Cadmus Tyro Xth and XXth blog: Terror Squad

Cadmus Tyro

So the glaze has been done and I'm onto the decal stage, my favorite but also the most frustrating stage of painting my alphas. While the micro sol works its magic around the rivets, I wanted to take a quick poll of opinion on a minor detail. Would an additional (perhaps smaller) hydra head on each shoulder guard add to the balance of the decal spilling over from the torso, or would it seem too crowded?

gallery_87021_11487_298441.jpg

gallery_87021_11487_146060.jpg

Cadmus

Loving the Leviathan and placement of decals is spot on! Looking forward to seeing more!

Thanks Capt. glad you think it works. Now it's time for some proper brush work!

Great work with the decals on the Leviathan :tu:

Thanks Kizzdougs, the Levi is such a great sculpt, thoroughly enjoyed building and painting it so far.

Gah... It's beautiful.

You have once again outdone yourself matey!

Thanks! It's come together surprisingly quickly. I'll try and post some better pics when it's fully finished. Then is just my delagatus (BaC chaplain conversion) to finish off the first 1500 points.

I should probably put up a decent army shot at some point, anyone interested?

Cadmus

Gah... It's beautiful.

Thanks! It's come together surprisingly quickly. I'll try and post some better pics when it's fully finished. Then is just my delagatus (BaC chaplain conversion) to finish off the first 1500 points.

Cadmus

Hell yes! Also are those MK6 helmets with the fancy optics from the new Devastator kit?

Gah... It's beautiful.

Cadmus

Hell yes! Also are those MK6 helmets with the fancy optics from the new Devastator kit?

They are indeed, there are two in that kit and I've been scouring bits sites for the last month. I think they look good? The vanguard veterans kit also has a Mk6 helmet with left sided bionics/optics, looks a little more subtle, I've got a few of these too, so I'm sure I'll post an example at some point. I'm currently trying to make the generic plastic marine 'squat' pose look a little more dynamic, which is much easier with Mk6 than Mk4. I'll post some before and after pics when done.

And, when the Levi is complete I'll get a decent shot of the army so far!

Cadmus

While Ferrum does make a valid point (maybe they're so the other members of the squad can grab extra ammo/tools if need be), I really dig the use of the extra pouches on the backpack to make them similar to forgeworld's recon kit. While MkVI isn't my favourite armour, you've definitely done a good job in making these recon marines look more operator like, just as the AL should be.

I just want to say that while the pouches on the pack look good, it's not the best idea from a functional stand point. He wouldn't be able to reach most of them.

Fair point! I suppose I've just being trying to emulate the recon marine backpacks produced by forgeworld with the spare bits I had to hand. The recon squad have a similar pouch distribution. I don't see why it would be impossible for a marine to remove his power pack in the field. I imagine that recon marines spend extend periods of time in the field, and that perhaps their packs are filled with equipment more useful to their non combat/survival/infiltration role. Perhaps items that don't need to be fully accessible in combat etc.

Either way, as Soric says, it gives them more of an operator look, so I'm going with rule of cool!

Thanks for the input, I appreciate it.

Cadmus

Edited by Cadmus Tyro

Dear all, I would like to say a big thank you to all those who have supported/followed this blog for the last 18 months. I have really enjoyed sharing my progress, and your comments have maintained my hobby drive and enthusiasm. Recently I have found other areas of the B&C to be less inclusive and accommodating, to the point where I'm feeling quite discouraged maintaining online presence on this site.

As a result, I will be taking a break from posting over next few months, perhaps I'll resurect this blog in the future at some point.

Thanks again.

Cadmus