Cadmus Tyro Xth and XXth blog: Terror Squad

Cadmus Tyro

Well, the Glaive is complete. First up, a quick sponson tutorial. The sponsons are the same as those on the spartan and have many of the same components of all the forgeworld sponsons.

Step 1: take the following pieces:

gallery_87021_11487_252867.jpeg

Apply glue to the top of the second piece in the picture. Push this through the first and then attach the third piece in the picture.

Be careful where you get the glue, keep moving the piece to make sure any excess glue does not set the piece together.

Step 2: apply a small piece of blue tac as shown below. The idea of the blue tac is to give more resistance when the sponson moves. If you don’t do this, the weight of the quad lascannons won’t allow it to stay upright.

gallery_87021_11487_144515.jpeg

The key is to use just enough blue tac to provide resistance but not to much that the sponson housing sits proud of the side of the tank.

Step 3: apply glue to the two small holes and the very top and bottom of the sponson recess on the side of the tank. Again, avoid getting glue on the inside piece as this will prevent it from moving.

Attach the piece to the hull:

gallery_87021_11487_317029.jpeg

Again, keep it moving as the glue dries.

Step 4: Glue the lascannons together!

gallery_87021_11487_585891.jpeg

Step 5: the lascannons are held in place at the top (by the sensor) and bottom (by the wire/circular piece). I would attach the bottom piece first as this tends to offer more stability to the structure.

gallery_87021_11487_233691.jpeg

Use a small amount of glue just in the recess of the quad lascannon.

Step 6: add the sensor to lock the lascannons in position.

gallery_87021_11487_212509.jpeg

Step 7: pay careful attention to this piece:

gallery_87021_11487_120397.jpeg

The square part needs to be glued to the arm holding the lascannons, the circular piece articulates with the lascannons - DO NOT glue the circular piece.

Finally add the last wire to connect the second set of lascannons:

gallery_87021_11487_115576.jpeg

That’s the Glaive fully built! Just need to get some paint on it!

gallery_87021_11487_416653.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_593437.jpeg

C&C welcome.

Cadmus

That beast is pure eye candy and I know it is only going to get better when it gets some paint on it.

Happy to see progress on that beast!

It's also very awesome you posted those pictures with tips. There have been a fair few times where I would be building something, hit a wall, and struggle to look up how someone else did it. 

And for some reason I want a glaive too...

Cheers mate, hope someone finds it useful! Have you made any progress with your alphas recently?

No progress has been made. I heard the call of the Warmaster and jumped ship to the Black Legion...or maybe infiltrated their ranks? :whistling:

I still have them and seeing updated Heralds of Ruin rules I'm thinking about bringing them out for that.

• 2 weeks later...

Evening guys,

Thought I would share a few WIP shots of he Glaive. The airbrush stages are done and I’m starting to add decals. It’s still early days!

gallery_87021_11487_258674.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_552787.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_637541.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_943991.jpeg

What do you think to the base colours?

I was toying with the idea of a larger iron hands symbol on the doors, the problem is the next size up is a little too large (see FW Glaive) and I think it looks a little odd. Does the smaller hand work?

Cadmus

I think it looks good! The base colors are nice & neat. I'm guessing it will be seeing some fantastic weathering soon?

I think the decal looks great. Something in me says "go bigger, show that puppy off" but I think that's something an Emperor's Children would do. I think the Iron Hands would be more economical with their detailing than excessive.

I think the size of the Iron Hands decals on the doors is the right size. I wouldn't recommend making them larger. You're off to a good start on your tank; I look forward to seeing the finished model.

Cheers mate still a long way to go!

I think it looks good! The base colors are nice & neat. I'm guessing it will be seeing some fantastic weathering soon?

I think the decal looks great. Something in me says "go bigger, show that puppy off" but I think that's something an Emperor's Children would do. I think the Iron Hands would be more economical with their detailing than excessive.

Thanks, I’m not sure I can face the decal work on the larger decal! I think I’ll stick with what I have!

Looks great, but you missed a bit... Centre left bottom of turret.

My friend, I’ve missed a lot of areas, it’s nowhere near done. It’s time to get the brush out. The area of brass on the rear of the turret needs to be worked back to black. There’s a lot of detailing and weathering to go!

Thanks for stopping by guys!

Cadmus

Hi everyone,

Small update, I’m starting to detail the turret of the Glaive and I was experimenting with different colours for the piping etc. I’ve always kept a fairly muted palate for my iron hands:

gallery_87021_11487_479847.jpeg

I’m just not sure on the copper colour of the one pipe, I feel it distracts a little from the Carronade. What do you guys reckon?

Cadmus

Add some small white dots. Explain the crew make kills with dots, and ten kills are marked with a skull instead of ten individual dots. That increases the kill count to 320+.

I was thinking exactly that, there’s a half skull as one of the markers, so my theory was the crew start to paint the skull with each kil land complete one every ten. I’m thinking of some fluff to justify it as well (which I will write when the models complete), essentially the Glaive was captured and repourposed by the Xth and towards the end of the Heresy the whole right side of the hull was covered in kill markings. So the current pic would be just after the Xths requisition. I’ll put some more thought into it at some point, but rule of cool for now!

Cadmus

I love the idea where the skulls are a combined tally. Another idea is that each skull represents a super-heavy/lord of war kill.  A baneblade, warhound titan, wraithknight, etc. Maybe crude markings like a red 'x' on the skull's forehead representing a traitor super heavy, a black ring for xenos, or three vertical lines representing a god machine for example.

This beauty is on another level so killing a predator isn't something they boast when they could simply crush those stc's with their sheer weight.

Just an idea I'd like to throw in there.

• 3 weeks later...

gallery_87021_11487_1007968.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_800198.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_285115.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_169405.jpeg

Ferrum Rex

Shortly after the massacre at Istvaan V, unified elements of the Xth legion engaged in lightning raids across the Segmentum Obscuris. Their guerrilla tactics were largely successful, the thorn ever in the side of the traitors advance towards Terra.

With significantly depleted armouries and the inability to resupply and rearm, the shattered legions heavily relied on the spoils of war. Ferrum Rex was liberated during a daring raid on a Sons of Horus flotilla. Found deep within the supply holds of the strike cruiser “Son of sorrow”, the Glaive special weapons tank “Ignis Rex” was found, dressed in the sea green livery of the warmasters own legion.

The vehicle was reclaimed by Hector Alvarian, a spearhead centurion of clan Vurgaan. For months Hector wrestled with the machine spirit of the tank, eventually bending it to his unbreakable iron will. Painted to reflect its new allegiance and master, it was renamed “Ferrum Rex”.

gallery_87021_11487_555644.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_211686.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_160520.jpeg

Pic capture depicts Ferrum Rex just after it’s second engagement with traitor astartes forces. It quickly became apparent that the kill mark system, seen in the right lower part of the tanks turret, woefully underestimated the tanks destructive spirit. With each skull representing ten legionary kills, we can see “Ferrum Rex” ended the lives of over three hundred traitors in two engagements. Towards the end of the Heresy the whole right flank of the tank was emblazoned with skull kill markings.

Ferrum Rex met its end in defence of the imperial palace during the siege of Terra. It’s chassis was recovered by the Xth legion. Unable replace the delicate volkite weaponry Ferrum Rex was retrofitted to carry an accelerator cannon, it still finds service today as a Fellblade support tank under the banner of clan Vurgaan.

gallery_87021_11487_594230.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_515853.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_198897.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_641059.jpeg

“The king is dead! Long live the king!”

Spearhead Centurion Hector Alvarian, naming ceremony of “Ferrum Rex”

She’s a beauty! I love the fluff behind her and all the extra detail on the tank is just icing on the cake.

Cheers Hush, I’ve really enjoyed the project, now I need to get some games in with it!

Looks great!  Great attention to detail--even transfers on the fuel barrels! :tu:

See you went with Clan Vurgan.  I just started putting some paint to two Vurgan vehicles today!  What white did you use for the accents?

Thanks Ovidius, I was in two minds about the imperial eagles on the barrels, I think they fit with my image of the munitorium. The white is just Vallejo Dead White game air, air brushed over Vallejo grey primer. I find the less you do with white the better sometimes!

Excellent work on both the tank, and its history.

Thanks mate, and thanks for the input on the kill marking ideas.

Really good job, the weathering is well applied and a realistic level and placement.

Cheers Pearson, I’m not fully happy with the Carronade barrel weathering so I might go back and put a little more work into it.

Thanks for the comments and the likes everyone!

Cadmus

• 2 weeks later...

Evening all,

Hope you’re all doing well. I thought I would share a few small projects before I invest in countless Deimos rhinos!

A few Mk4/6 tactical marines, this will allow me to use my veteran squads as standard tactical squads for a coils list:

gallery_87021_11487_687156.jpeg

Managed to pick this handsome chap (original FW) up on eBay for a reasonable price:

gallery_87021_11487_287805.jpeg

Finally, after a number of games with my cataphractii terminators, I decided they weren’t cutting it! I also need a “coils of the hydra” choice:

gallery_87021_11487_586224.jpeg

Rearming in progress....

Cadmus