Adepta Sororitas 7th edition codex (Update)

Anjetto

Okay, so I updated this but I don't have a great PDF combiner (So it's split into multiple parts). It's a full 7th edition codex. With decurion, formations, new characters, (Medicae superior and Dialogus Superior) New special characters and Acts of Faith. Also includes a 'Angels of Death' style supplement with decurions for all the major orders militant, new formations and Relics and warlord traits for them all. This is called 'Daughters of the Emperor.' 

It has been updated but there's probably typos galore all over the place. With the recent 'announcement' I felt compelled to upload it. I would appreciate the help guys.

I hope you enjoy my vague memories of Latin that I learned while in Catholic school, but, it's not supposed to be Latin, it's High Gothic, so I have some excuses.

Wow. That's a lot of work. Nice job!

A couple of quick questions.

Is the exorcists alternative fire mode supposed to be a blast? As you have it, it's just str 5 and ap 3 with less shots.

Also, how long does an act of faith last? I didn't see that in there. Is it permanent?! I assume not.

And lastly, what internet interaction would be complete without some criticism :)

Martyrs? Suicide bombers with exploding vests??... Just ew.

Thanks again for sharing

Well, this is why proof reading is a good thing. Lol

Yes, the airburst fire mode for the exorcist is supposed to be S:5, AP:3, Heavy D3, Blast

Also, yes, hidden in the giant wall of text near the end of the codex is how acts of faith are operated and activated. I like to keep it a mystery. But, all acts of faith must be activated at the beginning of your turn before you move ANY of your models. They all last until the beginning of your next turn.

Well the Martyrs are actually a throwback to 2nd edition. Some of the Imperial guard Penal Legion would go to battle with a bomb collar that you could detonate. And also, 40K is a grimdark world that is always about the worst aspects of human achievement. Can't say that the Bomb Martyr's wouldn't represent that. :-)

In the interest of political sensitivity, I'd personally remove the bomb vests and replace them with single-shot plasma detonators (Rng 6", S4 AP4, Assault 1 Blast, Rending, Ignores Cover). Same effect, but less inflammatory if they're not explicitly suicide bombers. The Imperial Creed doesn't have a clause about automartyrdom, after all, you have to be made a martyr by the enemy.

Hexagrammic Wards generally require one to be a psyker to empower them, I believe.

I like Praxedes, but rather than Preferred Enemy, I'd suggest she should have a tactical ability - she died fighting the Tyranids, it was the last thing she did in her career, and she's not a Living Saint, she's just a normal one - so if you're fielding her, it would need to be a historical game set before she fought against Kraken.

Abetha's cool, but maybe a little over-costed. I'd like to know more about her, too! How does a Veteran Superior get two relics? She must be some kind of total badass, but you haven't given us fluff :p Also, the wording on her ability is a little confusing. Is she supposed to be placing all her shots like a Vindicare? Or does she just have the PRecision Shots rule (shots of a 6 are allocatable)?

Battle Sisters... why no Dedicated Repressors? I thought you liked us?!

I believe the traditional term is Frateris rather than Fratres.

Command Squad - why are they a standard Elites choice rather than a Command Squad choice? Also, they should be Celestians. ;) The whole squad isn't made up of Living Saints!

Why is the squad's book nerd a master swordswoman? Oo Let alone allowed to carry the Patron Saint of the Adepta Sororitas, Alicia Dominica's own sword, with which the arch-heretic Vandire was executed?!

Why does the Hospitaller have a device for extracting geneseed, but no medkit? I think you meant Narthecium.

Why are you increasing the cost to 21 points per model for Repentia without increasing their resilience? They'll never see the battlefield with that stat line, even with S7 attacks.

Ophanim are... Vanguard Veterans with -1 S and T? Seems a little expensive per model, given you took Battle Sisters down to 11ppm from 12.

Seraphim without jump packs is just heretical.

Extinguisiher is... a Predator of some kind? Not sure why it deserves a Fast Attack slot, as it is neither fast nor has the ability to start closer to the enemy. Belongs in Heavy.

Immolators should not have 10 transport capacity :p Or a Storm Bolter by default.

... Why are there no Repressors?!

... or Avengers for that matter.

In the interest of political sensitivity, I'd personally remove the bomb vests and replace them with single-shot plasma detonators (Rng 6", S4 AP4, Assault 1 Blast, Rending, Ignores Cover). Same effect, but less inflammatory if they're not explicitly suicide bombers. The Imperial Creed doesn't have a clause about automartyrdom, after all, you have to be made a martyr by the enemy.

Hexagrammic Wards generally require one to be a psyker to empower them, I believe.

I like Praxedes, but rather than Preferred Enemy, I'd suggest she should have a tactical ability - she died fighting the Tyranids, it was the last thing she did in her career, and she's not a Living Saint, she's just a normal one - so if you're fielding her, it would need to be a historical game set before she fought against Kraken.

Abetha's cool, but maybe a little over-costed. I'd like to know more about her, too! How does a Veteran Superior get two relics? She must be some kind of total badass, but you haven't given us fluff tongue.png Also, the wording on her ability is a little confusing. Is she supposed to be placing all her shots like a Vindicare? Or does she just have the PRecision Shots rule (shots of a 6 are allocatable)?

Battle Sisters... why no Dedicated Repressors? I thought you liked us?!

I believe the traditional term is Frateris rather than Fratres.

Command Squad - why are they a standard Elites choice rather than a Command Squad choice? Also, they should be Celestians. msn-wink.gif The whole squad isn't made up of Living Saints!

Why is the squad's book nerd a master swordswoman? Oo Let alone allowed to carry the Patron Saint of the Adepta Sororitas, Alicia Dominica's own sword, with which the arch-heretic Vandire was executed?!

Why does the Hospitaller have a device for extracting geneseed, but no medkit? I think you meant Narthecium.

Why are you increasing the cost to 21 points per model for Repentia without increasing their resilience? They'll never see the battlefield with that stat line, even with S7 attacks.

Ophanim are... Vanguard Veterans with -1 S and T? Seems a little expensive per model, given you took Battle Sisters down to 11ppm from 12.

Seraphim without jump packs is just heretical.

Extinguisiher is... a Predator of some kind? Not sure why it deserves a Fast Attack slot, as it is neither fast nor has the ability to start closer to the enemy. Belongs in Heavy.

Immolators should not have 10 transport capacity tongue.png Or a Storm Bolter by default.

... Why are there no Repressors?!

... or Avengers for that matter.

I pretty much agree with everything Miko said. I will say that you could just do the martyr's like guardsmen with demo charges. That would give them a high probability of dying, but potential for a miracle and they don't without the bad taste in people's mouth.

Only thing I want are the sisters drop pods we got in the Citadel Journal for the flexibility they bring.

I also really like the redemptionists, though I wish they got an evicerator every so many guys...

Edit: Forgot to say Great Work!

Thank you both for your replies! I will now respond to your questions in no real order. lol.

Miko:

Hexagrammic wards: It would be an easy fluff change, I really like the ability and it fits with the Sisters army abilities. Alternately, I could name it something different.

Praxedes: what do you think her ability should be? I am open to suggestions as I do think she's lacking a bit of character in her rules.

Abetha: Well one of her Relics is just a master crafted weapon, so it's not huge, I could probably just change it to a standard weapon actually. I'm not 100% sure on why I made it a relic anyway, other than I thought up a really cool name for it. (Judge dredd is my spirit animal, lol) Yes, she places all her shots like the Vindicare, while hip firing a modified heavy bolter, the image alone is worth the whole character. lol 

Repressors: They're a forge world unit, I figured I'd keep forge world units in forge world rather than just throw them in. Seemed cheap somehow.

Command Squads: The amount of times I've misspelled their names is ridiculous. lol. All command squads (for Space Marines and Tau at least) have all moved to being standard Elite choices for whatever reason so for flow reasons I included them there.

- I reduced the Blade of Admonishment to a special issue item, not a Relic. As, if we really look at it, the weapon is just a Space marine Relic blade that costs 5 points more for some reason. The current codex allows the Dialogus to take Relics, I'm not completely sure why but that's the way it is. Space Marines have Company champions and in this squad she would be that same roll, plus a rule or two and minus a rule or two. Not the best narrative, I'll admit but slight fluff fudges for the sake of competitive balance has happened every single codex that GW has made. 

Hospitaller: Yes indeed I did mean a Narthecium! lol.

Repentia: They now have FNP 5+ as standard and their Act of Faith allows them to re-roll 1s when making those tests. That increases their durability. Added the right warlord trait (or Jacobus to not have to risk a roll) and another Act of Faith gives the squad a 4+ FNP with re-rolls of 1 and a 5+ Invuln in combat with a re-roll. That's actually pretty survivable, far more survivable than now, especially for 12 PPM (and a 100 point character.) They're also cheaper base and won't automatically fold to a random bolter burst like they do now (though that's not saying much.) Space Marines spend 20+ points to gain an Eviscerator in their Assault squads and while they have Higher T, Sv and mobility giving them the same weapon for 1/5th the cost seems kinda ridiculous. I envisioned them as a few members of a squad upgrade rather than everyone but a compromise could be made by upping the base stats on the Chain Claymore. 

Ophanim: They also have a 5++ re-rollable save and cause Fear. Far more than the Vangards, however, those rules are very situational I'll admit. 

Seraphim: All Imperium units that used to have jump packs by default have now gotten cheaper and have their jump pack cost 3PPM on the upgrade. I did it for the sake of codex alignment, but honestly, I can't image not taking them.  

Extinguisiher: I was considering giving it either Fast or Scout by default then, cunningly, chose neither and kept it in FA. Which rule would work? I think Scout, so it can roll with the Dominions.

Immolators: The Stormbolter was intentional, the transport capacity was a typo. :-)

Forge world stays forge world. lol

Grendal:

I went back and forth on drop pods but I ultimately excluded them for the same reason I excluded Repressors and Avengers. Forge world stays forge world and the drop pod just seemed so old and so out of date with rules that were so hard to find that it didn't feel honest anymore.

Actually, adding an Eviserator to every 5th redemptionist is a really good idea! I'll do that.

Thanks again both of you!

One final thought, I was thinking about dropping Confessors and the Battle conclave completely but leaving the rest of the codex as is (bar typo changes) what would you think.

How do you like the formations and the Gladius/Decurion detachment?

So basically, Abetha just named her MC sword? That's perfectly fine then! Just a line of fluff about it would fix any "huh?" issues.

Praxedes, I'd look at the Strategic Warlord Traits for inspiration. She was famous for guerilla tactics and ambushes, so perhaps granting a unit Infiltrate or giving her (and/or a squad of her choice) Hit and Run?

If you want to downgrade the Blade of Admonition to SIW, then you need to rename it and stuff, because honestly, the Blade of Admonition is a specific item that's possibly one of the holiest items in the entire Sisterhood's reliquary, despite its poor game stats.

As far as a Company Champion type character is concerned, I would make her a third upgrade, rather than trying to shoehorn the role onto one of the others - Dialogous have a very specific job, and fighting isn't it. There's a reason they only have BS/WS 3 in the current rules. They're not Sisters Militant.

However: Saint Katherine is known to have been Saint Alicia's shieldbearer, implying that a champion who carries a Praesidium Protectiva for the Canoness is a thing that happens. A 10-point upgrade for a Celestian to be an Armiger (latin for shield-bearer), giving her a Praesidium and a (generic) Blessed Weapon would make perfect sense.

As for Repentia, we shouldn't be comparing them to Assault Marines. Assault Marines have Jump Packs or Assault Transports, as well as being S8 with an Eviscerator rather than S6, on top of their higher durability. 22 points per model for a Repentia with an Eviscerator is just too much - in the White Dwarf codex, they had 5+ Feel no Pain as standard at 17ppm, as well as a much more useful Act of Faith ("Attack once even if you die"), and they were still ignored as too fragile to be worth the points.

Ophanim: Fear is basically useless, although the 5++ is a point in their favour.

Seraphim: You say "all imperial units", but really lets face it: you mean Space Marines. Sisters aren't Space Marines, and shouldn't follow the same rules. Besides, we already have rules for Seraphim without their Jump Packs in the codex. They're called Celestians.

I'd give the Extinguisher Scout myself - Fast would be more ideal, but apparently only Blood Angels are allowed that. The other option is to give them something like the old Immolator's ability that let it count as Fast, only for purposes of firing template weapons - so it doesn't get to move 18" or do a double run, or whatever it is Fast vehicles get these days, but it can fire its weapon AND more 12", which normally it wouldn't be able to.

Well, the Blade of Admonishment is a Power Sword that's been venerated and worshipped as a holy relic for four thousand years. Its owner took a lot of killing, and it decapitated a villainous champion of order.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/KaguraHakubi/IK%20and%2040K/Sororitas/image4228_zpsznozpqne.png

No Brazier of Holy Flame?

Not sure of the numbers of troops in the March of Redemption, 1+ squads of redemptionist, 0 and up of Repentia, Engines, and Martyrs. An upward number of 'nut jobs' seems ...... odd?

I like Miko's idea of the 'shield bearer' Celestines, keep the option for command squads only.

I was hoping the Adepta Sororitas would get an update in Kauyon. GW has a grand opportunity with the new campaign sets. I hope the next set is Sisters and Black Templars versus Slaaneshi Chaos Marines, and various Eldar factions interfere just to thwart Slaanesh. Plenty of traitor and Xeno witches to burn all around.

Personally, I think art SHOULD imitate life. GW could really, REALLY, be giving Word Bearers (or any other Traitor faction big on using Cultists) a huge push right now. Why not Iron Hands SMs? Them and Sisters battling a massive Chaos Cult on a desert Shrine World could be an epic campaign. A fluff book, Iron Hands formations (and maybe a character), AS updates and formations (like buy this and have all the rules to play Adepta Sororitas in 7E), and Chaos Space Marines updates focussing on the Word Bearers. I would buy that!

Also, on the subject of "suicide vests" it doesn't feel like a Sisters kind of tactic, now Chaos Cultists, all day. As for the political correctness/sensitivity aspect, IT'S JUST A GAME!!! I am a military veteran who fought in the Middle East, and I am not offended. I am glad it's December, and "the Year of Being Offended" is almost over. Political Correctness is just another form of bullying. If someone wants to change the world for the better, peacefully, there are a myriad of ways, but it takes more actual work than merely labelling speech or artwork as offensive.

I was hoping the Adepta Sororitas would get an update in Kauyon. GW has a grand opportunity with the new campaign sets. I hope the next set is Sisters and Black Templars versus Slaaneshi Chaos Marines, and with Harlequins interfering just to thwart Slaanesh. Plenty of traitor and Xeno witches to burn all around.

If this was ever to be made I would buy the feth out of it SO.DAMN.HARD.

Just getting the Sisters rules in print might actual make me come out from under my rock and acknowledge the existence of formations, detachments, and things outside my codex in general (I'm saying I would buy it, but what do you expect on a sisters of battle forum).

The suicide vests are not flavorful, and frankly I feel they are in bad taste.

Seriously, I hope 8th Ed is a Codex Marines, BA, DA, SW, Astra Militarium, Adeptus Mechanicus, and Inquisition (with a Ordo Hereticus section for Sisters, Ordo Malleus for Grey Knights, and Ordo Xenos with real rules for both Deathwatch Kill Teams AND Deathwatch Veterans for SM armies). Release all that, with generic formations and characters, then release campaign sets where certain Imperial forces are featured fighting certain Xenos/Traitors, with specific formations for each faction, and maybe even Characters. Like with Kauyon, have one book be campaign fluff/art, and the other being rules, except unlike Kauyon, just have that book be the Xenos codex. I know factions rarely played, like Dark Eldar, would get far more exposure.

Also, I am SICK AND TIRED of Xenos players streeeeeeetching their rules because they are the only ones with that Codex, and they whine about slowing the game down when you want to see the rule on the page as written. Since I own Kauyon now, I have the new Markerlight rules, and I know that Riptides CANNOT take the Hit & Run upgrade, and the Ghostkeel can only use its "force a unit to snapfire" ability once per game.

I was hoping the Adepta Sororitas would get an update in Kauyon. GW has a grand opportunity with the new campaign sets. I hope the next set is Sisters and Black Templars versus Slaaneshi Chaos Marines, and various Eldar factions interfere just to thwart Slaanesh. Plenty of traitor and Xeno witches to burn all around.

Personally, I think art SHOULD imitate life. GW could really, REALLY, be giving Word Bearers (or any other Traitor faction big on using Cultists) a huge push right now. Why not Iron Hands SMs? Them and Sisters battling a massive Chaos Cult on a desert Shrine World could be an epic campaign. A fluff book, Iron Hands formations (and maybe a character), AS updates and formations (like buy this and have all the rules to play Adepta Sororitas in 7E), and Chaos Space Marines updates focussing on the Word Bearers. I would buy that!

Also, on the subject of "suicide vests" it doesn't feel like a Sisters kind of tactic, now Chaos Cultists, all day. As for the political correctness/sensitivity aspect, IT'S JUST A GAME!!! I am a military veteran who fought in the Middle East, and I am not offended. I am glad it's December, and "the Year of Being Offended" is almost over. Political Correctness is just another form of bullying. If someone wants to change the world for the better, peacefully, there are a myriad of ways, but it takes more actual work than merely labelling speech or artwork as offensive.

2nd Ed guard. Absolution vest or so thing like that. 1 and 6 chance it didn't go off. If it didn't go off, you where absolved of all charges and let free, your still on a battlefield and probably up too your eyeballs in things/people that will kill you, but your absolved

Battle Sisters vs Word Bearers would be legit awesome.  The Battle of the Faith!  Should lead to some great fluff, what with the irony of Lorgar basically creating the Imperial Cult in the firstplace and the Sororitas being the biggest proponents of said faith.

Okay, thanks for the feedback, which became a little bit more about other people's codexes than I would like, buuuuuuuuuuuuut, I finished some updates to the Codex.

Thank you all again so much for all your input! With that input I made the following changes.

Changes:
- Fixed Priests and Confessors. (Warhymns now affects Shield of Faith saves)

- Cleared up some wording on Acts of Faith: "Imperator Praesidium" is now only usable by Palatines and/or Cannoness'.

- Changed the rules for Anointed Armour (Now counts as a Psyker Level. 1 when making Deny the Witch tests against Witchfire powers.)

- Changed Blade of Admonition to a Blessed blade but still does the same thing. 

- Gave the Extinguisher Scout

- Removed 'Rending' from the Extinguisher

- Increased the cost of the Extinguisher by 5 points.

- Added a 3rd option to the Command squad, the Dialogus gets a drop to having the same stats as a Hospitillar and the unit gained Legatine Superior (A close combat specialist)

- Dropped the point costs for Evicserators on the Repentia squad to 7. 

- Gave the Repentia's basic 'Chain Claymores' Rending.

- Changed the rules for Saint Praxedes (No more Preferred enemy but instead gains an additional Warlord trait from the 'Strategic' table.)

- Changed the transport capacity for the Immolator.

- Fixed the point costs on Flamers for Sisters squads.

- Redemptionist's gain access to Evicserators as well. 

- Changed 'Blessed ammo' to have 'Shred' instead of 'Ignores cover.''

- Reduced the Cost of the 'Book of Saint Lucius' to 5 pts but restricts the purchase of it to Veteran Superiors, Cannoness' and/or Palatines.

- Changed Abetha's weapons, dropped the Melee Relic and changed it to a regular weapons

Made numerous wording and formatting changes that clean up a few ugly areas and clarify some rules.

Everything else is mostly unchanged. Including Martyrs, they're not Adepta Sororitas, they're Ecclesiarchy, worked up into a frenzy by a local Preacher. Sisters may appreciate their loyalty and faith but will question their methods and not question their expendability in the eyes of the Emperor. 

Thanks again, the link to the original should still work and has been updated but I'll include the link here as well. Thank you all so much and let me know what you think

http://anjetto.deviantart.com/art/Adepta-Sororitas-7th-edition-temp-578433413?ga_submit_new=10%253A1450939300&ga_type=edit&ga_changes=1

Battle Sisters vs Word Bearers would be legit awesome.  The Battle of the Faith!  Should lead to some great fluff, what with the irony of Lorgar basically creating the Imperial Cult in the firstplace and the Sororitas being the biggest proponents of said faith.

Common misconception. Lorgar created the Lectitio Divinatus. The Lecititio Divinatus failed as a cult - by the end of the Heresy, nobody had even heard of it. The two 'finalists' for the mantle of 'official church of the Imperium' were the Temple of the Saviour Emperor based on Terra, and the Confederation of Light, based on Dimmamar. The Temple beat out the Confederation by a narrow margin and destroyed it (although it eventually rose again six thousand years later), and went on to become the Ecclesiarchy.

Basically, back in the Horus Heresy, before they were even an organisation, the Sisters were already kicking the Word Bearer's backsides ;)

Okay, thanks for the feedback, which became a little bit more about other people's codexes than I would like, buuuuuuuuuuuuut, I finished some updates to the Codex.

sounds good to me. I'll look properly when I have less of a headache.

Out of curiosity Furyou is there a source for that misconception? Just that GW/BL has been making changes because of the Horus Heresy series. The most recent that came up is:

The tyranids being attracted to this galaxy because of the destruction of Pharos instead of the Astronomicon(?) on earth. 

Wouldn't surprise me if this changes as well.

The Lecitio Divinatus was popularised and its origins explained in the first few Horus Heresy books, but the actual Ecclesiarchy fluff (like in our codices) talks about the wars - on Terra and elsewhere - after the Heresy as the various God Emperor cults fought over which would be the state religion.

Sources are Codex: Sisters of Battle (second edition), Dark Heresy: Disciples of the Dark Gods, and Codex: Witch Hunters. But that's just me being lazy and using the sources on Lexicanum - I don't remember off the top of my head what the cliffs' notes version in C:AS says.

Archived