[HH1.0] 30k Space Wolves tactics

Volth

For posting pics, its a weird grey area. Once the book is up for General Sale (Even though some already physically have it), then posting some pics of the book is fine (don't post the entire thing).

Once its legit out there for everyone its a no-go.

Yea, that's basically what I said via pm. 

So basically 5th ed wolves? Grey Slayers were the 13th comoany trooos choice in the old EoT book.

Nice to see we get limited compulsary troops choice so we are forced to take slyera.

Where are the wulfen?

Let's keep the discussion in here to tactics with what we were provided, not what we feel is missing

So basically 5th ed wolves? Grey Slayers were the 13th comoany trooos choice in the old EoT book.

Nice to see we get limited compulsary troops choice so we are forced to take slyera.

Where are the wulfen?

I think the Deathsworn pack would be closest to it. They even need a priest to keep them in check.

Ran

Yep which means I can sell off or repaint most of my tanks :smile.:

So gun-lines are going to be tough to crack, as we have to run at them pretty much?

Basically most of my infantry are now support units, so got to get more infantry, or strip and repurpose some of what I have.

So are grey slayers, essentially despoilers that can be upgraded?

Can we take hammers and shields on the terminators, do PA troops get combat or storm shields?

Edited by dantay_xv

Yep which means I can sell off or repaint most of my tanks :smile.:

So gun-lines are going to be tough to crack, as we have to run at them pretty much?

Basically most of my infantry are now support units, so got to get more infantry, or strip and repurpose some of what I have.

So are grey slayers, essentially despoilers that can be upgraded?

Can we take hammers and shields on the terminators, do PA troops get combat or storm shields?

Page 2, this post actually has the pics in the spoiler tag

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/316804-30k-space-wolves-tactics/?p=4643938

But yet, Slayers are basically upgraded Despoilers, I didnt see options for shields on terminators, Slayers can get combat shields.

The Grey Slayers seem like tactical/vet squad hybrids at tactical squad prices which seems pretty awesome value to me. You can still have the same special/heavy weapon squads you had as before. Regarding the limited HS slots, correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it only if you take that partcular ROW, otherwise we are all good from a vehicle use point of view?

So RoW 1 means no drop pods and no artillery, just bum-rush the enemy.

RoW 2 is basically the same, but you can take more H, but no terminators S&P and no allies at all? So I cannot use 2 SW detachments in one army (use 2 different RoW effectively to represent several GC's fighting together or ally in another legion?

Can I use generic RoW, such as an armoured breakthrough, so I can use tanks?

Don't need heavy support for Artillery when you have Rapiers in Elites.

Besides, regardless of Slots, Legion Armies can only ever take 1 Artillery Tank Squadron.

Edited by Slipstreams

Red-blade is a steal, very easy to build around and combines will with the Pale Hunters RoW.

Disappointed varagyr can't take tartaros though. Otherwise a full unit with autocannons will make a mess of anything at range or in CC. Not sure why you'd ever take any weapon other than a power fist, as it's strictly better than the frost axe (which is the go to frost weapon). That evens the playing field against justaerin, deathshroud, and sekhmet. They also have spartan DT, which is something even Justaerin don't have.

Geigor looks far too fragile to ever bring except in fluffy games.

Edit: As an aside, 1000th post on the Bolter and Chainsword!

Edited by Runefyre

I'm trying to remember the Orbital Assault RoW wording, was it units that may select a Rhino as DT take a Legion Drop Pod instead?

And then on to looking how to build podding Grey Slayers.

Pretty sure Bolters are a given for Slayers coming in via pod, maybe a couple of Combi-Weapons for flexibility (stick a magnet or pin in the hand so they can be swapped out).

Or do I want to slip a Power Fist in there on one Slayer to hurt Dreadnoughts? Part of me feels generally I want the Huscarl to be kitted out for challenges so I1 seems a bad idea for him even if I take Artificer armour.

So both RoW disallow Rapiers, the go to Anti-tank for Legions

I definetly think they over valued the power of infantry, but it will be interesting to see what builds come out of this.

Lets me shift my model purchases around though glad I didn't get those Rapiers for Christmas.

Varangyr have an expensive basecost especially when you look at Sehkmet... I think the game has gotten away from FW a little bit

I forsee Drop Levi's being an issue especially more than one. It will be interesting to see if run and charge is enough to keep up with DAV, White Scar and Ravenwing armies. The World eaters match up is also going to be interesting, I'm not sure why they couldn't have jus given counter attack... but I guess you can take Characters with Wolves so proc that particular USR.

All told I'm not impressed... 1Kson and Talons seem significantly better mostly because they shoot. 5th edition wolves were powerful because of Drop pods, special weapons and Thunderwolves. None of which is available here...

The 1st RoW is def better, I'll probably will be heavily leveraging SA allied detachment for armour. Maybe a pair of walking Levis?

Instead we have a very strong assault phase, but no way to get there outside of a very expensive Armoured Spearhead list.

They are the ONLY compulsary troops choice available to Space Wolves, so no matter what. You are bringing them (unless Russ has a PotL somewhere which changes it)

That's the question. Does this limitation affect RoW or is it affected by RoW in turn ?

For example, when I make a list without any RoW, then sure, only Grey Slayers are comp troop choices. 

Now I roll a Primarch's chosen list with Russ: RoW states Tac Vets and Legion Terminators must be comp troop choices. What now ?

There's no question as I see.

It's a limitation of "Legiones Astartes (Space Wolves)" rule. It's not tied in any way with RoW.

So "Space Wolves" with Grey Slayers, or "Any other legion" without them.

There are worse troop choices available. Best dice your troops can have up to a 24 inch charge without jump packs (6 move, 6+1 run, 12-1 charge), they can charge after shooting with only a -1 to charge dice and can be tooled up to choice.

Even plain you could have your praetor and 40 dudes for less than 650 points

As a Death Guard player, I am super jealous of your great frost blades (same as our scythes but master crafted and more accessible) and your deathsworn destoyer thingies. Having terminators with all heavy weapons makes me jelly too. Plus you get all the combat rules on top. Other than shred flamers, I dont think we have much you dont do better now.

Edited by disease

That is good, I admit, But just as squishy as any other marine out there and hino or foot-slog cos SW RoW do not include the drop pods that they darkened the skies with over Prospero

Plus the abundance of AP3 & AP2 out there too.

Fluffy would have been putting wulfen in the mix.

Edited by dantay_xv

Fluffy would have been putting wulfen in the mix.

Ok, could you just stop. You're draining the fun out of Inferno for me. No disrespect, but it's getting kind of annoying, especially when you guys basically kicked DA, BA, and WS5 out of their spot on the rules line.