A Mordian march to glory

duz_

Thanks all! :wub: 
I wasn't sure how it was going to turn out when I started and was part way through

With all the details and eveything done now I'm happy with it (not 100% the colour I wanted), but I have achieved a close enough scheme to what I had envisioned 

Well done. What did you name the Shadowsword?

Good question... doesn't have one yet...
Although it has been given a few nicknames... :whistling:

Damn that thing looks great.

Serious question: are the treads done? The tank looks amazing but the treads look unfinished. The rivets, the gun, the sensors... everything! But the dreads look like they need something more IMO.

Treads (and barrel) are done, with the lighting and because they're metallic you can't tell, but they have been washed and dry brushed

On closer inspection without blinding photography lights you can see a bit of depth and texture to them

The white on your SS is lovely and crisp! I love the rivets as well and the gold cannon - any tips for the shade around the rivets since on my Leman Russes they never look as good. I also think that the treads could do with a little extra, maybe paint the wings on each side of each track to match with the cannon? But otherwise its amazing!

Name?

I, too, second the request for rivet-shading knowledge.

No real trick to the rivets?
I just used a medium brush to apply agrax directly to the rivet, I made sure it was just enough to encircle the base of the rivet without pooling excesively

I also didn't go back and highlight the top of the rivet. When I tried that on my first BB it looked like the rivets were pimples... 

I found the agrax wash really complimented the colour in this instance, nulin oil was too stark and not enough depth

Next up I think I'll finish my metall ogryns, maybe my final Demolisher tank (which also needs agrax wash) and then back to the Naneblade / Hellhammer chassis

Hopefully I can replicate the colour again, when I sprayed the sponsons et al the other day its not quite a perfect match, but I think I know what needs to be adjusted :D

I let models earn their moniker in battle. Saves me having to come up with something and it's more fun that way I think!

I don't want to risk having my opponent name my superheavy tank " :cuss: :censored::censored::censored:!!!" after it kills his Greater Daemon, or my friends trolling me by naming it "Super-duper :censored::censored: Killing :censored: King of the Mother-:censored: Battlefield!!!" with multiple exclamation points in the name.

Best do it myself.

Edited by Bjorn Firewalker
Do not dodge the swear filter

I have not thought of a name for it yet, although I am open to less offensive suggestions

Arkaniss, I understand your point, well see if that happens

I have my metal Commissar with a power fist which I nearly always play now after he took out several Grey Knights early in the edition and continues to perform strongly since :) 

I warn opponents about him and to their detriment they usually laugh it off ;)

My power fist Commissar (fantastic model too) has a fair few GK to his tally too ;) I quite like letting vehicles earn a suitable name on the table top, it helps cement the particular deed that earned it. "Annihilatum" and "Nex Mortis" reaped bloody tolls that are recalled with terror to this day... even if the rules don't always keep up from edition to edition :lol:

Don't worry already seen it and discussing how I could run 3 Commissars and 3 Lord Commissars and still abide by the rule of 3

Not that Mordians are that ill disciplined :wink:

Not too much progress of late, built some Custodes over the weekend, but did get a brush to start scrubbing a few older Mordians that will be getting the "new" treatment... :D

Need to varnish the BB and starting working on the other chassis still... :ermm:

Edited by duz_

Had some spare time to hobby last night and excited by todays BL announcement (see above) I decided to take a second crack at my Artel W commissar

gallery_87434_11578_81543.jpg

Still a bit more block colours to go and not too dissimilar to how I left her last but I happy with how she's coming along

Will probably go to an Ulthuan grey on the ends of the sash though

The raised parts of the pauldron will be cold same with the wrist guards

Thanks

Well looking at a lot of GW commissars with armour its usually silver with some gold embellishments

However this plate is just plain without any way to break up what would be otherwise a lot of solid silver

I think I will wash it all with Sepia to dull it down a bit, its very bright at the moment

The straps will probably zandri dust to blend in

Gloves will be black, although it looks like there is some kinda cloth? protection underneath the arm guards, I will probably do the top of them red

The knee pads and pouches I'm thinking of a Dawnstone? grey

The sides of the hat I'm still not sure if I want them to be black, brown, tan or other... :ermm:

Got the final base colours down on the commissar happy with how she's coming along this time.

Will be travelling for work this week so wont have a chance to hobby much this week

Hope to finish her next weekend :)

gallery_87434_11578_200304.jpg

Any C&C is appreciated :D

Edited by duz_

Yeh I guess they all have a blue sash? Only a few colours options to compliment the scheme. I don't like being constrained to standard schemes, commissars are a challenge to divert from ;)

Yeh have quite figured out what its supposed to be ... she tied her jacket around her waist?

• 4 weeks later...

Not much to update here just finished my Custodes commission so have time to focus back on my own projects. Unfortunately the commission has inspire me to work on my Custard creams too... :ermm:

On the upside though I think I have settled on a friendly thematic list for a tournament Im attending in may.

It will be the last 30 man squad of Mordians lead by Commander (or Lord Commissar.... TBD) after an encounter with some Thousand Sons who have been plaguing Mordian.

They're dug in expecting the worst when a strike force of Custodes (lead by Trajann) and the remnants of the Scion and mobile support (hellhounds) column arrive.

The reason this specialized force happened to stumble across them is they are hunting Magnus and he is believed to have been in the engagement that decimated the Mordian regiment.

:D

What does this mean from a hobby perspective? Well its a friendly event where painting is 1/3 the score. This gives me the motivation to paint 30 more Mordians in my new next level standard.

Also a friend posted these on fb yesterday and keeping inline with my comments in the HWT thread I want to up my basing game so I may well use these.

45552c_f0de27becb7f466eb5871bb7174ebb2a~

https://www.unrealwargamingstudios.co.uk/product-page/25mm-base-bundle-60

Their flyer bases pretty awesome too

/end ramble

I went to resin bases. Really happy with them. Dry brush and good to go. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/25mm-Round-Urban-Rubble-Resin-Bases-Warhammer-40K-40000-City-Road-Concrete/261495786624?hash=item3ce25d0c80:g:eBIAAMXQBg5RxG0b:rk:27:pf:0

Yours shown in previous post look great.

ps - your thread remains an inspiration

• 2 weeks later...

Well custodes commission done and work travel over

Back to my commissar this week hopefully!

Although I've forgotten what gold I was using for her ... :ermm:

Also having a look at her this evening I think I'm only going to wash a few areas opt for a "cleaner" and brighter style just to try something different.

More distractions over the weekend

With the release of the new rules I was super amped to paint this guy!

gallery_87434_14331_335254.jpg

I've had the assassins since Execution Force dropped, but only painted the Callidus so far

I sold the Vindicare and had already painted the original one, although I just purchased a second this weekend :)

I did however also finish up a Demolisher tank that had been waiting on my desk for a while for some final details and washing

It just need to be varnished now...

I also dug out a VM female Commander mini that I'd only TT painted for an event last year and have started going back to layer and highlight her

All of which I should have taken before pics to vow in the current painting event :ermm:

I certainly have much more I could pledge though! ;) :sweat: