Raven Guard 2nd Company "The Shadowborne" - WIP pics

Uginius

Greetings, protectors of the humankind all over the Imperium! I'm a tabletop gamer in South Korea, recently got into building some Raven Guard stuffs. Originally I was a xenos player, but I'd been always an enthusiast of RG for every aspect of them. I was expressing those enthusiasm only by playing RG marine in Deathwatch TRPG, but suddenly Kauyon supplement came out, and I was stunned by bunch of awesome formations, relics, etc.... So I immediately planned to build an army in accord with the chapter organization chart in the book.

3rd company, in command of that infamous Shadow Captain Shrike, was the most revealed company to me, so that it would be easier for me to build a fluffy army. But I wanted to make a captain free from equipment issues, so decided to handle with Aajz Solari. Only little was known of him, but his fluff information of the internet and his company nickname(The Shadowborne) got me crush onto it. Therefore I decided to made a Talon Strike Force, consists of his Pinion Battle-Demi Company and some other support things(I'm considering Bladewing, Raptor Wing, and Shadow Force). So It would be Aajz himself, 3 Tactical squads, an Assault squad, a Devastator squad, variable amount of Scout squads, plus something extra.

Because of my circumstantial restriction, which is a mandatory military service, my working speed on assembly and painting is seriously slow. Thus, I no only finished painting some of Tactical marines, Vanguards, and a prototype model of Aajz. Take a look.

gallery_87136_11564_3318.jpg

gallery_87136_11564_22212.jpg

gallery_87136_11564_31416.jpg

gallery_87136_11564_67679.jpg

First off, Vanguards. These models were assembled when I was first got into the RG, so mostly they are being a little bit reckless with their melee armaments, and some embellishments. I'm planning to build some more of them using forge world upgrade kits, so that they could be more like RG marines.

gallery_87136_11564_64571.jpg

Aajz here, is a little bit messy with unnecessary embellishments, mainly because I had no idea how to do a conversion with a Space marine model assembling this. That's why I call it a prototype, probably will be replaced with more exquisitely conversed model. I feel sorry for those RG bits used decorating him, but also I'm not satisfied with this crude form, so I will make a more dynamic and tall-shaped Aajz someday.

gallery_87136_11564_6846.jpg

gallery_87136_11564_16409.jpg

gallery_87136_11564_32060.jpg

gallery_87136_11564_5717.jpg

gallery_87136_11564_19939.jpg

Here are my first Tactical squad models. I will later on paint some squad numbers on their left kneepad, varying from 4 to 6. I mainly focused on practicing how to highlight black miniatures, and to freehand paint the RG symbol. I feel glad at the results got out, so I maybe will paint 20 more models quite in the same way I did.

Curruntly I'm assembling Dev, Assault and 2 more Tactical squad for TSF, so please look forward to my results later on. Happy wargaming!

Excellent work so far! I have problems with painting black on anything other than shoulder pad rims and boltgun casings. If you have the time, I'd really appreciate having some info on how you paint your black smile.png Then again, having done military service myself, I know only too well that having time isn't necessarily the main issue msn-wink.gif

These are great.

You know when you think you're doing well with your own Ravens, and then you see someone else's Ravens, and then you realise your own Ravens aren't quite what you thought they were, and the other guy's Ravens are just that notch above your own?

I do. Now.

I am a big fan. Shading. Black. White. All is far above standard. Only your bases are a bit....dull;)

Oh and 안영 smile.png (For non korean speakers: I greeted him. Means something like "hello")

안녕! I trying some basings too but, I think, I'm not used to it yet. Hope I can achieve some ornate basing skills someday.

Great job, what is your recipe for black?

Primed them with Chaos Black spray, and basecoated all over them with 1:1 mix of Abbadon Black + Eshin Grey, avoiding the recesses. I highlighted the raised areas starting from Eshin Grey to Dawnstone, diluting the pigment about 1:1 with water. Final highlights for edges I used Administratum Grey, also used for scratches.

Excellent work so far! I have problems with painting black on anything other than shoulder pad rims and boltgun casings. If you have the time, I'd really appreciate having some info on how you paint your black smile.png Then again, having done military service myself, I know only too well that having time isn't necessarily the main issue msn-wink.gif

Recipe is the same as above, but the point is diluting the paint to the level of a little bit thin condensed milk, and using the brush to draw lines countless times to get smooth transition between the layers.

These are great.

You know when you think you're doing well with your own Ravens, and then you see someone else's Ravens, and then you realise your own Ravens aren't quite what you thought they were, and the other guy's Ravens are just that notch above your own?

I do. Now.

Well, I saw your Iron Shroud WIP posts, and those could be very useful references for me when painting my vehicles. Those ravenwings painted on the Stormtalon's wings are awesome!

gallery_87136_11564_143547.jpg

gallery_87136_11564_15690.jpg

gallery_87136_11564_112259.jpg

gallery_87136_11564_21283.jpg

Assembled and painted some Assault marines. Awesome sculpts, feel sad that Vanguard Vets didn't get such dynamic poses.

* There were some issues in image links when I last uploaded this post, however they now work normally.

• 1 month later...

gallery_87136_11564_36452.jpg

Finally got the Blood Angels Chaplain kit, for my new captain and chaplain model. I'll use left leg part of it for captain, and rest of it for chaplain.

gallery_87136_11564_101022.jpg

Painting some Scout bikes nowdays, which will be used for locator beacon shuttle and Outflank conveyers(thanks for the Wayfinders SR of the Pinion formation). Sadly, it is a drudgery for me to paint these flat, non-infantry models, so they might be painted only as the tabletop standard.

gallery_87136_11564_14306.jpg

...And a lot more to go.

They are a bit too much on the grey side for my taste, but the precision with which you yield your brush is quite astounding. Great work; I look forward to seeing more. thumbsup.gif

Thanks! Well, what you're saying is totally true, because I'm trying to paint those models dirty-greyish, rather than ordinary black.

yay updates! love the progress you've made on these. I missed the last update you did, the assault marine is very nice (albeit a little greyer than some of your others?)

Scout bikes are looking good

Thanks! Think I'm going to keep practicing how to get certain balance between grey and black shade.

Look Great to me, by the way I like the Gray .

Thank you! Glad you like it.

I love how you shaded the black and the white. Good freehand too.

It was frustrating to paint white on black, and then trimming them again with black... By the way thank you for recognizing it!

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived