Cadmus Tyro Xth and XXth blog: Terror Squad

Cadmus Tyro

Looking good to go! Has you used this unit on the table top?

Cheers mate, only in a friendly game when they were base coated. I refuse to use phosphex rounds, but they are pretty brutal at antitank, each one putting out 4 str8 hits with re-rolls to pen. Plus they can infiltrate (go figure..), got some lucky rolls and took three hull points of a spartan with one unit.

Cadmus

I always thought about getting them for 7th but never got around to it. I was looking for smaller "artillery" units for Iron Warriors and a portable cannon on treads looked righteous. I want to give them a shot now, pun intended, and I want to copy you and give them XX colors.

Evening all,

I thought I would introduce you to Ancient Brother Ixion, my first contemptor for the iron Xth. I purchased this chap when the dual kheres dreadnought was all the rage and flyer spam was starting to be a problem in 40k. Twin multimeltas and a cyclone worked well for a time, but then the glorious heresy rules hit. Armoured ceramite and the downgrade from cyclone to havoc launcher neutered the contemptors loadout significantly.

Here he is in his current glory:

gallery_87021_11487_696996.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_743531.jpeg

The plan is replace the second multimelta with a fist + graviton gun. Hopefully that will complement the second contemptor and he will see more table time. He also needs rebasing and weathering!

Cadmus

• 2 weeks later...

Evening all,

Long time no post!

He looks good! I am dying to get my hands on a legion contemptor for my army as I like the look and presence these guys have.

Are those kill markers on his left shoulder?

I can’t recommend the contemptor kit enough, there are so many options and you can get some really dynamic poses with them. Although, the leviathan isn’t much more ;)

I suppose they are kill markings, as you can tell he’s not done too well since heresy broke out! Perhaps his new weapon loadout will be more effective at ending traitor scum....

The legion specific contemptors do knock things up a notch. The normal contemptors can look grand as well but need some clever conversion work.

The legion specific contemptors are great, but I think the original FW contemptor has a certain appeal, it’s plain appearance just screams Horus Heresy to me. Apart from the purity seals and imperial eagle......

So, work on Ixion continues, but I’ve also been working on my final alpha legion veteran tactical squad. I’ve swapped out their plasma guns for heavy bolters, sniper veterans are just too good, and I love the look of heavy bolters. The squad has more of a combat/advancing stance:

gallery_87021_11487_1108890.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_361355.jpeg

Still needs a fair bit of work, what do you think?

Cadmus

Beautiful work brother, absolutely beautiful. The metallic blue on your AL minis is nothing short of fantastic:tu:

Thanks for the complement Brother Lunkhead! I’m torn between expanding the XXth in the future or starting a new project. What are you working on?

The contemptor looks solid! I actually did pick one up as a rescue project from eBay but I am eyeing a leviathan.

The veteran squad also looks awesome! You have an awesome range of motion in them. I am going to be taking some notes from you on that. I have plenty of standing legs like the BaC mkIV ones and was worried they would look static but you’ve shown me otherwise!

*also, I think the artificer armor on the sarge is fantastic. Didn't really think one of those torsos would look good on too many guys out side the IX (and maybe the IV) legion. Yet it looks great on a XX sergeant. 

Edited by hushrong

The contemptor looks solid! I actually did pick one up as a rescue project from eBay but I am eyeing a leviathan.

The veteran squad also looks awesome! You have an awesome range of motion in them. I am going to be taking some notes from you on that. I have plenty of standing legs like the BaC mkIV ones and was worried they would look static but you’ve shown me otherwise!

*also, I think the artificer armor on the sarge is fantastic. Didn't really think one of those torsos would look good on too many guys out side the IX (and maybe the IV) legion. Yet it looks great on a XX sergeant.

Cheers Hush, looking forward to seeing that contemptor come to life at some point. Yeah they really dropped the ball with the plastic Mk4 leg poses. They take a lot of repositioning to get anything resembling motion! Good luck. Thanks for the support bud!

Cadmus

Ixion looks superb with the finished base and paintjob! I love the weathering worn edges on his armor. That is detailing I usually skip out on but man does it add a lot to a miniature.

Cheers Hush, looking forward to seeing that contemptor come to life at some point. Yeah they really dropped the ball with the plastic Mk4 leg poses. They take a lot of repositioning to get anything resembling motion! Good luck. Thanks for the support bud!

Cadmus

He's nothing fancy. I was just lucky to get him for cheap and breath some new life into him. I just hope my paint job can do him justice.

I used to be be enamored with MKIV armor when Vraks came out and there were a ton of Red Scorpions that used only MKIV. As for the legs they aren't terrible but I will be honest the plastic MKIII are my favorite set. Sadly no running/jogging legs but I think they are the bees knees. DId you reposition some of the MKIV legs in that veteran squad?

• 2 weeks later...

Ixion looks superb with the finished base and paintjob! I love the weathering worn edges on his armor. That is detailing I usually skip out on but man does it add a lot to a miniature.

Cadmus

He's nothing fancy. I was just lucky to get him for cheap and breath some new life into him. I just hope my paint job can do him justice.

I used to be be enamored with MKIV armor when Vraks came out and there were a ton of Red Scorpions that used only MKIV. As for the legs they aren't terrible but I will be honest the plastic MKIII are my favorite set. Sadly no running/jogging legs but I think they are the bees knees. DId you reposition some of the MKIV legs in that veteran squad?

Yeah I think adding scratches and fading to armour really helps, especially with black paint schemes.

I was a little disappointed with the plastic Mk4 legs, so most of my tactical squads have been repositioned into more dynamic stances. I think the above squad had several conversions, with a couple in a running pose (well as close as I could get to a running pose). You’ll probably find them towards the start of the blog in their bare plastic state.

I’m working on some plastic Mk3 at the moment, it’s a much nicer kit....