Cadmus Tyro Xth and XXth blog: Terror Squad

Cadmus Tyro

Really liking the alpha legion colour scheme with the metallic look. The tank is spot on to imo. Will you be doing an IG detachment that has turned chaos (or against their world governor)? they were a great to read about in the Horus Heresy with their dirty tactics and using any means to take over a world :D   

Really liking the alpha legion colour scheme with the metallic look. The tank is spot on to imo. Will you be doing an IG detachment that has turned chaos (or against their world governor)? they were a great to read about in the Horus Heresy with their dirty tactics and using any means to take over a world :D

Thanks Sagentus, have you read 'praetorian of dorn'? It really captures the characteristics of the legion. I've no plans for an allied detachment at the moment, but I'm tempted by some mechanicum stuff in the future. Although after seeing kizzdogs legion recon marines I might do a recon company! Too many awesome options!

No I have not read that yet, but the front cover makes me want it now! (I have only read Legion that had them in). Mechanicum detachment would be awesome too. 

lol, they are probably my favorite legion in the Horus heresy books with there mystery, miss direction and dirty tactics. Its a shame i dont have the Time/money (saving for a house) to collect an Alpha Company :(  

Small amount of progress tonight.

Second tactical squad is nearing completion (it has over taken the first, think I enjoyed painting them more!):

gallery_87021_11487_122174.jpg

gallery_87021_11487_357702.jpg

First quad mortar built:

gallery_87021_11487_393700.jpg

and work starts on my Kizzdogs inspired recon company (so may MkIV parts left over from BaC, it would be rude not to use them!), I plan on using BCKs tissue cape technique for the right shoulder. Still needs a lot of work/mold lines removed:

gallery_87021_11487_218399.jpg

Those are quite possibly the best Alphas I've seen.  Clean painting and the ideal shade of blue-green, in my opinion.  You really hit the nail on the head!

Thanks Ovidius, that is high praise considering the caliber of some of the alpha legion armies on this board! I'm looking forward to the next Horus heresy book, the coverage has tempted me to finish off my flesh tears ;), but I must stay on target!!!

Cadmus

Dude! Amazing work, bro! The blue that you've achieved looks really really nice and the white details contrast with it perfectly.

Looking forward to seeing some more :tu:

Cheers Kizzdougs, I hope you don't mind me stealing your recon marines! Your alphas are coming along amazingly well too.

Cadmus

Ooooh its always a treat to come back to this thread and see a few updates at once!

Everything's looking ace (as per)

Cannot wait to see the leviathan finished though.

Thanks Robzilla, your comments and encouragement are appreciated as usual! I've got the first teal coat on the leviathan, needs a green / blue coat still and then it's onto the glaze. I'll post some pics when it looks a bit more interesting!

Cadmus

That second Legion Veteran Squad is spot-on. Excellent work, mate. I'm surprised you don't get more attention with your work!

Thanks Dosjetka, perhaps I need to comment more on the work of others to invite more feedback here.

Here's the leviathan post airbrush and ready for its blue glaze:

gallery_87021_11487_259249.jpg

He's looking a little bit shiny at the moment! But the blue glaze tends to tone this down as well as the green tint.

Looking fwd to seeing your recon marines, don't see many and I'd love some ideas, especially for the little extra touches to make them distinct from tacticals in a cape.

I thought I'd share the bits/process for making the back pack first, its pretty simple:

Bits:

gallery_87021_11487_50395.jpg

Prep the back pack by removing the vents, remove the ends and handle from the melta-bomb:

gallery_87021_11487_27213.jpg

Add the meltabomb pieces over the vents, if you check out the recon marines they all have this, perhaps its some sort of heat baffle?:

gallery_87021_11487_142542.jpg

Add the pouches, and give time for the glue to set fully:

gallery_87021_11487_38067.jpg

Trim down the back of the combat knife and attach, use the small pouch to add a bit of detail and balance to the left side:

gallery_87021_11487_155137.jpg

This is another quick example with the different pouches in the BaC box (bit heavy handed with the admittedly useless army painter polycement):

gallery_87021_11487_158506.jpg

Whats do you think?

Cadmus