[HH1.0] Dark Angels Tactics

Frostmourne

Now that combi-stasis is officially not one use only would you say that they are an auto include for anything that can take them? Even tacticals?

They lost rending from sniper vets so that’s a big negatory. I’d still take at least one on a vet squad since they’ll be charging into cc. For tacticals...we don’t have much bite in cc to warrant using them unless you have spare points lying around.

Slapping one on a praetor with a terranic greatsword is a phenomenal idea as you can nerf your opponent’s stompy squad and try to ID the other praetor before he gets to swing.

Wait, Sniper Vets no longer have rending? Since when?! 

They lost it for Template Weapons specifically such as Flamers; Sniper has never been rending either its always been Ap2 on 6s to wound.

• 4 weeks later...
I know the answer to this will vary by meta and what you’re bringing, but I wanted to gauge the community anyways: what do you guys find is a good number of units to have and not worry about Covenant of Death? My first iteration Ironwing Protocol list had I think 9 units at 2000 points including rhinos and I felt very vulnerable. My new list has 14 units at 2500 points. I want to take squadrons of tanks to use the RoW’s rules, but that really eats up points.

My Ironwing list is also 14 units at 2500 points. That said, I was subject to Covenant of Death in two out of my three games at Adepticon (granted, one happened only due to a single laser destroyer shot that blew up an undamaged Land Raider in cover on turn seven).

Also, don't discount the power of a squad of predators with predator cannons and heavy bolters. Hitting on 2+ they can deal buckets of wounds for a relatively small cost.

I currently planning a squadron just like that! I used Predator Cannon/Lascannon in my last game, but I can’t find the points for the lascannons this time. Do you still find the squadron command tank upgrade worth it? Here’s my list, btw: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/346065-2500-dark-angels-ironwing-protocol/

I think that the Preds in a squadron to get BS5 and Tank hunter makes them a scourge to anything AV 10/11 as well (and 12 if you want to give up the HB shooting).

If you want to be REALLY cheeky you could add a pintle Multi-Melta or something to each for extra tank-hunting fun.

I don't think it's worth it for the command tank. You'll usually be sitting at long range shooting infantry rather than vehicles. And against rhinos the tank hunter is overkill. I can only see it being useful if you're planning on shooting the autocannons at a bunch of dreads or the whole tank at a max squad of javelins.

Is it a lot of points?

Hell yeah!

But could you put some small scoring squads in them to contest objectives last minute? Yeeeeeesss.

Plus 9 BS5 Tank-Hunting Lascannons with potentially scout would be insane.

What is the tank hunter from? Just genuinely asking, I thought it was only for dreads?

My plan was to have triple multi lascannon proteii with mounted squads and a boxnaught squad with acid heavy bolters :devil:

The Tank Hunters is probably from one of them having the Squadron Command Tank upgrade, for targets w/in 24"?

That's the Badger.

I’m getting old lol I can never remember that stuff. Would be pretty dope though.

• 2 months later...

are seekers in a termite worth it in an ironwing list or should i just stick to executioner preds for anti-TEQ?

6 seekers w/combi-plasma in a choomy termite is 305pts

2 executioner preds w/lascannon and machine spirit on both is 390pts, and they can target a seperate unit with the machine spirit lacannons (other vehicles).

i was looking to change things up a little but im not totally sure if seekers are the way to go, maybe a termite isn't so fluffy for an armoured company themed list...?

just like to hear other peoples thoughts before i take the plunge on the termite model...

It's up to you buddy.

Termite is indeed a "tank" and it's just another aspect of armoured warfare. We won't now of it's super fluffy until we know more I suppose!

The advantage vid they are a FA choice instead of the coveted HS.

Good point on the tank type and fast attack slot! i was thinking of taking a proteus or rhino as a dedicated transport but deploying them in the termite to comply with the restrictions...

on that note, then. If i took some seekers and deployed them in a termite, would using their dedicated LR-Proteus with hull lascannon and augury web as an outflank threat be a worthwhile option or just a massive points sink?

I've got a list idea at 2.5k with a couple of basic tac squads,a mortis-dread, two laser vindis and some basic predator squadrons being deployed on the board with machine killer vets, some plasma seekers (both in termites), the seekers proteus and an acid-jetbike command squad deploying via reserves...

maybe it's better to scout the proteus into position so i can utilise the augury web earlier?

i'm just hoping to bounce some ideas off more experienced members of the board! :sweat:

Good point on the tank type and fast attack slot! i was thinking of taking a proteus or rhino as a dedicated transport but deploying them in the termite to comply with the restrictions...

on that note, then. If i took some seekers and deployed them in a termite, would using their dedicated LR-Proteus with hull lascannon and augury web as an outflank threat be a worthwhile option or just a massive points sink?

I've got a list idea at 2.5k with a couple of basic tac squads,a mortis-dread, two laser vindis and some basic predator squadrons being deployed on the board with machine killer vets, some plasma seekers (both in termites), the seekers proteus and an acid-jetbike command squad deploying via reserves...

maybe it's better to scout the proteus into position so i can utilise the augury web earlier?

i'm just hoping to bounce some ideas off more experienced members of the board! :sweat:

I think deploying a squad in a different vehicle to their DT is against the rules. Because otherwise you'd basically be getting a free slot. 

• 3 months later...

Skimming last three pages I saw that “stasis grenades are now officially not one use only”. What does that mean?

I’m sorry for dumb question, returning to heresy after a long pause.

It's an easy miss mate!

Basically with the FAQ Combi Volkite & Grenade Launchers alternative fire are no longer "One-Use" (like Plasma, Flamer, Melta). So you can shoot the grenade launcher or volkite charger as many time as you want per battle!

MEANING, if you have a Combi-Grenade launcher + Stasis Grenades, you have as many shots as you want with them over the course of the game.

• 2 weeks later...

Attack Bikes vs Jetbikes with Acid Heavy Bolters?

Jetbikes have a 2+, but the Attack bikes have Bolters on top as well as an extra wound and more combat punch for emergencies.

In addition, what units have people found go-to with DA? In or out of their specific RoW...

I've found dual kheres Contemptor Mortis dreads to be amazing in Ironwing. 12 rending shots synergizes so well with tank hunter. The only downsides are how they eat up elites slots (and non tank choices) and 24" range. I also really love my predator cannon/heavy bolted predator squadron in Ironwing. It's just so many shots at BS5 with decent strength and it chews up infantry (especially Mechanicum). Just don't waste shots at squads of Marines with FNP

Attack Bikes vs Jetbikes with Acid Heavy Bolters?

Jetbikes have a 2+, but the Attack bikes have Bolters on top as well as an extra wound and more combat punch for emergencies.

In addition, what units have people found go-to with DA? In or out of their specific RoW...

Honestly I think its best to have both!

I am currently assembling an all Jetbike Ravenwing but want to branch out once this project is done. 44 jet bikes should be enough.

• 1 month later...

So I've got a 2K Centurion event coming up and DA are in the running to what I might bring...

What are some decent picks at this level for the 1st Legion? Bear in mind that the restrictions are:

NONE of the following:
Primarchs; Fliers; Drop Pods; Artillery; vehicles with the Tank type; Superheavies.

Restricted units:
Bikes, Attack Bikes and Jet Bikes are a 0-2 choice (this is total, not per unit type).
Units of Monstrous Creatures and Leviathan SiegeDreadnoughts are 0-1 choices.

This rules out both "Wing" RoW in favour of more boots on the ground. With the sheer lack of options available to DA at the moment, the best options seems like perhaps Pride of the Legion, to focus on Vets and maximize the power of the units. Backed up by some Acid Shell Bikes and a Leviathan for #FUN.

Due to the event rules (bonus VP for Champions killing characters, Moritats hitting lots with shots and other silly things) i'll probably be bringing a few consuls too.

Any further ideas?