simison

A New Perspective

Against this background of mistrust and struggle, the Vth Legion was ordered by the Emperor himself to re-assemble the entire Legion underneath his command. Rumors spread throughout the Legion serfs and other allied human contingents that this could only mean that the Emperor was to formally act against the Legion and warned that the Legion would be pulled from the Great Crusade and made to wait on Earth where they could no longer sully the honor of the Legiones Astartes, much like their brothers in the XIth Legion. 

The rumors were proven false as the Legion rendezvous at the ordered coordinates. Waiting for them were not only the Emperor's flagship, but the flagships of his only found son: Icarion Anasem. The Vth Legion were to take their place for an unique, temporary Expeditionary Fleet. Their target? The Delos System, which lay just beyond the Imperium's latest conquests. The rumors of degradation withered away as newer, more exotic rumors took their place, trying to explain how one system could require the personal involvement of the Emperor and his Sons. They spoke of an unheard of and deadly xeno threat that would need a decade to exterminate, a lost treasure trove of the Dark Age of Technology guarded by ancient machines, and, lastly, that another lost Primarch had been located.

Old Night had left a weak scar on the Delos system. When it struck, the Delos system became bereft of its connection to Humanity and had surrendered to fear as a brief, intense civil war reduced its technology levels to pre-Industrial capabilities. Yet, the blow was temporary and several planets including Delos Prime were still rich in natural resources. In time, the Delians struggled to return to their past prosperity, eventually spawning several new civilizations that would commit war and diplomacy against one another. Technological progress suffered when xenos raiders targeted the system, stealing valuable resources and destroying scientific centers, in moves obviously meant to impede advancement, all the while, never outright attempting to destroy the Delians, despite possessing the capability to do so. Though these setbacks greatly hampered progress and caused great fear of these 'night demons', these attacks would aid the Delians' on the road to political unity. Unfortunately, it was unknown which scenario would occur first: the Delians' eventual annihilation or developing the means to fight off their monsters.

That answer arrived in an incubation pod. Landing near a village within the small Hellasan state of Massidon, the Primarch was discovered and adopted by the local magistrate. Only a few years would pass before Alexandros was known throughout the planet, making his mark through his military victories over their xenos parasites, while becoming an unparalleled statesman. While other brothers conquered their homeworlds with force, Alexandros would take the longer, more difficult and less trodden road of unification solely through diplomacy. With his innate, Emperor-given gifts, this nigh impossible feat was accomplished in a decade. Not only was he appointed as supreme military commander & de facto political leader, Alexandros had invested small portions of his time into technology and science causing a new boom of innovation and progress. 

It was to this prosperous system the Emperor and his armies arrived. Knowing four days before the first of the Imperial ships would reach the system, Alexandros began a subtle propaganda campaign that would plant the seeds for the inevitable Imperial Compliance. Broadcasting planet-wide, the Primarch spoke to his people of his dreams. He dreamed of reuniting with the rest of the Humanity. A dream to share in lost technologies. A dream of an even brighter future, where they were made whole. Although it seemed obvious, we must remember we have the benefit of hindsight, and the Delians had no knowledge of the Imperium. 

Thus, when the Emperor arrived, his son was waiting and willing to join the Great Crusade. The Compliance of Delos was achieved quickly as Alexandros departed from his homeworld to Terra to learn directly from his Father. It was during this time he would learn about the Imperium and his place in it. Once his time came to an end, he would finally take his place at the head of the Vth Legion. 

At first, it would seem that Alexandros would change little as he campaigned with his sons. All would change on the planet of Balov. In a move mirroring Icarion's Madrigal Sphere, Alexandros claimed the system as a protectorate of the Vth Legion before enacting a series of reforms to mold the Legion according to his ideals. Renaming the Legion as the Halcyon Wardens, Alexandros did away with ceramite gray and the wantonly aggressive approach to war. No longer was the priority on destroying the enemy, but on preserving Humanity. Instead of aggressive assaults, Alexandros eventually transformed the Halcyon Wardens into a powerful defensive force that could absorb much firepower before unleashing devastating counter-attacks or force their enemies into suicidal charges. With contemporary warfare involving close quarter fighting as much as long-range ballistics, an ancient tool of war was resurrected and underwent an apotheosis through technology: the shield. 

Edited by simison

[Tweaked, though I might need to rewrite the thing to better reflect their BotL status.]

Name: Delos

Classification: Legiones Astartes Home World [imperial Civilized World]

System Data: DS/1564//δτ

Stellar-Grid: 13-BAT/LV-247

Segmentum: Solar/Fifty-Seventh Quadrant

Notation: Temperate, Rich in Mineral Resources

Native Population 11 Billion

++[Fiefdom of the Halcyon Wardens]++

For context in the current arc of Second Son:

The Halcyon Wardens number in the area of 31,000 legionaries.

The Lightning Bearers number in the realm of 36,000 legionaries. 

A new arc approaches!

• Located in the northern area of Seg. Solar
  • Alexandros is chosen by the Emperor to command the Blood Wolves, Sixth Legion, and the Second Legion to secure the Emperor's flank
  • Target is an Ork WAAAAGH! (Implied to be fleeing the Qarith Empire)
  • Warboss Graggor Blakplate?
  • Grot WAAAGH! (?) The Da Lil WAAAGH! (?)
  • Fantasy style, really heavily armoured Black Orks?
  • No, I want Icarion to be busy with the Ghost Crusade
  • Could be the Emperor doesn't want to sanction yet another legion, so he wants Alex to try a more subtle approach to steer the Blood Wolves away from being Aerys Targaryen as a legion
  • I might open this arc with a private meeting between the Emperor and Alexandros
  • Could also be the Emperor wants Alex to try reigning in the Blood Wolves destructive tendencies post Burning of Jurfik
  • We can touch upon that rivalry duel between the Storm Rider and Blood Wolf Lord Commanders
  • And that it might be the last campaign before the Bears and Blood Wolves part ways.
  • We could feature several Terran officers, perhaps set up some foreshadowing for Daer'dd
  • The only real difference is the lack of Tricendian cultural influence. Less shamanism, totems, etcetera. (Iron Bears)
  • And the Emperor is testing Alexandros' capability of managing several Legions at once.
  • This campaign is part of a northward push to reach Fenris.

Ideas for the Abyssii arc

• Destruction of Alexandros' first stormbird
  • Alexandros crashes behind enemy lines
  • Mortera personally leads a sortie to save him from being overwhelmed.
  • Leads into the battle with the Davinchian
Edited by simison

Info on the Elpis

• Zulmoxite hull, a la the Iron Blood
  • Eagle wings for ship wings
  • Fewer towers to present a cleaner appearance
  • Improved engines for maneuver and travel
  • Clocks in at 18 km long
  • Contains a series of ambassadorial suits and rooms for diplomacy
  • Primary weapons are the nova cannon, plasma macro batteries, turbolasers, and lance batteries
  • Contains several dozen wings of bombers, fighters, and gunships.
  • Improved armour and shield capabilities
  • Contains the largest sanctam of the Halcyon Wardens, along with specialized briefing and assembly rooms. 

Guess who's having trouble tracking his Praetorate?

838.M30 Praetorate

• Primarch: Alexandros
  • First Brigadier/Lord Commander: Irvin Ruel
  • Second Brigadier/Lord Commander/Master of the Prefects: Licinius Crassus
  • Third Brigadier: Pipin Lothar
  • Fourth Brigadier: Qapibain
  • Chief of Legion Support Corps/Commander: Erick Ludendof
  • Chief of Legion Destroyer Corps/Praetor: Niemann
  • Chief Apothecary: Theodor Villrof
  • High Chaplain: Otmar Adalbard
  • Forge High Lord: Weyland Vonsmith
  • Chief Vigilator/Commander: Hans Scholl
  • Chief Korniken (Chief Master of Signal)/Commander: Albert Praun
Edited by simison

• 2 weeks later...

On Blunt's advice, I'm trading out Company & Captain for Battalion & Tribune, given how Company & Captain is so ingrained in the universe to a much smaller level than what I was using it for. 

• 2 weeks later...

“Know that I exercise restraint against my will, in making this offer of mercy. I had esteemed colleagues, comrades, among the delegation slain by your soldiers. But we adhere to the codes you appear to flout.

I promise that your subjects will be spared as much as possible in what is to come. If you order your soldiers to lay down their swords, they may find that the new order has great use for them. The Imperium might be moved to treat you with leniency.
  But I suspect that these words fall on deaf ears. I am certain our ambassadors would have told you of the transhuman warriors who serve this Imperium. Either you cut them down before they could speak or you disregarded their words. If you did think that the Imperium's strength extends only to mortal soldiers in void armour, then you are destined for an unpleasant surprise. 
  My fleet is advancing from the far edges of your system. We will overrun your worlds simultaneously. Your fleets will be swept aside, captured or blasted to atoms. We will bring tens of millions of mortal men, Knight walkers and Titans.
  I stress that there are far worse enemies you could face among my Emperor’s armies. There are those of my kinsmen who would burn the face of your worlds to cinders, and others among our fleets who would make bionic corpse-soldiers of you. But we are nonetheless Angels of Death, and we will not be deterred or defeated by anything you place in your way. Defiance will earn the penury of your house and see your throne crushed under the feet of Terminators. You don't recognise that last word? Well, you are about to learn.”
Legate Sauhan, the Muric Annexation 

• 1 month later...

I had written three in their Lost Legion days. I plan on keeping the first one the same, maybe the second, but the third definitely needs to be changed. 

• 5 weeks later...

The Flotillas of the Vth Legion

The Vth Legion fleet was one of the largest in the Legiones Astartes, even considering the number of warriors it included. On the Day of Revelation, close to 1,200 warships sailed under the three-ringed flag, with many more bonded to the Halcyon Wardens by oath or feudal loyalty. Of these, an impressive number were heavy capital vessels, equipped for the rigours of planetary siege and fleet confrontations, in which the Halcyon Wardens would capture rather than destroy human vessels where possible. Besides these preferences the Vth possessed a diverse range of vessels, able to meet more or less any challenge the Crusade might throw up.

Alexandros did not have a single great shipbuilding hub to call upon, as Daer’dd and Icarion did. Delos had produced vessels of its own under his rule, but to his chagrin these paled beside those of the Imperium when the Emperor arrived, the largest of them no bigger than a frigate. The Primarch was quick to correct this deficiency with the greater resources available to him. While Delos never became one of the great shipbuilding worlds of Segmentum Solar, several truly titanic ships - notably the Zanskat Oath - and many more destroyers and frigates were raised in its orbit.

The protectorates and colonies established by the Halcyon Wardens also contributed to their fleet, establishing a handful of distinct ships classes exclusive to the Legion. However, most of their void assets continued to come from the Sol System and Forge Worlds elsewhere, notably Phaeton and Graia, until the Legion's compact with Eskut was established. This became the primary source of the Shield Lord’s vessels, more so as other Legions grew and began to make greater demands of the Imperium’s industry. Alexandros' work in ensuring the Abyssii cult's integration into the broader Mechanicum ensured that Nox too produced ships for his Legion.

By the time Alexandros was declared Warmaster, the Vth Legion were drawing on a well established system of shipyards for their capital vessels, whilst using the Crusade’s requisition bureaucracy for their lesser ships. The result was a powerful and diverse fleet, one which in 25 M30 would be ideally placed to topple or protect the Emperor’s throne.

Edited by bluntblade

• 1 month later...

Points I need to remember for the next chapter

Make sure the Drowned presence is consistently felt

Kharkis is the key for Alexandros understanding Icarion's aura

The new personal titles among the Fifth

Introduce the Madrigal College, Legio Telesto, Rakurai in war

Plant seeds for House Zivich and the various Protectorate regiments

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Pouring out more thoughts that I had from work today.

Legates

1. Irvin Ruel (German/Jermani) - Preferred Title: Lord Commander - Location on DoR: Terra (Planned Inspection of Terran HW recruitment sites in addition to supporting Alexandros' politics)
  2. Prisfirah Sauhan (Indian/Delos) - Preferred Title: Legate - Location on DoR: Terra (Also in support of Alexandros' politics in addition to ensuing oversee reinforcements for the Second Cohort)
  3. Antipaton - (Greek) - Preferred Title: ? - Location: ?
  4. Raj Shamsuddin Ataga (Indian/Delos) - Preferred Title: Raj - Location on DoR: Pacificus (On Campaign)
  5. ?
  6. Mikhail Chukhay (Russian/Balov) - Preferred Title: Legate - Location on DoR: [Atlanticus]
  7. Balacrus of Delos (Greek/Delos) - Preferred Title: Antistratigos - Location on DoR: Delos (At his post)

Brigadier of the Terran Brigade - Trebonius Vinius (Roman/Terran)  - Location on DoR: Terra (At his post)

Anyway, as mentioned on Discord, it came to my attention that my Cohort system was broken. Half of it was organized essentially by unit combat role and the other half was organized around unit purpose. To unify them, I had to reorganize the purpose of the first three Cohorts.

A couple of possibilities came to mind. The first and the one I'm leaning the most toward to is turning them into a proper field command/theater organization. The US army organizing strategic commands in this manner with CENTCOM, EUCOM, etc. Except replace Terran continents with galactic segmenta. 

But then I came to my next challenge. I had three open Cohorts, but we have 7 segmenta. How best to resolve this?

The idea I'm currently favouring is that there are only 3 active commands that divide the galaxy into three portions in according with priority for the Great Crusade. The example I came up with is dividing the galaxy between Southeast, Northeast, and the West commands with the most HW brigades active in Atlanticus. This gives me some room for evolution and establishing an earlier tradition. It allows the Cohorts to shift names as the brigades are moved to the most active warzones in the Great Crusade and could be explained that this was a decision made earlier on in the Legion history that has simply stayed there for better or for worse. 

The next idea was to simply divide the galaxy into North, South, East, and West. Although the Cohorts would be permanent, the number of active brigades within each Cohort would shift depending on where the HW were needed. It has a bit more stability than the previous solution and might not shove so many HW to the East and be potentially cut off by Icarion's Insurrection. The problem being, I would need to add another Cohort, shifting from 8 to 9. And the question there is that retcon merely annoying or crushing in extra work. 

Yet, there is a potential save based on a suggestion Thorn made. Basically, he's not sure if the 6th Cohort is worth its own command, instead being rolled into the 5th Cohort (which already handles garrison duties). In this scenario, Cohorts 1-5 are the Disciples of Destruction (the 4 galactic commands and the Inter-Legionary Exchange), while Cohorts 5 & 6 are the Disciples of Protection. And that listing hints at my one issue with that, and that there's not much of a balance between the number of Cohorts divided between the two groupings of Disciples. Then again, a Legion is primarily an offensive organization, even with Alexandros' more defensive ideals. 

(If I go with this last scenario, I'll simply have Chukhay be in command of the 5th Cohort.)

Edited by simison

Alexandros’ views and relationship has two modes: before and after the DoR.

Before, Alexandros views Xeones of the happy times to come. Just as the Delians are slowly uniting in spirit and body, so too is the galaxy will soon be under the enlightened rule of the Imperium.

After, their relationship becomes closer but is tainted with tension. Xeones becomes an unintentional reminder of just how much Alex has lost. Not only that, he represents a bright future that is slowly slipping out of Alexhis hands. And it is just the personal side.

On the professional side, Xeones has to endure the harshest service the Lord protect protector has ever endured. Alexandros is forced to call on the Order to make more sacrifices of any Order in the Legion. Therefore Xeones has to keep the Order in tact and with a stable influx of new recruits even as they suffer horrendous casualties. It is a situation that Alex hates to place on on his shoulders, but the war master must.

After a long discussion with Thorn, I am going to tweak the Cohorts from 8 to 9. In the end, I’m trying to establish between the logistical need for KISS and the messy history of expanding a Legion. So, I’m introducing the Warmaster Reforms in 002. Not long after he is promoted to Warmaster, Alexandros revamped the Cohorts into the system I’m about to detail. This gives me room to explore a more natural evolution in Second Son, while having a more pragmatic system in place for the Insurrection.

I am keeping the Disciple distinguishment. The first 4 Cohorts are dedicated to the front lines, divided between galactic directions.

First Cohort - East
Second - North
Third - South
Fourth -West

The next three are devoted to garrisons and stabilizing new systems a part of the Imperium.

Fifth Cohort - West
Sixth - East
Seventh - Delos and Terra

Eight is still the memorial Cohort and the Ninth Cohort is the Legion Exchange Cohort.

I am now considering another level of ranks above Legate that would be occupied by the two highest officers in the Legion, representing the Disciples if Destruction and Protection. Tentatively titled Consul.

Edited by simison

Works for me :tu:

How's about "Diarch"? Sounds a bit more Greek and is a bit more generic than "consul" - interestingly, it sounds like the Pandyan dynasty (in southern india) was another diarchy, as well as obviously Sparta, and the succession system of some germanic trIves could lead to co-rule ; so that can all be linked to your Legion's influences