[HH1.0] 30k Space Wolves tactics

Volth

You simply cannot attached apothicary to grey slayers as the latter are not list in the potential units the former can join.

Which is like totally and utterly wrong.

See page 32 of AoDL.

Yup, those apothecary rules that list certain units are HORRIFICALLY outdated.

Or else how would any units from legions released after use apothecarys?

Rules are rules and the whole Horus Heresy game is already outdated before printing anyway (ie : attach antything to grey slayers and they lose warrior's mettle).

Moreover, as a wolf player since rogue trader, to me wolf priests have always been the real apothicaries.

Holy Russ, I miss the time of the first HH book, when it was just fun and fluffy..

And only had rules for a few legions ;) nothing for the wolves!

Rules are rules and the whole Horus Heresy game is already outdated before printing anyway (ie : attach antything to grey slayers and they lose warrior's mettle).

Moreover, as a wolf player since rogue trader, to me wolf priests have always been the real apothicaries.

Holy Russ, I miss the time of the first HH book, when it was just fun and fluffy..

Yeah ... from that angle most publications in our fast-paced  time are outdated before going into print. Which is sad but true.

Neat, I had a SW force as well during RT days. 

And for the third point, it still is 'fun & fluffy'. Why do you think so many of us left behind 40k for the Heresy ? Competition overdrive.

Pops up in the HH every now and then, and yes, of course you find people here as well who write silly WAAC lists, but in general it's a much rarer occurrence.

And quite funny especially since Charlo, myself and most other people on these boards fit your very criteria of 'fluff' players ... oh dang ... it's called 'narrative play' these days. :rolleyes:

But, regardless, when you play a game with multiple people / participants everybody must abide by the same rules set / edition for reasons of fairness and practicability.

So yeah, pulling the fluff card is no substitute for knowing the rules.

Hey guys, I am modelling and painting up my last space wolf unit. I use my army as both 30 and 40k, so I like them to have options  I can use in both systems.

So I already have 2 standard 40k Grey Hunter squads which I can combine into a 15-20 man Grey Slayer Unit. I was going to glue some of the thunderwolf shields on a few guys to represent combat shields.

Anyways, I have 20 MKIII guys. Thus far I have 10 that are modeled with bolter (could be plasmagun, meltagun) and 5 that have axe and shield (fw kit), so how do I model the other 5? More bolters? How many shields do you guys typically use in a squad? I forgot the other options that grey slayers can take, but if someone who plays can give me an idea on how they would equip a 20 man squad, that would be great.

Thanks!

Hi!

Personally, I don't take the shields on normal guys as there are better options (you can take a bolter OR a shield OR a Power Weapon / Fist. In the list I am planning at the moment, I have 2x15 Grey Slayers - 10 Bolters, 2 Power Axes, 2 Power Fists and a Huscarl with Frost Axe and Shield.

So with those last 5, I wouldn't bother taking anymore shields and stock up on Power Weapons / Fists as they are really cheap on Grey Slayers.

Maybe make one a Squad Leader / Huscarl.

I don't think I have ever taken bolters. So many of our rules only work in assault. I find it's best just to get stuck in as fast a possible with the infantry. Where they are bizarrely safest.

You want shields on the models you want to die anyway so not on your power fists. But, there is nothing stoping you from doing it if desired. You are right about power weapons though.

But, also it's something no one else can really do and makes SW an unique army to play against in a meq environment they suddenly need different tools to deal with.

I tend to play light on terminators due to the sunken costs so that may be where I stray from normal thought.

Yeah, when you can run and charge you ideally want to use that to close the gap and get stuck in with your innate WS5 dudes.

A few bolter shots probably won't achieve much more than let your opponent remove some models from the front of the unit to make your charge harder.

I use bolters on my Grey Slayers to let them pepper a target when they get out of their Rhino...but I haven't used shields yet.

I was day dreaming of a unit of 19-20, with 15 shields, the rest power weapons, a Wolf Priest, Geigor and Russ piling out of a Spartan.

Haven't put it to paper yet

• 3 weeks later...

So the faq cleared up the interaction between our LA rules and RoW. Has anyone looked into any new combinations?

Armoured breakthrough seems like a good place to get some backfield scoring. And, fast rhinos are fast rhinos.

I've become very interested in Angel's Wrath recently.

I'm really tempted to run a Recon Company as the fluff of my Jarl is in that vein anyway.

I plan on collecting stuff to allow pretty much any RoW.

With regards the earlier talk of Apothecaries, I consider them junior Wolf Priests in my mind, they've already been taught the medical stuff but have yet to develop their leadership skills and knowledge of the Legion's history and deeds.

Edited by Hfran Morkai

I'm really tempted to run a Recon Company as the fluff of my Jarl is in that vein anyway.

I plan on collecting stuff to allow pretty much any RoW.

With regards the earlier talk of Apothecaries, I consider them junior Wolf Priests in my mind, they've already been taught the medical stuff but have yet to develop their leadership skills and knowledge of the Legion's history and seeds.

Sounds good to me.

Make it so.

• 4 months later...

How do we equip Varagyr?

Frost Axe + Frost Claw for +1 A and more flexibility or Frost Axe + Combi-weapon?

Obviously in both cases with Chainfist on the sergeant.

A transport of sorts is a given, of course.

Power Fist & Frost Claw

Sergeant Chain Fist & Frost Claw

for a dedicated melee unit.

Frost Axes & Combi Weapon

Sergeant Chain Fist & Combi Weapon

for an 'all comers' sort of unit.

Add LR Phobos.

Right...

I can have both! 8)

But how to build them?

• 2 months later...

Relegated to page 2, unsightly and unacceptable.

I've been trying to integrate the new units into my understanding the the Rout, anyone had an recent experience?

Nullificators are crap.

That leads us to the consuls.

I thinks all new psykers are unfluffy units and will be forbidden at some point anyway so that is out of the window as well.

Armistos: Heavy Bolter suck and instead of give Volkite Culverine mastercraftet I invest the 100 points for a Bastion with Ammo Store and can re-roll every 1 to hit AND have an excellent firing position.

So a big no to him, too.

Warmonger: obviously good for deep striking TSS or whatever stuff which can bring a nice shooting phase.

Close combat units are NOT a good choice for a Warmonger because you want them to charge in turn two and not in three.

Mortificator: I am still unsure what kind of Dreadnought unit I'd bring.

Obviously Contemptor Cortus are a great choice but I have a soft spot for the boxnought and like to bring 3-5 of them.

I was thinking the Esoterist is pretty fluff actually, santic seems pretty shamanistic imo, but I think the Warmonger is the only other useful unit. 

Dropping down with infantry shooting seems kind of meh to me, maybe with Vorax or Castallex?

I was thinking the Esoterist is pretty fluff actually, santic seems pretty shamanistic imo, but I think the Warmonger is the only other useful unit.

Dropping down with infantry shooting seems kind of meh to me, maybe with Vorax or Castallex?

Why don't you like deep striking shooting units?

Yeah I realised almost as soon as I posted that's what I get for not having played HH in months.

Infantry shooting has always seemed somewhat lack luster, especially considering SW don't have any rules to increase the potency or helps us out afterwards.

The only thing imo worth dropping would be 6+ plasmaguns I suppose. So maybe a Warmonger and terminators with combi-plasma, that combo costs more than a dreadclaw but you can get more plasma shots with it.

Do you think he gives DS to the other Characters in the unit as well?

Do you think he gives DS to the other Characters in the unit as well?

No. No single individual character that 'bestows' DS  upon another unit does that. Attached IC's are individual units and attaching them doesn't change that. They would have to acquire the USR  themselves. It would need to mention the fact specifically, which it doesn't. That's why people feel the Warmonger is mostly inferior to Pods.

Infantry shooting has always seemed somewhat lack luster, especially considering SW don't have any rules to increase the potency or helps us out afterwards.

Haven't any rules which increases their firepower either never stopped my deep striking* IW Terminators from killing Spartans, Imperial Knights, Praetors on foot (got ya HARHAR), Sicarans etc.pp. in the past with ease. ;)

Five Combi-meltas are five Combi-meltas. Enough for most tanks.

*via Dreadclaw. Best way to deliver such a unit if they cannot ride a Termite.

A Warmonger is only a great character if your army hasn't any Fast Attack slot to spare.

For all instances the claw is better.

• 8 months later...

Hey Folks,

I'd really appreciate some advice on how to start my space wolves.

So far I've gotten 20 mk iv marines (I was originally going another legion but hate painting them)

Leman russ

The 2 plastic wolf heroes.

What's a good all rounder starting 1k list?

I was originally thinking:

Rite of war: Pride of the legion

Hq:

++  Crusade (Legiones Astartes: Age of Darkness Army List) [1,000pts] ++

+ HQ +

Centurion [50pts]: Bolt Pistol, On Foot, Power Armour (Centurion/Consul)
. Chainsword or Combat Blade: Chainswords/Combat Blades
. Consul
. . Centurion, Legion: Wolf Lord/Claw Leader

Praetor, Legion [130pts]: Aether-rune armour, Bolt Pistol, Heavy Chainsword, On Foot, Wolf Lord/Claw Leader

+ Elites +

Contemptor Dreadnought Talon [185pts]
. Contemptor Dreadnought, Legion: Plasma Cannon
. . Dreadnought Close Combat Weapon: Twin-linked Bolter

+ Troops +

Veteran Tactical Squad, Legion , Compulsory [275pts]: 9x Bolt Pistol, 9x Chainswords/Combat Blades, 7x Combi-weapon: Meltagun, 2x Meltagun, 9x Veteran Space Marines, Legion
. Veteran Sergeant, Legion: Bolt Pistol, Plasma Pistol
. . Chainsword or Combat Blade: Chainswords/Combat Blades

Veteran Tactical Squad, Legion , Compulsory [275pts]: 9x Bolt Pistol, 9x Chainswords/Combat Blades, 7x Combi-weapon: Plasma gun, 2x Plasma gun, 9x Veteran Space Marines, Legion
. Veteran Sergeant, Legion: Bolt Pistol, Plasma Pistol
. . Chainsword or Combat Blade: Chainswords/Combat Blades

+ Fast Attack +

Sabre Strike Tank Squadron [85pts]
. Sabre Strike Tank: Heavy Bolter, Neutron Blaster

+ Allegiance +

Legion and Allegiance:    VI: Space Wolves, Loyalist

Rite of War: Pride of the Legion

+ Use Playtest Rules +

Use Playtest Rules: Playtest Rules Off

++ Total: [1,000pts] ++
Edited by gilljoy