What about for a made up unit? I did a breacher shield on my TDA praetor and I'm considering doing a squad of TDA breachers for my Dusk Raiders.

Iron hands fanatic once mentioned something about a night Lords specific breacher unit, maybe involving rad/Chem, don't think it ever got finished.

Also you can combine breachers and choom :tongue.:

I will end up doing a few sketches for them at some point...

The idea was breachers all equipped with flamers, and each carrying a power-armour version of a grenade harness, but with psychotropic / hallucinogenic gas canisters.

Also, they all have corpses strapped to their boarding shields because Night Lords.

I shall now go and order some phalanx warder and breachers was going to get a fire raptor but sod it "MEN WITH SHIELDS" I'm going to paint the storm shields for my cataphractii right after I finish these ten tacticals

10x breaches in a land raider is an ok unit. Driving around charging at aroumoured cermite Spartans and such,

Mind expanding on this train of thought?

on paper large squads of of tactical seem better for conpulsary troops. But it has been my experience that they are easily wiped out, due to all the high strength low ap weapons in 30k. My thinking is by keeping all your power armoured units in land raiders, you render all your opponents infantry killing stuff useless for most of the game and saturate his anti tank units. So your spending a lot of points on compulsory troops but your oponent is also wasting a lot of points. There's the added benefit of not having to worry about taking out his anti infantry until you want to get out of the land raider allowing you to focus on other threats. As for giving them melta bombs. In the age of flair shields and armoured cermite, melta bombs are one of the best ways to take out armoured units and as every breached can take them, there as good as any unit to take melta bombs with.

Fair points but if a Spartan worries you why not take the Cheaper but equally effective options such as:

• Primaris Lightning bunker busting mode
  • Graviton in its multitude of Flavors

Both of which can easily circumvent Flare Shields (side armor and haywire respectively)

As for Anti-Infantry, Breachers do make up for Low Ap, High Strength shooting vs Tac Blobs by having an Invulnerable save, yes. So while they do have more staying power, they are still just fancier Tac Marines that strongly dissuade charging them. They have the added benefit of being able to take Graviton but, being Heavy weapons, don't like being moved around. And even then, its still only a 6++ vs Ap3 or lower shooting.

And one could argue that sinking ~600+ Points into Breacher + Land Raiders + Melta Bombs might not be the best use of points.

Additionally, if a Spartan is not dealt with rapidly enough and the occupants have the chance to disembark and charge, then, at that point, the Spartan has done its job and for the owning player, loses a lot of its initial value. Betting on a T2 Assault to deal with said spartan by using breachers isn't the best use of them since you could fail the charge for all we know and the Spartan just drives by heading for the juicier target. Not to mention they get a -1" penalty to any charges.

I'd opt to say that, using such a method, you'd be better off ignoring the Spartan and driving headlong towards any backfield armor they have and dealing with those instead. After all, a Spartan Death Star can always be Tarpitted by massed bodies but a 3 Medusa Battery or Typhon can shoot downrange with near-impunity in most cases. These are, to me at least, much bigger "Strap a melta bomb onto it" targets than a Spartan which you would preferably kill with Grav Cannons to leave the occupants stranded in Difficult/Dangerous Terrain barely able to move while you just plink away at them in relative safety.

As for Anti-Infantry fears which aren't the S8 Ap3 or equivalent variety, Tac Squads in Rhinos usually solve that problem.

Devils Advocate and all that.

+++

As to Breachers, in high-points games, they do make for interesting troops choices since they are the only basic selection capable of taking Land Raiders as Standard. Meaning you could technically field an Armored Spearhead list without actually having to take the RoW or any of its downsides (besides points cost).

Their Specialty, as has been oft stated, shall always be ZM. Due to void-hardened armor, when playing with the "universal rending" rules, they ignore it alongside 2+ Armor Models and since very few Templates/Blasts in ZM are Ap3 (irradiation engine and Phosphex Bombs, I'm looking at you), you'll make very good use of those re-rollable armor saves ESPECIALLY when those weapons now gain Shred for Free or +1S if they already have shred.

Couple that with defensive grenades and the tight confines of ZM and you're never at a disadvantage with them vs Assault lists like, say, World Eaters. With Max Squad sizes of 15, you dont really have to worry about 80 Shot Fury Of the Legions namely because they wont all be able to see you. Thank you, Corners.

+++

If you've read any of Hesh's posts on them, you'll find that RG or AL Breachers with attached Vigilators at max squad size with 4x Grav Guns makes for some nasty alpha strike vs Armored Targets due to Infiltrate + Scout getting you within ~12" of your intended target or thereabouts and being able to shoot 4 Haywire Templates at 18" on your T1.

Nasty Stuff.

Even for other Legions, just the 6" Scout move could be all that you'd need.

Or as objective Campers vs Aggro Lists, 20 men with 4 Flamers makes for some very strong anti-charge deterrent. Especially useful in Terrain-Dense Boards where cover would be aplenty

We also have this topic for more general Tactica Talk for Breachers: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/311910-effective-use-of-breachers/

I'm totally on board! :)

Funnily enough, I was recently looking at Breachers and how their costs add up. Many people complain about the price, but when you break down their gear they actually compare very fairly.

I won't go into detail due to the forum rules, but by comparing combat shields on a character vs. on an Assault Marine, it's easy to calculate how much a breaching shield equates to for a Tactical Marine. Take away "Fury of the Legion" and add in a greater range of options & Land Raider Dedicated Transports and you will see they are quite well-costed!

Fair points but if a Spartan worries you why not take the Cheaper but equally effective options such as:

• Primaris Lightning bunker busting mode
  • Graviton in its multitude of Flavors
Both of which can easily circumvent Flare Shields (side armor and haywire respectively)

As for Anti-Infantry, Breachers do make up for Low Ap, High Strength shooting vs Tac Blobs by having an Invulnerable save, yes. So while they do have more staying power, they are still just fancier Tac Marines that strongly dissuade charging them. They have the added benefit of being able to take Graviton but, being Heavy weapons, don't like being moved around. And even then, its still only a 6++ vs Ap3 or lower shooting.

And one could argue that sinking ~600+ Points into Breacher + Land Raiders + Melta Bombs might not be the best use of points.

Additionally, if a Spartan is not dealt with rapidly enough and the occupants have the chance to disembark and charge, then, at that point, the Spartan has done its job and for the owning player, loses a lot of its initial value. Betting on a T2 Assault to deal with said spartan by using breachers isn't the best use of them since you could fail the charge for all we know and the Spartan just drives by heading for the juicier target. Not to mention they get a -1" penalty to any charges.

I'd opt to say that, using such a method, you'd be better off ignoring the Spartan and driving headlong towards any backfield armor they have and dealing with those instead. After all, a Spartan Death Star can always be Tarpitted by massed bodies but a 3 Medusa Battery or Typhon can shoot downrange with near-impunity in most cases. These are, to me at least, much bigger "Strap a melta bomb onto it" targets than a Spartan which you would preferably kill with Grav Cannons to leave the occupants stranded in Difficult/Dangerous Terrain barely able to move while you just plink away at them in relative safety.

As for Anti-Infantry fears which aren't the S8 Ap3 or equivalent variety, Tac Squads in Rhinos usually solve that problem.

Devils Advocate and all that.

+++

As to Breachers, in high-points games, they do make for interesting troops choices since they are the only basic selection capable of taking Land Raiders as Standard. Meaning you could technically field an Armored Spearhead list without actually having to take the RoW or any of its downsides (besides points cost).

Their Specialty, as has been oft stated, shall always be ZM. Due to void-hardened armor, when playing with the "universal rending" rules, they ignore it alongside 2+ Armor Models and since very few Templates/Blasts in ZM are Ap3 (irradiation engine and Phosphex Bombs, I'm looking at you), you'll make very good use of those re-rollable armor saves ESPECIALLY when those weapons now gain Shred for Free or +1S if they already have shred.

Couple that with defensive grenades and the tight confines of ZM and you're never at a disadvantage with them vs Assault lists like, say, World Eaters. With Max Squad sizes of 15, you dont really have to worry about 80 Shot Fury Of the Legions namely because they wont all be able to see you. Thank you, Corners.

+++

If you've read any of Hesh's posts on them, you'll find that RG or AL Breachers with attached Vigilators at max squad size with 4x Grav Guns makes for some nasty alpha strike vs Armored Targets due to Infiltrate + Scout getting you within ~12" of your intended target or thereabouts and being able to shoot 4 Haywire Templates at 18" on your T1.

Nasty Stuff.

Even for other Legions, just the 6" Scout move could be all that you'd need.

Or as objective Campers vs Aggro Lists, 20 men with 4 Flamers makes for some very strong anti-charge deterrent. Especially useful in Terrain-Dense Boards where cover would be aplenty

We also have this topic for more general Tactica Talk for Breachers: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/311910-effective-use-of-breachers/

The Spartan was just an example really as its hard to take out with shooting. Melta bomb breachers are good for any armoured target. I could of just as easily used twin Kherses contemptor talons or predator squadrons. Essentially my point was if your going to spend hundreds of points on 20 man tactical squads with apothecarys that will take up a precious elite slot, and may end up getting blown of the board before they get to do anything you may aswell spend a few more points on breachers in a raider.

Me? I'm definitely a breacher bro:

http://www.powerfisted.com/public/content/P14/Iron%20Warrior%20Breacher%20Squad%200.jpg

GAAAAAADDDAAYUM son. This some really good stuff. dayum.

Im planning on putting breachers into my UM list, i think they make the Suzerain look even better and give a nice uniformed theme to the list.

from a gaming point of view Slips has it completely right, and Hesh is probably bang on the money with 7 being the best number, but personally i would probably go lower and put the points elsewhere, depends what you want them for, as objective camper, or objective smashers.

First a thread for Choom, and now a thread for breachers??? I`m loving this site more and more :wub.:

Now we just need Team Phosphex!

^ This.

I can imagine there will be quite a few heated conversations about hot topics in that thread. Yeah, I'll just go now.

It's like factions within the B&C, like an RPG. ;)

I'm waiting on a delivery in the new year for my Breacher themed army but I'm enjoying (and a little envious of ) the pictures posted here. ;)

Thinking Breachers could use a little update to bring their use and rules into line with the latest releases and their influence on the game.

We know artillery and the like hurts infantry which is sad because big blobs of infantry was kinda cool about 30K.

To counter act this somewhat, perhaps an amendment to Breachers could work here? They're designed to assault targets and take a pounding but 2+ save is just a clumsy and cliché change.

I'm thinking Breachers should stay the same in assault but actually become harder to shift when people shoot at them. This will mess up that silly "meta" and enable folk to take more infantry without extra galactic space death landing on top of their army...

Options I considered:

1) blast marker/template weapons lose 1 Strength and AP against Breachers - okay for some artillery but the big ones will still chew through squads and not change the meta.

2) Breachers get a 4+ invulnerable save against blast marker and template weapons. - feels workable without invalidating other infantry.

3) Breachers get a HoW attack at the beginning of each assault after the 1st - this simulates a shield wall pummelling the opponent to the dust with shields. When charging or receiving charges it isn't needed.

Now, I'd say 2 and 3 work well to chop up the meta. What say people?

My personal thoughts were:
Drop to 200pts base
Either let the invulnerable save be re-rolled against blasts or boost it somehow (liking the 4++)

Improved overwatch. I kinda think that with all shields locked, their reaction firing would be more stable than normal folk

My personal thoughts were:

Drop to 200pts base

Either let the invulnerable save be re-rolled against blasts or boost it somehow (liking the 4++)

Improved overwatch. I kinda think that with all shields locked, their reaction firing would be more stable than normal folk

Overwatch is the same sort of wavelength as my own idea for HoW hits against units. A sort of prickly thorn to attack.

My only gripe is the lack of use in following turns. Generating additional slams each turn makes them ideal for a war of attrition but with only a single attack each etc you won't see Breachers overpowering high end units which is balanced.

Would justify their cost too.

Are the Invectarus Suzerains counted as breachers? :-P

Artillery does indeed hurt infantry in this game, but it just means you need to make good use of Heavy Support to thin out the enemy's vehicles that could hurt your troops...

Archived