A Mordian march to glory

duz_

• 3 weeks later...

So its been a while but I have been working on a few things

The next major tournament I will be attending will be in April and its a 4 player team event. There will be 16 teams, 1500pts per player and 4 rounds.

At the beginning of each round the two captains will roll off the loser has to nominate their first player and army and the winner gets to counter. Then captain who countered nominates a 2nd player/army and the first captain gets a turn to counter. The process is then repeated for the 3rd and 4th players.

LoWs (super heavies/GMC's inc) no forgeworld, 3 detachments max.

Each round will consist of a primary (eternal war), secondary (maelstrom) and tertiary (kills pts + the usual 3 suspects) scoring. With each team member contributing to the overall team score for the round (tbh I'm still not 100% on how the scoring works, but I'm not the captain so all good! ;) )

This time I have challenged myself to take a list that I want to play and think will be fun and no LoW's.

It consists of an Emperors wrath formation, allied guard detachment (aka cheap bubblewrap) and CAD scion detachment.
I still have plenty of painting to do as I only recently acquired a manticore and I decided to strip and repaint my 16yo Basilisk too. Not to mention additional taurox I have bought and getting my scions which I am never motivated to paint (depsite loving the models) done too!

So far I have challenged one of my team mates playing BA to two practice games.

It is a match up that will hopefully never happen in the tournament as he is playing the BA Angels Fury Spearhead Formation which is 3 stormravens that can roll on turn one(with re-rolls!) to enter.

The first game was a white wash even though I had first turn I wasnt able to do anything with 2 manticore shots and 1 basilisk shot to his 2 rhinos that start on board. All 3 of his SRavens came on and shot everything up... I managed not to be tabled as the game fortunately ended turn 5 and I still have some remnants of a 30man blob squad left.

Last night we had a rematch, a better first round saw me immobilse both [now] HB razorbacks in his table corner and have to disembark 2x 5 man tac squads.

Again all 3 storm ravens came on 1st turn, but fortunately the terrain and my guardsmen provided better cover than previously as well as a more diverse target priority as I was now able to capitalise on the maelstrom with his razorbacks out of the picture

The game was a good back and forth and I was able to deal a lot of damage with my TL, ignores cover artillery even with the manticore destroyed in turn 2 after only being able to fire once in the game as it was force to snap shot at beginning of 2.

At the end of turn 5 I had good board coverage and denial and would have probably won, we rolled and there was a turn 6. This saw some bad lack come my way and my opponent grabbing two objectives (one of which was thanks to a taroux rolling double 1 on a dangerous terrain test and then having his S. priest blow it to pieces to claim the object it had been denying.) The other two was a 4 round combat between 6 scions and 2 marines where no one would die and my scion CCS falling back after losing 2 casualties to bolter rounds and coming off an objective.

The game ended there unfortunately had it of gone to 7 I probably would have swung it back in my favour with shear numbers on my side. A fun game for both though.

On to the hobby progress

As mentioned I needed to get the tanks painted and I needed to repurpose some scions I had originally bought thinking I would field them as 10 man squads. However now I believe the best way for how I use them is to min/man so it involved dismantling some to attach meltas and plasma guns and removing the expensive plasma pistols from the SGTs as well as making a couple more.

In the process I almost took the top of my finger off with a hobby knife thanks to a stubborn dagger on one of the scions carapace (it was in the way of army positioning). So kids be careful with knives!!

This means that now my scions consist of 2x CCS (w/ 3 Plasma and vox) 3x 5x Scion squad (w/ 2 Melta and Vox) 1x 5x Scion squad (w/ HSLG and Vox) and 2x Taurox Primes :)

I need to paint a few of the regular riflemen, a couple of sgts, a couple of meltas and a plasma gunner as well as the new Prime

I am also hoping to field my Mordians as allied detachment. Which means I need to paint up 2 more flamers and about 6 regular guardsmen to complete the roster

Onto the photos

Re-modeling some of the old riflemen

gallery_87434_11578_1323803.jpg

Three extra Vox casters required for the new formation configuration. These were too hard to remodel so I used the new kit to put these together

gallery_87434_11578_923370.jpg

I got bored of all the plasma gunners with finger of death so I made a couple of a modified medic case. Given these guys will be riding in the CCS its like theyre having to lug junk around for the CO

gallery_87434_11578_305194.jpg

I used the tutorial for the maintcore/deathstrike swap. I did a minor change to the original post where I only took out notches on the lugs where the magnet would interfere this way the mount sits better and is less likely to slide off. A helpful walk through none the less
gallery_87434_11578_1133188.jpg

More mordians and scions emerge from their dettol bath. As well as an old metal Vindicare (I still like him better than any of the newer ones)
gallery_87434_11578_309447.jpg

Priming done
gallery_87434_11578_743611.jpg

gallery_87434_11578_1818175.jpg

Decided to make some wrecked vehicle and screen smoke markers too. Note for others, get the cheap cotton wool not the fancy stuff like me. The fancy ones are rolled together which makes it really hard to pluck them into smoke without them just falling apart (not to mention theyre massive too) ...
gallery_87434_11578_1039699.jpg

Yeh I now have a new and old hellhound.

I still really like the old one, just wish it wasn't on the old chimera chassis. Maybe one day ill convert it across.

I just bathed the basilisk and hellhound in dettol as they were from when I started back in 3rd and had a real rough camo scheme on them which doesn't match my current armoured paint scheme.

The other 3 were new builds I just completed

I'm in the camp of actual liking the clown car look of the taroux. I'm looking forward to getting my red and white scheme on them.

My only main concern right now is this now the new GW white primer and as is these vehicles are definitely a different shade to the rest of the division.

I'm hoping that once I start dry brushing white scar it wont be as noticeable and that it might even give it a better contrast of colours and shades (although I don't plan on redoing all my vehicles to match, I've already decided to repaint all my cadians in addition to my mordians and they're only a yr or two old...)

WF dettol works wonders I've tried simple green and although its cheaper its no where near as effective.

Interesting... I've done a few strip jobs, I may have to give that Dettol stuff a try. How long do you have to soak it for? Any weakening of the glue? I have a lot of my 3rd ed armour I would love to clean up.

You've definitely given the old school regiment a good shine. Not sure if you've seen these before but if you were looking for alternative for expansion:

http://victoriaminiatures.highwire.com/products/tannenburg-fusiliers?pagesize=12

It depends what and how much your stripping

I usually throw stuff in and literally forget about it for 2-4 weeks then remember when I can't find the model

I usually strip in bulk so I like to leave it for a week or so just to be on the safe side

Metal cleans up pretty quick I finder the new paints and plastic take a little bit longer for some reason

You could probably get away with leaving a squad in for a couple of days and then all you really need to do is give the models a light brush just to remove the peeling paint that lingers

If you put it in an ultrasonic bath it would probably happen overnight if not quicker and you wouldn't have to worry about brushing

The brushing isn't anywhere as near as labour intensive as I found simple green to be

The dettol will deteriorate super glue and you will have to re-glue metal models and anything assembled with super glue. I don't mind so much as most of my tanks from 3rd ed needed a good overhaul anyway

The plastic glue on new minis still holds pretty firm unless it was a bad job to begin with

Yeh every now and again I wander over to their site and see

But I usually end up content with my current collection

If they released special rules for Mordians and no models I'd definitely stock up though!

I also go back forth between their rough riders and DKoK ones

So because I don't have enough hobby on my plate I'm considering repainting my 40-50 odd cadians

I'm going for a somewhat Starship Troopers theme (current theme is RoboCop inspired ;) )

Here's my first test model (I needed something to break up all the mordians tanks and scions I will be doing in the coming weeks)

gallery_87434_11578_752563.jpg

gallery_87434_11578_71803.jpg

gallery_87434_11578_1182349.jpg

Edited by duz_

Cheers fellas

Baz I had trialled eshin and administratum grey

Black seemed to contrast the best

If I could get a dry brush in there giving the black with a light hit of eshin would certainly help too

I might try administratum again on the vets to distinguish them. That's what I used on the pouches and it seems to work with a wash.

Definitely have more mordians to go I was just looking at all the unpainted ones I have yesterday....

Tks Nico

Yeh I'm glad I held onto my Mordians. Praetorians are like hens teeth to find! I wish I had more.

Seeing how much Mordians go for on EBay these days I know what will be the first to go if I ever need the coin! ;)

Excuse the double post didn't think I'd get much more hobby done tonight

First time base coating with the new GW white primer

Its annoyingly different from the old white scar which all my other armour is based off...

However after a dry brush with the pot white scar it seems to even out

(The front one has been washed and dry brushed, rear is just sprayed and washed awaiting dry brushing)

gallery_87434_11578_291727.jpg

That looks like White Scar to me. I'm pretty reluctant to use GW White after a couple bad experiences. Army Painter primer is just so good.

Liking those Tauroxes, I may have to finally cave and get a couple.

Very striking scheme., looks great. I've had well documented issues with white. I've found black primer, fortress grey or equiv base. Then ceramite White rather than white scar leaving the grey in recesses. Gives better coverage for me

Thanks

The last tournament I was at I was collecting stuff From my previous table and there was a white scars player there

My armour could have been part of his army

That wasn't the intention at the time

It was meant to be a varied UN theme

I've actually had good success with GW black + GW white scar + nulin wash for recesses + white scar dry brush

Problem with the corax white is that it is noticeably different to the WS

Once I've finished ill line it up next to some of my older tanks

Anyhow finished off the main colours and got some nulin wash on it starting to come together

I didn't add an extra colour. I just need to do some small details to finish

gallery_87434_11578_313474.jpg

gallery_87434_11578_38593.jpg

gallery_87434_11578_163105.jpg

Alright done

I think I'm happy with it for the most part

Keeps the theme of my other dedicated troop transports for my main force

Next one I will use a better stencil to get the arrow on the roof instead of masking tape...

gallery_87434_11578_130902.jpg

gallery_87434_11578_343643.jpg

gallery_87434_11578_5701.jpg

gallery_87434_11578_36535.jpg

Comparison with my AM chimeras and MT taroux prime (nb I had been using this as a regular taroux while I built the new ones)

gallery_87434_11578_235324.jpg

gallery_87434_11578_126989.jpg

gallery_87434_11578_286402.jpg