[HH1.0] Dark Angels Tactics

Frostmourne

Maybe a unit of Heavy Support Marines with Acid Heavy Bolters? A champion consul with Paragon Blade (that looks like a sword) and/or Terranic Greatsword (if you expect to see mechanicum, daemons, or Gal Vorbak) could also kill a lot if you're going for a consul and would be fluffy. Combine him with a stasis grenade and he'll also usually attack first to get those bonus points.

Otherwise... I don't know... acid shells can go on dreads too?

Man I wouldn’t take DA to an event like that... we have so few advantages and that eliminates so many of them. I’d at least try to grab a couple units of jet bikes with acid. Maybe a plasma cannon heavy Support Squad with auspex to try to counter inevitable deep striking terminators?

True, but gotta start somewhere! Plus DS Terminators will only be exclusively via warlord trait and IF/ NL, as all other types are dissallowed by the rules set up.

While DA will be at a disadvantage, it's a narrative event so it doesn't matter too much!

Working on a list and will share when I've got an idea sorted ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Technical question:  In the Ironwing RoW, do dedicated transports count towards the minimum number of tanks required ? I.E.: Half of the units must be tanks. Does a dedicated transport which has the tank type qualify here, or are the only tanks (squadrons) which are eligible those purchased from the Heavy Support, LoW and / or HQ slots ?

Yes, dedicated transports count.

I’m curious how techmarines with rhinos count. I think it’s supposed to be that 3 techmarines (1 Force Org slot) and 3 Rhinos cancel each other out, but it’d be nice if the 3 techmarines counted as 1 unit like Dreadnought Talons.

Technical question:  In the Ironwing RoW, do dedicated transports count towards the minimum number of tanks required ? I.E.: Half of the units must be tanks. Does a dedicated transport which has the tank type qualify here, or are the only tanks (squadrons) which are eligible those purchased from the Heavy Support, LoW and / or HQ slots ?

If they didn't then it would be unplayable!

• 2 months later...

So, with the new buff to Destroyers I have to say they are looking amazing for the 1st legion. With the new rending flamers from book 8 they can get a nice dread wing vibe and since they are all armed with close combat weapons they can benefit from the Mastery of the Blade rule.

• 4 weeks later...

So something absolutely silly I thought of with the new consul:

1. Take ironwing protocol

2. Take mortificator consul

3. Get dread mob with tank hunters, fear, and sunder and shred in cc. Dreads also get additional save. Oh and morty gives them fixes with his servo arm.

4. Unit only counts as one non tank unit

5. ???

6. Profit

I’d take a minimum of 3 contemptors to get the most out of it. Try to take fist/lascannon or fist/kheres on all mechs.

3. Get dread mob with tank hunters, fear, and sunder and shred in cc. Dreads also get additional save. Oh and morty gives them fixes with his servo arm.

5. ???

6. Profit

I’d take a minimum of 3 contemptors to get the most out of it. Try to take fist/lascannon or fist/kheres on all mechs.

Issue is, all infantry must be embarked. So the Mortificator can't be taken RAW.

5. ???

6. Profit

Issue is, all infantry must be embarked. So the Mortificator can't be taken RAW.

Isn’t he part of a vehicle squadron?

He's still of the Infantry type though, even if his charges aren't :/

Like a Praevian.

So it's a weird case that'll probably need an FAQ.

Edited by Darkwrath121

Like a Praevian.

Oh definitely, in either case, a squad of acid heavy bolters with an armistos is disgusting. Add a MOS for extra salt.

Like a Praevian.

Oh definitely, in either case, a squad of acid heavy bolters with an armistos is disgusting. Add a MOS for extra salt.
One turn of your opponent and they're gone. Still only marines. ;)

I'm thinking that except for tank hunting dreads Ironwing is kind of pointless. Limitations are severe, and bonuses are largely irrelevant.This RoW is a trap unless you are going vs other mech list.

Edited by rendingon1+

I'm thinking that except for tank hunting dreads Ironwing is kind of pointless. Limitations are severe, and bonuses are largely irrelevant.This RoW is a trap unless you are going vs other mech list.

It's.... Fine. The tank hunting dreads as you say are real winners. Talons count as one non-vehicle choice too remember!

I think there is something to be said about marines that sally up in Rhinos, jump out and shoot you with +1 to wound and then take charges with +1 to hit. Seekers are solid to take advantage of this. Even better you can take Land Raiders and do it all in one turn (though are limited to pistols...)

BS5 on tank squads is great too! The new Sicarans that can be taken in pairs will make excellent work of it.

The limitations are just a little borked at the moment, I believe it was said at Warhammerfest that the DA are pretty much getting a rewrite anyway.

The tank hunting dreads is probably the best part of that rite, but BS5 tank squads is pretty amazing too. With three Laser Destroyer Vindicators you're usually going to hit with all 6 or 9 shots. With a squad of Predators, you're going to score a ton of hits with an autocannon/heavy bolter load out. I'm sure it will also work well with Land Raiders Protei with triple lascannons, lascannon sponson Predators, or the new Sicaran squadrons (especially the gatling gun one).

The +1 to wound helps, especially if you manage to Fury, but it often isn't a huge benefit. It was really strong with sniper Vets when they existed.

Edited by Ficinus

True story, I shot a 10-man Tactical Squad at a 5-man Terminator Squad, Fury of the Legion. 40 shots, hitting on 3s, wounding on 3s, zero kills. Sigh.

I really love Ironwing thematically, but I need more practice. Simultaneously hiding all those tanks from some things and lining up good shots on other things isn’t something I’ve mastered yet.

True story, I shot a 10-man Tactical Squad at a 5-man Terminator Squad, Fury of the Legion. 40 shots, hitting on 3s, wounding on 3s, zero kills. Sigh.

Should habe been three.

Sometimes bad luck is in our way.

I'm not saying this RoW is a trash but in my opinion buffs are limited by units/weapons that benefit from them.

Let's take +1 BS - you have to take 2+ vehicle squadrons, it's all right since it's a tank row. Problem is, artillery, predator turrets, vindis and LR have either blast ot twin linked. Sure, it's always nice to have an option for reducing scatter by additional inch or rerollable 2+ to hit but is it REALLY that strong or necessary? BS5 autocannons are nice but as we know they are neither 3+ infantry killers or armour crackers.

+1 to wound on rapid, salvo or pistols if weapon is <S6- sounds very nice but let's take a view what units (and weapons) might actually make use of it. So, considering limitations ie. one tank unit for every unit with infantry type that makes:

-Troops:

Tacticals, Breachers, Supports with rotors (covered by transports). Only weapons that they have is bolters (none of breacher special weapons will benefit) or rotors (which are useless)

-Fast attacks:

Seekers (covered by transport) with kraken or blasts only. Question: is this combo really so great that you need an expensive and fragile marksman unit which already has a go to option of Scorpius/ +combi (that do not benefit from +1 to wound)? I say no.

-Heavy Support:

none

- Elites:

Veterans and terminators - same as with tacticals, only bolters. Point can be made for veteran serpenta but it costs way too much points for extremely short range (probaly) only one salvo in the game. Because if they're in serpenta range that would mean they will charge (and fight, and take casualties) or will be charged/blasted next turn.

-HQ:

???

This RoW could be quite nice IF they:

lift infantry to armour ratio (especially not counting HQ for it)/ just make a rule that every infantry unit must be embarked at the start of the game instead

OR

Give land raiders as a transports AKA armoured breakthrough

OR

change rapid/salvo/pistol in exterminators to "all weapons with <S6"

• 1 month later...

Anyone run the new Armistos consul joined to a Heavy Squad armed with Heavy Bolters upgraded with Molecular Acid Rounds? On paper it reads as absolute filth.

Naaah, just buy a Bunker with amo dump. That way you can re-roll every one to hit, have a decent fire position where you want and are well protected.

Unless you want a headache in the shooting phase, don't run one. You'd need to roll the ap for each shot seperate and then roll them in sets of 3 as each gun can only reroll one miss.

Or buy dice for every Shooter in a seperate colour. ;)

It is called (needles) pedantry guys.

When you're shooting at mono save unit like 3+ or 2+, you really only want two sets of colour dice - one that negates sv one that does not. Why would you ever need a different dice for non penetrating shells?

Edited by rendingon1+