Cadmus Tyro Xth and XXth blog: Terror Squad

Cadmus Tyro

Greetings all, welcome to my XXth legion WIP log. With the release of Betrayal of Calth I have decided to start up a second legion to face off against my iron hands.

The alpha legion bring a whole host of new hobby and gaming challenges. Hopefully this blog will keep me motivated!

Edited by Cadmus Tyro

To start with I will be working on the following list (using the BoC contents mainly):

HQ

Autilon Skorr - 125

Troops

Legion tactical squad (x15 marines), power sword = 210

Legion tactical squad (x15 marines), power glove, additional close combat weapon = 245

Legion tactical support (x5 marines), x5 plasma guns, rhino = 210

Elites

Cataphractii terminator squad (x5 marines), x5 combi weapons, x4 power gloves, X1 chainfist = 240

Contemptor dreadnought, plasma blaster, kheres assault cannon = 210

Fast attack

Legion seeker squad (x5 marines), x4 combi weapons, power sword, rhino = 260

Total = 1500

I enjoy the challenge of some of the poor sculpts presented by GW and the less popular kits (e.g. Tartaros terminators). I immediately started work on the plastic contemptor a few weeks ago in an attempt to repose it:

gallery_87021_11487_287838.jpg

gallery_87021_11487_677689.jpg

gallery_87021_11487_186785.jpg

Apologies to those who have already seen this, I wanted to include it here for completions sake.

Any ideas on a name for this chap?

So, quick simple leg re-position tutorial. When posing a marine I try and ensure one foot is facing the direction of their aim, it makes for a more natural pose. I wanted the tactical sergeant to be aiming to the right, there are no leg poses that allow this on the sprue.

Leg piece number "9" is probably the best set to extend the leg out to the right:

gallery_87021_11487_92788.jpg

gallery_87021_11487_406237.jpg

gallery_87021_11487_53564.jpg

So the opening on the right leg allows you to open up the aiming arm.

gallery_87021_11487_656849.jpg

Sergeant finished:

gallery_87021_11487_22303.jpg

gallery_87021_11487_35625.jpg

Cheers hydra, yeah but it's worth the effort in the end! I'm planning to airbrush a metallic blue, but i want to build everything first and paint the army together. Not sure whether to go with the forge world scheme, betrayer41 does a great pale blue/purple which seems closer to the artwork.

Thanks for the encouragement Flint, and thanks for all the likes/comments so far everyone! It's keeping me going.

I wanted to take a poll of opinion about a few details. Is it worth adding chain to each weapon to add character? I see the current tactical squad as more combat orientated, so not your typical sneaky alpha legion team. Hard to infiltrate silently with chains attached to your weapons though!

Secondly, should I add some 'reflex scopes' from anvil industry to both tactical squads? (http://www.anvilindustry.co.uk/The-Armoury/Ammo/Reflex-Sights)

Appreciate your input!