[HH1.0] Dark Angels Tactics

Frostmourne

Quick rules question in regards to Ironwing and sniper vets.

So I know they get +1 to wound within 12" which means wounding everything on a 3+. But what about the the AP2 on a roll of a 6? Since the sniper rule doesn't specify "6+", would that mean only wound rolls of 5s would be AP2, and 6s wouldn't because they would technically be 7s?

Good question - I fear it will never be answered. You can ask FW, but my guess is that they do one of three things 1.)Nerf Ironwing vets so that the +1 to wound doesn't affect them, which would be terrible, but not out of FW's realm of silly rules they screw up 2.) rolls of a natural 6 only count 3.) we don't want to answer it, "just see what your game group does" cop out

Sorry if I seem cynical, I'm still bitter about getting sniper taken away from blast weapons, which was only used in conjunction with stasis grenade DA vets.

What do you guys think about using Ironwing breachers in termites? Slap two melta guns in the squad so that when they pop up they nuke a precious Sicaran or Scorpius and are valuable with the +1 to wound afterward. Maybe stick a siege breaker with them to toss a few phosphex bombs and assault a backfield unit to cause problems. Or use graviton guns to auto wound rapier platforms as they don't have a strength profile.

You could be cheeky and termite in front of those damned quad launchers that people are so fond of to block line of sight T1. Forcing your opponent to fire at your 80 something point termite instead of glancing your important tanks to death.

Sadly, things like +/-1 modifiers aren't prevalent at all in 7th. I'd count the AP2 wound as only a roll of a 6, to avoid any issues (as a 7 doesn't really exist in this system).

Breachers are expensive and you're probably just better off with Veterans for that 3+ to wound Sniper Goodness in clsoe range from a Termite, plus they also have chainswords to take advantage of the Legion rules :D

I see the Drills not as a way to bring more infantry (I'll put them in Rhinos or Dedicated Land Raiders, TYVM), but more Dreadnoughts! Each empty drill I bring is one more dreadnought that can make use of the awesome Ironwing bonuses. Maybe one drill could carry my Praetor if I don't put him in a Damocles Rhino - but otherwise I'm more likely to run at least 1 completely empty.

I wouldn't run the drills as empty, but rather run rhinos (with Multimeltas) empty as that way you can rush infantry in the enemy's face and still have annoying rhinos running around melta-ing stuff. I guess maybe two full termites and one empty termite might make sense. And, yeah, bonus dreads are the real prize: tank hunting Kheres are so good.

I wouldn't run the drills as empty, but rather run rhinos (with Multimeltas) empty as that way you can rush infantry in the enemy's face and still have annoying rhinos running around melta-ing stuff. I guess maybe two full termites and one empty termite might make sense. And, yeah, bonus dreads are the real prize: tank hunting Kheres are so good.

Is it possible to run rhinos empty? I thought units that take dedicated transports have to start in them?

Is it possible to run rhinos empty? I thought units that take dedicated transports have to start in them?

Not at all.

Not at all.

If I'm not mistaken, a unit that takes a dedicated transport can choose whether or not to begin the game embarked, but no unit aside from the unit that purchased it (and attached independent characters) can begin the game embarked in a dedicated transport.

What do y’all think about plasma repeaters in a termite? Have I mentioned termites before? Termites are pretty cool. I like termites :yes: :P

I think it would be a cost effective option of getting them within that diabolical 6” range to nuke some big baddies.

The termite would probably be the best delivery vector for a tactical support squad with plasma repeaters but on the turn they get out of their transport, they're not that much more killy than plasma guns (2 shots with twin linked vs. 2 shots). I'm not sure that would justify the points difference. If they survive the retaliation, the plasma repeaters are going to have trouble repeating the performance unless the enemy decided to leave some of their units standing close by.

Have to check it inthe "new" rulebook but remember that in 7th salvo needed only the closest model to be in min range - otherwise shots were resolved t max range.  I think that twin linked is definitely worth the cost since you want to squeze maximum out of plasma anyway. With rerolls to hit they are much more reliable (and safer) than PGs.

My only problem with that is after they deploy and (hopefully) eradicate their target, there's little they could do. Because A.) Your opponent will unleash full retribution on them or B.) Their effective range whether they stand still or move is only 12" Edited by ShadowCore67

But then you get no plasma at all lol. For +5 points per guy you get rerolls to hit which equals divination librarian for 25pts.

The Repeater cost 20 points per dude to exchange their Plasma Gun. Dive times 20 is 100.

= Librarian with Divination, who gives them re-rolls AND punch in cc AND they can shoot 24".

A divination Librarian that doesn't take a HQ slot and always casts ;)

And you can't argue with that dakka!

Sure I can.

In fact I just did. :P

Now that combi-stasis is officially not one use only would you say that they are an auto include for anything that can take them? Even tacticals?

They lost rending from sniper vets so that’s a big negatory. I’d still take at least one on a vet squad since they’ll be charging into cc. For tacticals...we don’t have much bite in cc to warrant using them unless you have spare points lying around.

Slapping one on a praetor with a terranic greatsword is a phenomenal idea as you can nerf your opponent’s stompy squad and try to ID the other praetor before he gets to swing.

Personally, yes. Especially until the DA get fully revisited.

Unless your tacs are literally just going to sit on an objective and bolter things then die if something looks at them, arming them up means they can serve a good and varied purpose.

Enemy MEQ after being hit by a Stasis Grenade will be hit easier and hit before they can even strike back. Against WS5 foes it means you can even have a good chance of killing a few, hitting them easier before they get to strike!

Put them even on tacticals. You want as many as you can take (reasonably) because:

a) shooty tac squad can/should support other stronger units. Additional chance to pull off a stasis effect is always good insurance - blasts can scatter nd you don't want to rely on a single launcher when charging a key unit.

b) Despoilers are a sensible choice for DA. Add an apothecary (blade of caliban, AA and/or even another launcher) and fist/axe on sarge and you have nice assault support unit. Versus mirror tactical or other nonsuperelite 3+ save you should be victorious (numbers counts of course). You may even consider a consul.

EXTREMELY IMPORTNANT THING

If you go first remember that stasis anomaly works until the end of the turn which means your's and opponent's. Stasis are an awesome defensive tool that way, especially when combined with boarding shield (striking at -1 WS and I with no additional attacks on the charge).

Oh and btw - dreadnought's/knights are not immune to stasis anomaly.

And another btw as we speakon dreadnoughts - Cortus' LOVE stasis shells suport. If you manage to hit a CC target with a stasis shell before cortus charges you get two benefits:

1) Cortus is WS4, when charging some other WS4 target he hits on 3+, striking first

2) You can use atomantic overcharge for rage instead of I (I often use I bonus vs other dreads or knights)

Resume: Stasis shells are awesome. They are basically a second part on our LA rules.

• 4 weeks later...

So I played my first game of Ironwing Protocol last weekend. I took a Praetor in a Rhino with a veteran Tac Squad, 2 Tac Squads in rhinos, a Typhon, a full squadron of Vindicator LasDestroyers, and a full squadron of Cannon/Las Predators at 2000 points against Ordo Reductor. I took out a Krios Venator in my first turn and wounded his Vultarax (he seized). Second turn I finished off his Vultarax. Third turn I Thunderblitzed his Karacnos off the table, but my Predators were all destroyed by then and my Vindicators were getting boxed in by Thallax where I couldn’t get LOS on his last Krios Venator. Also, I split my Praetor off from the Veteran Squad so they could go after an objective while my Praetor killed a 2-robot squad of Thallax in CC. The Praetor died to Multimelta overwatch :-( Late-game both the Typhon and Vindicators were taken down. I ended up losing the game by a few points between Price of Failure and Covenant of Death. Lessons learned:

I need more units to compensate for Covenant of Death.

I need to remember the Exterminators Ironwing rule on my bolters.

My positioning could have been better.

Now I’m thinking of dropping the Predator squadron for a Damocles, a Scorpius, and a Legion Dreadnought with 2 DCCW and Gravguns. That also gives my Praetor a place to ride and my veterans can take a second acid-round HB. What other advise do people have?

Now that combi-stasis is officially not one use only would you say that they are an auto include for anything that can take them? Even tacticals?

They lost rending from sniper vets so that’s a big negatory. I’d still take at least one on a vet squad since they’ll be charging into cc. For tacticals...we don’t have much bite in cc to warrant using them unless you have spare points lying around.

Slapping one on a praetor with a terranic greatsword is a phenomenal idea as you can nerf your opponent’s stompy squad and try to ID the other praetor before he gets to swing.

Wait, Sniper Vets no longer have rending? Since when?!