Cadmus Tyro Xth and XXth blog: Terror Squad

Cadmus Tyro

The seekers look great. Fantastic conversions, paint jobs, and weathering! And maybe its Omegon looks spectacular with the additional converting he's received.

Cheers Husrong, I’m glad to get them finally finished (they took and age to build). I’m tempted to build a list around the recon company RoW. Probably do a few recon squads in scout armour with these heads from puppets war:

gallery_87021_11487_13622.jpeg

What do you think? I’ve ordered a few to get an idea of scale and ordered sergeant telion to make another vigilator in scout armour!

Really cracking stuff, they match the source image perfectly. The ruby red of the slung scanner looks really good as a spot colour.

Thanks mate, yeah I toyed with the idea of a more complimentary lens colour but I think the red works and stands out really well in lower lighting.

Well, it’s time for the iron Xth to receive some reinforcements, first up, Praevian Gohran Leyrr:

gallery_87021_11487_525270.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_50455.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_220657.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_188735.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_28029.jpeg

Here’s a link to some earlier fluff I wrote for him: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/317342-cadmus-tyro-xth-and-xxth-blog-seekers-and-vigilator-done/page-7

For those who may be interested, his left arm was converted from a Mk7 arm using the vambrace from the plastic mk3 kit. I might use it as a cheap way to make MK3 assault arms in the future. I think it works?

gallery_87021_11487_1054.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_20555.jpeg

Thanks for looking!

Cadmus

Edited by Cadmus Tyro

That praetor looking good already, I have been off the hobby over the summer as I try to make the best of the rare uk sun. Back now and feck me that assault squad was amazing. 10/10 will be imitating that for my Alphas.

Cheers Trixie, welcome back!

I didn't even realise that Gohran's arm was a conversion until you explained it! That's an interesting torso, I don't recognise it? The bionic leg also looks good,

The torso is from the IH deathwatch character, the chap reloading his combi melta. I’ve had him in mind for a conversion for a while !

Leyrr looks great! He's based on that named Deathwatch veteran, isn't he?

Yup

just want to point out that MK7 arms are actually kosher for heresy stuff, as autilon skorrs pointy stick arm is actually a MK7 arm.

It’s all personal choice, I use Mk7 arms extensively on the plastic MK4 marines. But I prefer the bulkier MK3 arms on MK3 armour, IMHO it just looks odd otherwise. So for me, the issue is sourcing some cheap MK3 arms hence the conversion. The point of posting wasn’t to create a discussion around what is right or wrong, merely to share my limited model making experience.

Good spot on the Skorr arm BTW! Never even noticed that one!

Cadmus

Edited by Cadmus Tyro

• 3 weeks later...

Welcome back B&C! Thanks to the mods for all their hard work!

I’ve been busy building some Gorgons:

gallery_87021_11487_154781.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_492511.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_170671.jpeg

I wanted the squad to have an anti-tank role to make use of the iconic grav gun. The chain fists were converted from resin Tartaros parts, grafted onto the left upper Gorgon arms.

The kit is a lovely sculpt. Couple of pointers though, firstly, the heads need a lot of trimming down if you want any movement in the head pose. I just shaved down the back of the helmet until I was happy with the fit. Secondly, some of the arm poses are odd, you really have to think about the whole pose of the model and which combinations work best. Thirdly, you will have issues with the shoulder pads. I had to heat and re mould them to get them to fit, plus once they were on, I had to drop or heighten the arm positions to keep the line of the torso and the shoulder.

What do you reckon?

Cadmus

Killer posing, one of my favorite kits!

Cheers, I love what you’ve done with your truescale Gorgons! They are a great kit!

That's one hell of a pose with the graviton gun.

I've never been a huge fan of the Gorgon models, but seeing yours really puts them in a new light for me.

I think there’s lots of options for putting subtle movement into each pose. I recommend them for any IH player! Just need to get them on the table.

Great to see your back to the Xth, they're woefully under represented on B&C and yours are some of the best!

Cheers duskraider! Ive still got a few things on the work bench for the Xth. I’ll hopefully get some paint on the gorgons this week!

Slight distraction over the last few days, I’ve always wanted to build a recon company in scout armour for my alphas and I think I’ve finally found the right heads:

gallery_87021_11487_254324.jpeg

Any suggestions on scopes everyone? I was thinking of the reflex scopes from anvil, but I can’t decide!

Cadmus

Looking great, care to tell us where the heads are from?

From Puppets War.

For the scopes I think the sniper scopes from Anvil would work well and fit theme:

http://anvilindustry.co.uk/The-Armoury/Ammo/Sniper-Scopes

Edited by Thousand Eyes

Those heads work really well, nice work lengthening the barrels too. I'd agree with using Anvil scopes.

Thanks mate, there’s just too much choice with anvil!

Nice Praevian. Glad to see the Xth making a return tho the Alphas are looking amazing too

Cheers! For the iron Xth!

Looking great, care to tell us where the heads are from?

From Puppets War.

For the scopes I think the sniper scopes from Anvil would work well and fit theme:

http://anvilindustry.co.uk/The-Armoury/Ammo/Sniper-Scopes

Spot on. I’ve actually used all types of anvil scopes for my alpha infantry, the sniper scopes are quite thin, so I’m not sure they would look right on bulkier phobos pattern bolters. They work well on Tigrus bolters though!

So the anvil choices -

1) the reflex scope:

gallery_87021_11487_33262.jpeg

Pros - fits the theme of a short range support squad, rather than a sniper team, which is how I will use the recon teams in game.

Will also fit behind the iron sight well

Cons - small size, so might not balance the larger bolter and extended barrel.

2) thermal scope:

gallery_87021_11487_6405.jpeg

Pros - interesting design, bulky so will balance the bolter size well, will fit well in the space behind the iron sight. Concept fits well with a close support recon team.

Cons - not currently in stock!

3) tactical scope:

gallery_87021_11487_1912.jpeg

Pros - slightly larger so may balance the weapon a little better. Looks good with “PEQ range finder” on the side of the weapon.

Cons - hard to find the right place on the bolter to fit the sight, doesn’t quite fit the role of a “close support” unit.

Your thoughts would be much appreciated! Cast your lots!

Cadmus