simison

I've never seen the series.

18SMB21_Viper-2-pack_02.jpg

This is the MkII Viper from the modern Battlestar Galactica series. There were some other Marks in the show (mainly MkVII I think), but this is the iconic one.

To compare:

99590101442_XiphonPatternInterceptor01.j

As can be seen there are some obvious similarities between the two. And the main difference (the wings) can be attributed to the Xiphon being an atmospheric/space fighter, where the Viper is primarily intended for space combat.

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps Malis' guys are given a fief world within Icarion's domain which the Halcyon Wardens had originaly conquered/liberated? We could take one from a Second Son campaign.

Hm, perhaps the system that was invaded by the space hulk? The Saxonia system.

Malis watched his master study leaves with the same intensity as he had when making strategic decisions. In this 'room' of the Primarch's garden, a tropical atmosphere lent the air a thickness as Malis wiped off a bead of sweat from his forehead. 

"What do you think, Malis?" Alexandros inquired as he seemed to settle on two different leaves. 

Malis considered the two plants. One was camellia sinensis, a survivor from ancient Terra that had managed to journey all the way to the 31st millennium. The other was known as Ainexian ocha, a more recent find that had come from the Wardens' last campaign. What they shared was a similar purpose as a key ingredient to a beverage. "It must be quite frustrating to be denied your powers," Malis drolled. 

With a laugh, Alexandros answered, "It's good practice. I will not deny their potency or their utility, but diplomacy has its own skills in need of sharpening that do not rely on telepathy or divination."

"Why does the Jade General insist on having a Pariah guard with him at all times?"

"Not all times," Alexandros said as he returned to his dilemma. After a moment, he added, "Just most of the time. My brother has a distrust of the Warp that can be healthy, and at times not so healthy. Anyway, you're avoiding my question."

Malis paused as he thought about the answer. "Since tradition is important to the Warriors, I'd recommend the camellia." 

Do you have an idea when Alex and Akylles might interact properly fir the first time?

Also, had an idea for a scene sometime during Mars. Probably Alex and an Astartes, though I'm not certain who:

“I see Icarion’s mind, at least where this system is concerned. See the pieces, assume that we would commit to his design, and it’s quite simple. We would be a blade to the throat of Terra, the factor that made Kelbor-Hal’s victory on Mars all but inevitable.”

“What of the Custodians?”

Alexandros reflected. “The Ten Thousand are but ten thousand. That matters on the ground and in the void. Moreover, they aren’t a Legion, and don’t have anything like our fleets. The yellow martinets don’t get all the best toys.”

I'm not sure. There are three potential scenes I can think of. One, Alex is able to visit Delos and meet with that day's graduating recruits and Al is one of them. Two, after the Martian campaign. Three, Alex, when he's not concentrating or focusing his powers, can have random bursts of visions. Perhaps Al is one, and the Warmaster is curious about him. 

Of the three, I think two is most likely, while one lays down the feel of preordained destiny.

So, going all the way back to the heraldry of Malis' Hammers. Ultimately, I agree with Drak's suggestion. Instead of red pauldrons, the Traitor Wardens paint theirs black as a sign of mourning of the loss of unity and for Alex not heeding Icarion's warning of treachery. They will also trade out the the three rings of unity for a single ring with a lightning bolt through it to represent their new allegiance.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd prefer a circumstantial rise for Akylles. He's simply the best man with enough luck at the right time and place.

I...isn't that true for most great men? 

It is. I'd just rather that to be underlined by the first encounter, rather than being the subject of Alex's visions. Although we could have a middle ground of Alex perceiving patterns in his foresight, and seeing that as a "wyrd", if you will.

Depends on whether there is a shield wall or not. If so, then armour is primarily flank support. If not, they tend to be the spearhead, allowing the Prefects to shine.

• 1 month later...

So they're in between? Cool.

Btw, does Alex retain any core command companies beyond the Myrmidons? I figure that he'd keep those aboard the Elpis pretty constant, with Ruel and another Lord Commander available.

Just remember, they are a temporary rank. 

Off-hand, I'd say no. Instead, Alex would take care to cycle through different formations so that he has at least a chance to fight with every unit in his Legion...eventually.