt Pistol, Frag & Krak, Power Armour, Refractor Field
  • LA (Space Wolves, IC, Priest of Fenris (it's just a rule that says they must select if Speaker of the Dead or Caster of Runes)

Wargear & Rules (Speaker of the Dead)

• Power Maul, Healing Balms (FNP 5+ to model & unit), Garm-blood vial (8" range, Assault D3+1 one-use, S1 AP-, Poison (4+), Rending)
  • Fearless, Oath of the Dead (Speaker & any unit w/ LA(SW) he joins gains Preferred Enemy (Infantry) )

Wargear & Rules (Caster of Runes)

• Force Weapon of your choice & Runic Matrix (re-roll a single Deny the Witch per turn, but may not use more than 4 Warp Charge dice to manifest any single power)
  • ML1, can be upgraded to ML2

Basic Wargear access looks a lot like that for a normal Centurion, except can take Combat Shields & Hand Flamers. No access to Thunder Hammer, Charnabal Sabres or Heavy Chainsword for some reason...?

Also the Priest has access to the Aether-rune Armour that gives you 2+ save, +1 wound (!!!) and allows the wearer & any unit they join to re-roll Deny the Witch rolls. There's a lot of Deny the Witch re-rolling with the Space Wolves.

There's also a box under the Priest entry for...

The Priests of Iron

• represented by Forge Lord, Master of Signal or Praevian consul types
  • the above gain access to Aether-rune Armour
  • Forge Lord can take Fenrisian Cyberwolves instead of Servo-automata. I think this is on top of the 2 normal Wolves/Cyberwolves any Centurion is allowed to take?
  • Praevian can give his Automata counter-attack as a paid-for upgrade under Legion Inductees, which looks pointless because I think they gain this by having LA (Space Wolves) anyway???

The Grey Slayers Pack wargear allows you to buy any model power weapons. That means you can make a 20 strong unit with power weapons. Now, personally that is not THAT expensive, specially since you don't have to buy them the bolters (though I would, seeing how useful mass shooting followed by mass assault can be). My idea is making a 15/20 unit strong, with three Power Axes hidden in the middle of the pack. That alone makes any enemy think twice before attacking with their superspecial unit, because not only you have to deal with mass bolters, but also counter attack boosting Power Axes. 

The Warrior's Mantle is a rule that I really love, because it states that you can either Run then Assault, or Shoot with bolters then Assault. With that in mind, you can be damn sure that either you are getting a charge or you are killing a bit more with them.

Using these guys with the second Rite of War, that benefits them (giving them Furious Assault, and the cool Howl of the Death Wolf, a Warlord Trait/Saga/Special Rule that allows you to reroll charges and runs for a turn) seems to be the way to go.

Ran

So grey slayers is all an out power weapons, not 1 in 5?

Grey Slayer Pack:

Unit Composition: 

9 Grey Slayer

1 Huscarl

Unit Type:

Grey Slayer: Infantry

Huscarl: Infantry (Character)

Wargear:

Bolt Pistol

Combat blade or chainsword

Frag and Krak grenades

Power Armor

Special Rules:

Legiones Astartes (Space Wolves)

Warrior's Mantle (Models with this special rule may not voluntarily Go to Ground, but may re-roll failed Pinning tests and may take Charge moves both after running and/or after firing their bolters, but suffer -1 to their charge distance if they do so).

Options:

The Grey Slayer Squad may include:

-Up to ten additional Grey Slayers

Any model in the squad may take one of the following options:

-Bolter

-Combat Shield

-Heavy Chainblade

-Exchange their close combat weapon for a power weapon.

For every five models in the squad, one model may take one of the following options instead of those listed previously:

-Combi-weapon

-Exchange their close combat weapon for a power fist;

-Exchange their close combat weapon for a lightning claw;

-Exchange their bolt pistol for a hand flamer;

-Exchange their bolt pistol for a plasma pistol;

One Grey Slayer may take a nuncio-vox;

One Grey Slayer may take a Legion Vexilla

The Huscarl may take one of the following options:

Exchange their close combat weapon for a power fist/lightning claw/frost weapon/thunder hammer;

Exchange their bolt pistol for a hand flamer/plasma pistol

Exchange both for a pair of lightning claws

The Huscarl may take an artificer armour;

The Huscarl may take melta bombs.

Now, as I reread this, I realize you would not be allowed to take a bolter with the Grey Slayers that are equipped with Power Axes. 

So, paragon blade or great frost blade?

Neither allow additional CC weapons (easily), the GFB grants an extra attack when outnumbered but at -1I and is MC. the Paragon blade has killing blow on a roll of 6.

Im kinda torn on which would be better for a Cataphractii Jarl

Neither allow additional CC weapons (easily), the GFB grants an extra attack when outnumbered but at -1I and is MC. the Paragon blade has killing blow on a roll of 6.

Frost blade for fluffiness, paragon for eficiency. Initiative can determine survival (one of the reason why EC fight faster in duels), and the Killing Blow rule is pretty good dealing with other characters. 

Ran

Frost blade for fluffiness, paragon for eficiency. Initiative can determine survival (one of the reason why EC fight faster in duels), and the Killing Blow rule is pretty good dealing with other characters. 

Ran

GFB it is.

The day I play efficiency over fluff I want my models destroyed

For posting pics, its a weird grey area. Once the book is up for General Sale (Even though some already physically have it), then posting some pics of the book is fine (don't post the entire thing).

Once its legit out there for everyone its a no-go.