Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

GW Advent Calendar: Lava Bases

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Slips

Slips

++ ARCHIMAGIRUS RUDIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 13,202 posts
  • Faction: V,VII,IX,XII,XV Legions

I found this pretty interesting and the end effect is actually pretty dang cool.

• Bryan Blaire, Phalanx Warder, marvmoogy and 3 others like this

Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image

++Part of the ship...Part of the Crew++

+] Use the Report Button! [+

Kraytirous

Kraytirous

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 69 posts

I'm not going to lie, I'm really tempted to use this on a model's armor, like a terminator or a dreadnought.

• Lord-Commander Macarian and Bryan Blaire like this

The_Chaplain

The_Chaplain

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,362 posts
  • Faction: Confessors

Wow that end result is fantastic. 

• Phalanx Warder likes this

Cactus, on 04 Mar 2013 - 13:10, said:

The_Chaplain hath spoken so here endeth the debate! 

Check out my space marine DIY, The Confessors here

gallery_29004_6198_9307.png 35499214321_eaf52ccf5f_o.gifgallery_48988_6285_7306.pnggallery_48988_6285_1776.jpggallery_48988_6285_6092.pngsml_gallery_29004_10691_2146.pngcatg2.pnggallery_45765_11565_4862.pngETL_2016_Medal_01_Custos_Fidei02.gifgallery_30308_9518_8389.png

Phalanx Warder

Phalanx Warder

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 817 posts
  • Faction: Imperial Fists Legion

Not going to lie i was quite "skeptical at first but once the paint dried i couldn't believe my eyes". Wow that sounded like those annoying links on Facebook that I categorically refuse to click on. ever.

gallery_48988_10980_12646.pnggallery_63665_8720_5405.png

Aeternus

Aeternus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 978 posts
  • Faction: The Eighth // Drukhari

This...is really good. Time to do my bases, without having to buy loads of sculpted ones

Terran_zps971683eb.png

Humanity forged a legion of nightmares to protect ourselves, to push against the darkness.
And we were somehow surprised when they turned on us.'

gallery_60566_6038_61161.png

Quixus

Quixus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 6,549 posts
  • Faction: To be decided later

Couldn't you just mix a transparent crackle medium with the colour you like (in this case black)?

Bryan Blaire

Bryan Blaire

++ EXPLORATOR BIOLOGIS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 5,804 posts
  • Faction: Imperium, Chaos, Xenos

Couldn't you just mix a transparent crackle medium with the colour you like (in this case black)?

Unfortunately GW doesn't sell a crackle medium alone, only with their already colored Agrellan Earth and Martian Iron Earth, so to show you their products, they are going to use a work around.

You can always use something like the Vallejo, Folkart or Delta Ceramcoat Crackle Medium or you can even use a DiY solution by learning to make your own crackle effect, and apply any of them with the top black coat layer, still, bonus points to GW for explaining how to do something that few folks probably thought of on their own.
My DA Successor Chapter DIY - Stoneburners: Index Astartes Stoneburners
Posted Here: Stoneburners WiP - DA Forum
Completed Squads: Stoneburners - Hall of Honor Forum
Other Material Here (Angels on both sides of the War and Wolves): PCA WiP Forum
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Jolemai

Jolemai

++ CERDONIS CÆDIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 12,434 posts
  • Faction: Blood Angels

Not going to lie i was quite "skeptical at first but once the paint dried i couldn't believe my eyes". Wow that sounded like those annoying links on Facebook that I categorically refuse to click on. ever.

This is so going to be the name of the next painting blog I make on here happy.png

• Bryan Blaire, Phalanx Warder, Warsmith Uveron and 1 other like this

gallery_62972_14467_5178.jpggallery_62972_14467_1351.jpgETL_2018_Medal_04_ETL_Magister.gifETL_2018_Medal_03_Primus_Interpares_01.gETL_VI_Banner_Dominus_Exercitus_Blood_AnETL_2018_Medal_01_Custos_Fidei_03.gifETL_Medal_05.gifgallery_62972_14467_4151.jpggallery_62972_14467_3390.jpg

Blogs Blood Angels| Veritas Vitae | Battle Reports | Terrain | IXth Legion | Miscellaneous Imperials
1000 Scout list W:0 D:0 L:3
1250 Death Company List (jump)  W:0 D:0 L:0
1500 Light Mech List W:0 D:0 L:0 Dreadnought List W:0 D:0 L:1
1750 Hybrid List W:1 D:0 L:0
1850 Death Company List (mech) W:0 D:0 L:0
2000 Heavy Mech List W:0 D:0 L:0 Two Towers List W:1 D:0 L:0
Apocalypse W:1 D:0 L:0

Quixus

Quixus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 6,549 posts
  • Faction: To be decided later

Unfortunately GW doesn't sell a crackle medium alone, only with their already colored Agrellan Earth and Martian Iron Earth, so to show you their products, they are going to use a work around.

You can always use something like the Vallejo, Folkart or Delta Ceramcoat Crackle Medium or you can even use a DiY solution by learning to make your own crackle effect, and apply any of them with the top black coat layer, still, bonus points to GW for explaining how to do something that few folks probably thought of on their own.

I know, I was mostly wondering whether the two paint applications are necessary or if you could mix a transparent crackle medium with a colour and apply that mixture in one go. Isn't Martian Ironearth/Agrellan Earth just crackle medium with pigments?

Bryan Blaire

Bryan Blaire

++ EXPLORATOR BIOLOGIS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 5,804 posts
  • Faction: Imperium, Chaos, Xenos

Isn't Martian Ironearth/Agrellan Earth just crackle medium with pigments?

Yes, it is.

I know, I was mostly wondering whether the two paint applications are necessary or if you could mix a transparent crackle medium with a colour and apply that mixture in one go.

The two colors are necessary if you are only using GW product, since they don't make a black tinted crackle texture paint, but to truly answer your question, see my above answer to this question you already quoted. ;)

Edited by Bryan Blaire, 13 December 2015 - 05:39 PM.

• Quixus likes this
My DA Successor Chapter DIY - Stoneburners: Index Astartes Stoneburners
Posted Here: Stoneburners WiP - DA Forum
Completed Squads: Stoneburners - Hall of Honor Forum
Other Material Here (Angels on both sides of the War and Wolves): PCA WiP Forum
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Slips

Slips

++ ARCHIMAGIRUS RUDIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 13,202 posts
  • Faction: V,VII,IX,XII,XV Legions

Also, using Martian Iron Earth, a subtle effect was that the edges of the cracked surface is red-colored instead of being Black like the surface (or if you mixed black into a colorless medium) making it mix in better with the yellow-red-orange lava colors underneath and giving the impression of rock being lit by magma.

• Quixus and Bryan Blaire like this

Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image

++Part of the ship...Part of the Crew++

+] Use the Report Button! [+

qwerty2jam

qwerty2jam

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 31 posts
Just though I would drop by and say that this is amazingly simple, gave it a go and looks amazing even on the first try. I've always wanted lava bases but with not being very good at blending yet it's always been a bit beyond me.

I can't quite work out how to add an image on mobile at 2am so forgive the link: http://i.imgur.com/uzlHqa1h.jpg

Edited by qwerty2jam, 16 December 2015 - 12:19 AM.

• Quixus and Slips like this

Jolemai

Jolemai

++ CERDONIS CÆDIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 12,434 posts
  • Faction: Blood Angels

So, what colour should the rims be with this method?

Just though I would drop by and say that this is amazingly simple, gave it a go and looks amazing evening on the first try. I've always wanted lava bases but with not being very good at blending yet it's always been a bit beyond me.

I can't quite work out how to add an image on mobile at 2am so forgive the link: http://i.imgur.com/uzlHqa1h.jpg

Looking good thumbsup.gif

gallery_62972_14467_5178.jpggallery_62972_14467_1351.jpgETL_2018_Medal_04_ETL_Magister.gifETL_2018_Medal_03_Primus_Interpares_01.gETL_VI_Banner_Dominus_Exercitus_Blood_AnETL_2018_Medal_01_Custos_Fidei_03.gifETL_Medal_05.gifgallery_62972_14467_4151.jpggallery_62972_14467_3390.jpg

Blogs Blood Angels| Veritas Vitae | Battle Reports | Terrain | IXth Legion | Miscellaneous Imperials
1000 Scout list W:0 D:0 L:3
1250 Death Company List (jump)  W:0 D:0 L:0
1500 Light Mech List W:0 D:0 L:0 Dreadnought List W:0 D:0 L:1
1750 Hybrid List W:1 D:0 L:0
1850 Death Company List (mech) W:0 D:0 L:0
2000 Heavy Mech List W:0 D:0 L:0 Two Towers List W:1 D:0 L:0
Apocalypse W:1 D:0 L:0

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users