Cadmus Tyro Xth and XXth blog: Terror Squad

Cadmus Tyro

Thanks for all the comments, views and likes everyone! The 15 seekers are coming together nicely so I’m not far off posting a pic of them fully built. I’m looking forwards to experimenting again with a blue/black scheme. But they need someone to lead them right?

This chap has been on the work bench for a while, whilst I love the primaris marine asthetic I also hate how they have the potential to invalidate my army because of the scale. I was given a free primaris marine at my local store earlier in the year and decided to make him into a vigilator. The vision is that he is actually Omegon (which helps justify the advanced armour and scale):

gallery_87021_11487_24330.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_109111.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_500266.jpeg

What do you reckon folks?

Cadmus

those assault marines are GORGEOUS!!! Those shields look so appropriate and fantastic!

The seekers are also fantastic! The cloaks and added sensors look brilliant. Speaking of brilliant so is your vigilator/Omegon! Every detail on that mini is superb! The added sensors, the cabling from powerpack to his rifle, the cloak, and what I think are guardsmen shoulder pads for his knees (is that right?). That is a seriously splendid mini loaded with details!

Continuing to bring out some good stuff with those Seekers, loving all that extra gear they're lugging. Nice bash with Omegon/Vigilator.

Cheers Pearson, having faced custodes I found seekers very effective. Hopefully fifteen will be enough?

those assault marines are GORGEOUS!!! Those shields look so appropriate and fantastic!

The seekers are also fantastic! The cloaks and added sensors look brilliant. Speaking of brilliant so is your vigilator/Omegon! Every detail on that mini is superb! The added sensors, the cabling from powerpack to his rifle, the cloak, and what I think are guardsmen shoulder pads for his knees (is that right?). That is a seriously splendid mini loaded with details!

Thanks for the encouragement Hush, really pleased with the asault squad and their performance on the table. The vigilator has so many bits on him, the cabling was from the leviathan cc weapon, backpack from the rapier crew, crest from command squad, antennae from a mk1 rhino, cabling from an old elder power glove, knee pads were from the imperial guard bane blade kit (I don’t like primaris knee pads), that’s most of it lol!

Your models are amazing and I really like the Omegon, he would also make a fantastic Exodus model ;)

Cheers Dantay, the helmet is modelled on the exodus artwork. I always thought exodus was supposed to be Omegon....I just wish his rules weren’t so lacklustre.

Sad news chaps, my airbrush seems to be malfunctioning! I was hoping to get these dudes done this week. Keep getting air back into the cup. I have a feeling it’s the nozzle as there is a slight irregularity to it when I run my finger over it. It seems worn on one side too, it’s certainly not clogged with paint! Any ideas B&C?

Cadmus

Edited by Cadmus Tyro

When you say nozzle, do you mean the crown on the end?

Take it off and spray. The needle will be visible, so take extra extra care with the airbrush not to knock or damage the tip.

I mean the brass nozzle when you strip down the brush. I strip it down to clean it after every session, the chrome tips seem fine to me. I’ve only ever got air in the cup when there’s a significant clog (which clears when you strip it down and clean it) but the air coming into the cup seems much higher in pressure than usual. I’ve cleaned it multiple times without success!

When you say nozzle, do you mean the crown on the end?

Take it off and spray. The needle will be visible, so take extra extra care with the airbrush not to knock or damage the tip.

I mean the brass nozzle when you strip down the brush. I strip it down to clean it after every session, the chrome tips seem fine to me. I’ve only ever got air in the cup when there’s a significant clog (which clears when you strip it down and clean it) but the air coming into the cup seems much higher in pressure than usual. I’ve cleaned it multiple times without success!

Okay, I think I know what you mean. I had the devils own time with something similar. Found the nozzle had accumulated a layer of paint on the inner edge, so when i put the needle back in, it was not going as far as it should, the paint was then building up on the old plug and not coming out. I ran cleaner through, which sprayed fine, as did water, soaked it in soapy water etc and had no effect. Paint went through for several seconds then stopped or only came out in tiny bursts as I would release the trigger 

Was not as severe as the issue you have, as I only got bubbles when I physically blocked the nozzle up.

The tiny brushes were not getting the little lumps out, in the end I had to use an old needle and just use it to lightly scrape out the gunk in the nozzle

Since sorting that I have had issues with the paint blocking in the crown, so I removed that and now spraying has become fun again.

Thanks mate, ive loosened off the nozzle a fraction I removed it for cleaning a feeble months ago. It seems to have resolved the issue for now!

Incredibly consistent work. That assault squad was so well executed. Your metalic blues are spot on. Great work on Alpharius too. The seekers are coming together a treat I look forward to seeing how they end up.

Stray

Thanks! We are hopefully starting an escalation campaign next week so I hope they will be ready by then!

Cadmus

So, small update, the Effrit have their colours on. I’m trying my hand at a dark blue scheme, not sure whether it’s too night-lord esq?

gallery_87021_11487_214635.jpeg

I kind of like it, I’m tempted to add a bit more green, but I think I’m too far past the base coat stage for that!

What are your thoughts?

Cadmus

I want to say it works. It works real well!  It looks great and fits the bill, and I can see that the dark blue could lead to confusion but the silver trim instead of gold/brass gives away that it is not a NL. I would like to see that scheme with green stuck in there though.

I've never considered the Night Lords' color scheme as metallic, so I'd say that you're good on that front. The paintjob looks gorgeous, but if you wanna add a bit of green, you should go for it - not sure how apparent the difference will be in the end though.

Cheers, I’m glad your first thought wasn’t nightlords!

I want to say it works. It works real well! It looks great and fits the bill, and I can see that the dark blue could lead to confusion but the silver trim instead of gold/brass gives away that it is not a NL. I would like to see that scheme with green stuck in there though.

Thanks, I contemplated the green but I think Tamiya clear blue has a turquoise hint anyway. They look greener under low light!

Seeker scheme looks spot on to me, the turquoise hints stop it looking like the armour of Curze's sons.

Thanks! My only problem now is trying to tone down the shine, I’ve tried satin varnish and Lehmian medium, but it seems to wreck the colour! Perhap I should try out testors dull coat? I think it’s something to do with how the light hits a porous Matt layer on top of a satin gloss colour, it’s pretty odd!

Any way, they’re almost there:

gallery_87021_11487_144215.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_606299.jpeg

C&C welcome

Cadmus

Edited by Cadmus Tyro

Evening chaps,

I’m finally happy/finished with my seeker teams. In the end I gave them an oil wash, this allowed me to bring back the satin shine to the larger armour plates, much more control when compared to using acrylics. I found micro bubbles in the varnish sprays, over such a dark colour, played havoc with the base colour.

Photographing such a dark metallic is pretty difficult with my current photography skills and resources!

This is the piece of artwork that inspired the seeker teams:

gallery_87021_11487_803970.jpeg

I hope you like them!

Seeker squad 1:

gallery_87021_11487_875080.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_510298.jpeg

Seeker squad 2:

gallery_87021_11487_67453.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_361946.jpeg

Seeker squad 3:

gallery_87021_11487_41125.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_160341.jpeg