Conqueror (Twisthammer Book One)

Midgard

From the few glimpses of BotL, it looks like you guys have a large amount of stuff already written, though it's been a while since I looked last, and I am not sure where things stand now. It looked like the existing fluff was in the process of being organized and put into a consistent format, with most emphasis being on codex-style or index-style entries rather than outright fiction. Where are you guys currently looking to fill in the fluff with fiction?

Yeah. We have lots.of stuff and focus more on the codex/index style. But we have for example a monthlz fluff challenge where anybody could write a story about the legion of the month. A good point to start. You can ask any question there and the fraters are happy to help and even a cool quote would be already awesome as we try to establish our own universe. 100K fiction....woah.

..that is novel size material.

That's my thing... I've always found it easier to write novel-sized pieces, and wrote three of those in Twisthammer-verse (plus quite a few original universe ones) over the years. Short stories are a different challenge, because it is sometimes hard to contain an interesting tale in a short piece without a great, self-contained, yet not too large idea.

As Mikhal already said, the monthly fluff challenge could be a great way to take part. :)

In doing so, you'd get familiar with the Legions and the setting (before diving into the numerous threads we got). You can write whatever you want in terms of length and word count.

A full novel would be too much for now, as we're currently got only FW-ish fluff written down (besides the great Stories thread).

If a short story would be a challenge for you, this could be a good training as well. ;)

That's my thing... I've always found it easier to write novel-sized pieces, and wrote three of those in Twisthammer-verse (plus quite a few original universe ones) over the years. Short stories are a different challenge, because it is sometimes hard to contain an interesting tale in a short piece without a great, self-contained, yet not too large idea.

I can sympathize with that. 

Anyway to offer a more comprehensive answer as to what we're actually doing, our efforts are primarily focused on the rulebooks and the codex-style fluff. But we also do write straight-up fiction in the form of the monthly challenges and the Stories thread. While the monthly challenges are focused on a single Legion, the Stories thread is free-for-all, any topic and any length. 

Outside of that, the only regular fiction is my Second Son... novella (?). It's well above 40k words, but that's an exception and not the rule. 

Not necessarily trying to pressure you into joining, but just trying to offer a clear picture of the writing we do in BotL.