Cadmus Tyro Xth and XXth blog: Terror Squad

Cadmus Tyro

really cool stuff, love the conversations the painting everything, looking forward to seeing more!

Thanks thamier, I appreciate the comment, they keep me going! I will hopefully have a few free evenings to finish of the venator, but I can't quite resist the temptation to build the leviathan I have sitting in a box still!

Yeah i'd stick with the black, especially as i assume the tracks will be a metallic colour.

Yeah the tracks will be metallic, then washed with typhus corrosion then weathering powders etc. I find it easier to work over black with lead belcher.

That's the sweet stuff right there.

Cheers! And thanks for the suggestion!

Now that's a sexy tank.

It is indeed, must be the make-up brushes ;)

That's a darn good looking tank! Nice work on the weathering. Nice and subtle enough not to take the whole focus from the rest of the paintjob.

Thanks Nysse, appreciate the feedback! Let's hope the next stage of weathering doesn't take it too far!

The weathering you've got to far is really nice, noticeable but doesn't interfere with the overall effect of the point job. That really is a great looking vehicle.

Thanks mate!

Subtle weathering, and superb job done as always. I really like it!

When you say the make up brushes were better, in what way do you mean?

Cheers robzilla, the make-up brushes are essentially really fine sponges on plastic sticks that don't absorb too much paint. This seems to give you a lot more control and allows you to achieve a more worn look to the paint. If you were going for small chips in the middle of the armour plate I would still use a normal sponge.

I used to use a fine detail brush, which looks ok at a distance, but up close it looks a little too manufactured. The cataphractti below was done using a fine detail brush:

gallery_87021_11487_52959.jpg

Compare that to a close up of the tank (poor image quality aside):

gallery_87021_11487_66387.jpg

The chipping blends with the rest of he paint giving a more feathered edge. It is also significantly faster than the brush approach and easier to correct mistakes.

Hope that answers the question?

Cadmus

Cheers robzilla, the make-up brushes are essentially really fine sponges on plastic sticks that don't absorb too much paint. This seems to give you a lot more control and allows you to achieve a more worn look to the paint. If you were going for small chips in the middle of the armour plate I would still use a normal sponge.

I used to use a fine detail brush, which looks ok at a distance, but up close it looks a little too manufactured. The cataphractti below was done using a fine detail brush:

The chipping blends with the rest of he paint giving a more feathered edge. It is also significantly faster than the brush approach and easier to correct mistakes.

Cadmus

Thanks for the tip about the makeup brushes. Any advice on different sizes and so on? Might look at grabbing some myself.

Cadmus

Thanks for the tip about the makeup brushes. Any advice on different sizes and so on? Might look at grabbing some myself.

gallery_87021_11487_1257726.jpg

Does the streaking grime add much to the overall effect?

I'm a big fan of the steaks. I've wanted to use that product too, and am glad you were able to show great examples of what it can do. It's subtle enough to not ruin your paint scheme, but also realistic enough to bring that bright color into "the real world".

Personally, I'd add a few more subtle weathering effects to go with the streaks. Maybe some different weathering powders for dust?

Does the streaking grime add much to the overall effect?

I'm a big fan of the steaks. I've wanted to use that product too, and am glad you were able to show great examples of what it can do. It's subtle enough to not ruin your paint scheme, but also realistic enough to bring that bright color into "the real world".

Personally, I'd add a few more subtle weathering effects to go with the streaks. Maybe some different weathering powders for dust?

Thanks, yeah it was powdered but I tried out the pigment fixer which seemed to significantly mute the effect, except in the area where the powder was heavily applied. So I might go over the track again with more of the brown pigment powders, minus the fixer.

Layers. That's the trick with powders. Lots of layers alternating between powders and fixed. Trust me, they look much better when they've been built up with more than one coat. Also, as a heads up, varnish will also change their look, but it will keep them in place.

Layers. That's the trick with powders. Lots of layers alternating between powders and fixed. Trust me, they look much better when they've been built up with more than one coat. Also, as a heads up, varnish will also change their look, but it will keep them in place.

Thanks for the advice, I'll give it a go. I'm used to using powders but not fixer. I might try some humbrol decal fix (which I have used to good effect in the past for streaking effects using powders) instead of enamel fixer, I need to do some more tests. I've always struggled to fix powders into that 'dust' effect, perhaps layers are the key!

• 5 weeks later...