Cadmus Tyro Xth and XXth blog: Terror Squad

Cadmus Tyro

• 3 months later...

Well,

I can’t quite believe it’s been three months since my last post, I’ve not been idle in that time. The iron tenth have been on campaign to a local tournament and won best painted, whilst Ferrum Rex (http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/317342-cadmus-tyro-xth-and-xxth-blog-recon-marines-wip/page-20) reaped a heavy toll on the traitors in game! (I love the glaive)

I’ve managed to work on a selection of units, so expect a few posts to get this blog updated, first up, recon marines!

gallery_87021_11487_422020.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_497260.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_842144.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_190465.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_367391.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_320995.jpeg

And some gratuitous close ups....

gallery_87021_11487_51090.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_247672.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_258652.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_53326.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_23553.jpeg

What do you think of my Effrit stealth squads?

Cadmus

Thanks everyone, glad you like them! They’ve taken quite a lot of my hobby time recently, so it’s great to get them off the bench and into the cabinet.

Next up, a Deimos Vindicator for the iron tenth! I painted this guy up for the tournament, it was an eBay bargain. Forming a squadron with my old faithful mk1 vindicator, they did a number on the traitors. Arriving via outflank with machine spirit is just the business! They managed to erase a word bearers full unit of ashen circle with attached HQs in the final game! Brutal, but their weak side armour makes them vulnerable. I’m trying to decide whether they should be in different squadrons, it creates more targets for the enemy but they may not have such an impact individually.

What do you think:

gallery_87021_11487_255677.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_541426.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_242009.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_69863.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_1041654.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_1125276.jpeg

I’ve always wanted a Deimos vindicator, it’s a lovely kit, think I need a second one so I can retire my Mk1 vindicator.

Cadmus

Wow, that’s quite the upgrade kit on that vindicator. The weathering looks great, and dare I say, envy worthy. The scouts also look great, but I must say, the heads make me feel uneasy. Not in a bad way, just a “I’m not going to turn my backs on them” way. It’s probably because they’re bald. Lol

Good stuff!

Great to see the vindicator finished Cadmus, although it makes your MKI vindicator look like a vindicator junior!

I'd keep them as a squadron if outflanking, more impact and more room for other heavy support choices. I don't think the squadron factor is a problem, once they've driven on from the flanks if your opponent wants to kill them then it's probably going to happen whether they're in a unit or not.

Wow, that’s quite the upgrade kit on that vindicator. The weathering looks great, and dare I say, envy worthy. The scouts also look great, but I must say, the heads make me feel uneasy. Not in a bad way, just a “I’m not going to turn my backs on them” way. It’s probably because they’re bald. Lol

Good stuff!

Peladophobia, it’s a real problem, the XXth legion use it to their advantage! Thanks for the comments War Angel, I think it’s fitting that they creep you out a little.

Brilliant! Deimos Vindicator is such a beautiful model (I am painting one myself and mine has exact same white stripe on front shield :D ). I love the weathering and something that I always struggle: placement and balance of white accents. Spot on!

Thanks Stix, I think I may have taken inspiration from your vindicator, the white stripe and dozer add great balance and the opportunity for some easy weathering!

I don't know much about rules and strategy but DANG does that vindicator look the business. And good to hear they excel at the murder business too :)

Thanks mate, they are good for business and two together definitely have more impact.

Great to see the vindicator finished Cadmus, although it makes your MKI vindicator look like a vindicator junior!

I'd keep them as a squadron if outflanking, more impact and more room for other heavy support choices. I don't think the squadron factor is a problem, once they've driven on from the flanks if your opponent wants to kill them then it's probably going to happen whether they're in a unit or not.

I think you’re right mate, I really want a second Deimos vindicator!

Cadmus

Evening all,

Still trying to get this blog up to date, next up, a third castellax to add to my Xth legion! I realised after a few games that siege wreckers are a real must, especially in ZM.

gallery_87021_11487_494903.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_170410.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_1136629.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_375255.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_852522.jpeg

Here’s a shot of him with his brothers (you might remember the from earlier in the blog, although one has a siege wrecker now!

gallery_87021_11487_854345.jpeg

Is it worth putting up a post about making siege wreckers for castellax?

Cadmus

Thanks chaps, well, as it’s a WIP blog, here’s a few siege wrecker build shots:

Bits you will need: centurion siege drill, some form of cable, chainfist motor and some brass rod.

1. Saw off the tip of the castellax shock charger:

gallery_87021_11487_279313.jpeg

2. Cut down the flamer and drill a hole for the brass rod:

gallery_87021_11487_73100.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_129673.jpeg

3. Cut down the motor from the tartaros chainfist:

gallery_87021_11487_269746.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_179033.jpeg

4. Glue the brass rod into the predrilled arm, glue the centurion drill onto the flat surface of the shock charger:

gallery_87021_11487_28282.jpeg

Just add the chainfist motor and cable to give a bit more detail.

Think I must have deleted a few of my WIP photos, what do you think?

Cadmus

Nice little conversion. And lovely looking robots.

So happy they added Praevians to legion lists. I LOVE the Castellax models. Just wish you could squeeze in a Thanatar as well lol.

Thanks SickSix, the castellax models do have an old school charm to them, they’ve grown on me over the years. Allying in a mechanicum cybernetica detachment is probably the easiest way to get a Thanatar into your list. A magos Dominus is cheaper than a praevian (who is a support character), you take the castellax as compulsory troops and a thanatar in the HS slot. You lose the potential for preferred enemy and the legion inductee rule, in exchange for +1 initiative and access to cyberthergy powers.

Also, playing iron hands gives you access to any battle automata (no thanatars sadly, but domitar, castellax, vorax, artellax are all fair game) if you use the “head of the gorgon” RoW. Such an awesome RoW.

Cadmus

Nice to see the 3rd castellax finished, they look great together. 

The recon marines have come together so well.

Agreed on using cybernetica as allies, I am thinking of doing the same when my mechanicum army gets big enough; main force of Ordo Reductor with a cybernetica allied detachment.

Thanks for the tutorial for a siege wreaker! I am building up my AL to be HH in aesthetics but will be playing with 40k rules. I really want some automata to represent obliterators and even mutilators so anything to customize them up is appreciated!

The finished rapier battery is also looking ace!