Bare ceramite

apologist

Simple question: what colour is bare ceramite?  Matt grey? Silver? Gunmetal? Light or dark?

I thought this might be useful for chipped paint in the Heresy era, and also for anyone doing a pre-Primarch era or Unification War Legion.

If anyone would like to use this to show some pictures of painted examples, that'd be much appreciated.

Oddly enough, the XIV is supposed to wear bare ceramite in both their incarnations as the storm grey Dusk Raiders and white Death Guard, so take that as you will.

Personally, I don't think it would be a metal color and it certainly wouldn't rust.

I think as it is most likely a metal and ceramic compound it'll be a sort of dull grey, that could go shiny or matte depending on the type of damage it sustains. For example we know from Destroyers that radiation exposure turns it a coal black :)

This is my take on the latter concept, dark, grey, a dull shine and dirty.

http://i1380.photobucket.com/albums/ah177/nevscorner/Snapchat-5274882401070514706_zpsvfsm0vot.jpg

As BCK says, different canon examples of colours exist. If it were me, I'd say that Ceramite is more of a class of materials rather than a specific one: therefore you'd have different proportions of materials in the "alloy" mix, so you'd have different possible colours.

I also agree that it probably wouldn't rust, but if there is a special metal plating over the top, that might. For instance, how I imagine Iron Warriors having their silver look is by actually plating the ceramite in thin sheets of iron or steel, possibly providing special protection against some elements, but still rusting if not taken care of properly.

Could also be that, while ceramite is the main component of Power Armour, it is not the topmost. I see PA as being multilayer, with a very thick plate of whitish ceramite, but a layer of silver or grey material over it. Paint also comes in play: soviet spaceships were painted green for a single reason, that that particular green paint protected them from corrosion and rain. So the white of DG armour, or the storm cloud grey of unity legions, could very well be the base paint, with unpainted ceramite being silver, or the other way around.

Could also be that, while ceramite is the main component of Power Armour, it is not the topmost. I see PA as being multilayer, with a very thick plate of whitish ceramite, but a layer of silver or grey material over it. Paint also comes in play: soviet spaceships were painted green for a single reason, that that particular green paint protected them from corrosion and rain. So the white of DG armour, or the storm cloud grey of unity legions, could very well be the base paint, with unpainted ceramite being silver, or the other way around.

I would assume different legions built on this and had different composites put into thier armour for what they preferred it to resist against or to achieve certain colours :)

Something to keep in mind is that there are a lot of different ways in which ceramite armor could have been made, ranging from different forge worlds, recipes or armor marks, that could have had an impact on the appearance of bare ceramite.

First generation, Terran armor could have had a smokier, darker look, while later Barbarusan stock had an almost chalky appearance, and the highly advanced aegis armor was polished to a bright, reflective sheen. All are bare ceramite, but necessarily the exact same.

Archived