A Mordian march to glory

duz_

Maelstrom is one of my favourite ways to play the game

Really forces you to be in your toes and balance out the risk reward as you never know which way the cards will go

Meanwhile I've included my thoughts of the Emperors Wrath detachment here

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/356252-few-questions-about-vigilus-detachments/?p=5326478&do=findComment&comment=5326478

Even if you don't play the Maelstrom cards, I really like having the tactical cards for reference :) 

If you haven't played maelstrom though its a lot of fun, a few minor tweaks removes some of the crazy swingyness too

I know its not super popular in the US which is unfortunate... :ermm:

I love maelstrom. I agree with cuz though: it doesn't seem to be too popular over in my area of the states at least. I feel like it really forces some tactical decisions that otherwise can be lacking from the game. At least in my local meta players tend to be very conservative in their playstyle and this forces more movement, sacrificing units, and different choices. Just my thoughts though. Some people don't like the randomness of the cards and such, which I can kind of see. You really can live and die by those objective cards.

Oh good, chipping away at something,even a wee bit is always better than Nuthin :blush.: ..  i bet your kinda sick of blue aren't you :rolleyes:

i look forward to seeing some boys in blue next week :thumbsup: .... and before you say anything, Yes i'll work on my Valk over the weekend too :tongue.:

Cheers, Mithril

Sick of blue indeed!

However due to some questionable work ethic on my behalf today (I'll let the Emperor be the judge of that ;) ) I got through all the bluing! :D

Now the next stage the whiting so I can do the reding <_<

Having messed around with some zenithal highlighting I've really come to appreciate how much more red pops on a white base. I've already got half way through the white. :tu:

Upside is now there's another significant colour on you can see the contrast between all the blues I've done. :D

gallery_87434_11578_50209.jpg

gallery_87434_11578_129169.jpg

Oh don't worry there's an overwhelming amount of models everywhere else

A draw of unpainted ravenguard with a tray more in the basement, a tub of unpainted terrain, a closet of custodes, the entire BSF box...

These 30 on the table are the least of my concern :lol:

Actually I wasn't sure if I could do 30 at once. It seems to be working this time though. Each step I've done has been 3-7mins per model which I think is key.

I was listening to a podcast a few weeks back where one of the hosts discussed large batch painting when they do commissions. They said their trick is working from big to small and finishing each colour (including washing and details) before going to the next and avoiding as many mistakes as possible. So I given it a shot in my own way and it seems to be working well.

I try and pick colours on where I can still afford to be slightly sloppy between areas. As having to be perfect with each layer would certainly slow things down.

I'm wondering how I can port this technique to other armies of mine. :tu:

Chilled with the missus this evening so not much painting (although got another 3 done white with some spare time earlier)

I did finally assemble the anvil burning rose kickstarter minis I got not to long ago after backing the project almost this time last year

I bought 5 Crusaders and an astropath. I also got a counts as daemon host but I'll probably use the Artel one with my Eisenhorn.

They should be fairly easy to paint

gallery_87434_11578_101689.jpg

gallery_87434_11578_16324.jpg

I also like how the leg sprue date also basing material

gallery_87434_11578_88125.jpg

Haha they sent most out a while ago unless you got some of their walkers they went together pretty easy :)

Didn't get my airbrush out this weekend but got some decent progress done on the Mordians.

Finished getting the white down and then between yesterday and a cheeky hour or so today made it through 20 of the Mordians with red. At hour 4 yesterday of white the red I was almost ready to poke my eye balls out. <_<

I wasnt sure if the white base was doing much but inevitably I missed some spots which I want gonna go back and do. This meant I got a good example of with and without white base and it does make a big difference as expected. Fortunately the few spots I missed on some random models won't be noticeable on the table top. ^_^

Hopefully another hour here and there during the week so let me get the first layer of red down so I can start washing then layering and highlighting. :ermm:

Enough blabber here's pics :D

gallery_87434_11578_15213.jpg

After wanting to poke my eyes out yesterday and wondering if all the work was worth it I skipped ahead and did some of the black. Fortunately between the red and definitely the black your starting to see the blue contrasts more and the model is starting to pop :D

gallery_87434_11578_31667.jpg

Edited by duz_

haha so the skipping ahead guy was to keep your sanity and to make sure the effort was worth it... well it looks like it was :thumbsup:

i may try and emulate your idea here and get a heap of my cadians together and base coated...instead of painting 5 or less i may try this method...

(after the ETL ,i promised some silver guys who hate the world that i'd paint them up this year :tongue.: ...perhaps i'll test this method of yours out on them :woot: )

Great work here as always :thumbsup: :thumbsup:  double for staying true to the effort!!

Cheers, Mithril

Done the reds! :D

Hopefully on the downward slope now with black, silver and skin / hair next. They won't require a many layers and highlights I'm hoping.

Here's some pics not sure if you can tell though... :ermm:

gallery_87434_11578_8872.jpg

gallery_87434_11578_1057561.jpg

(bottom before red, middle red base, top red with layer and highlighting)

Although this method seems to be working since I don't really need that many Mordians I might drop back to doing it 1 squad at a time for sanitys sake...

Now excuse me while I go check on mithrils progress...

The assembly line production gets results on this scale, so it'll be worth it in the end, but it's not something you can do all the time. Best reserved for great pushes, then switching back to normal methods (after a suitable break project like a tank or character!) :tu: Keep up the effort they're coming along well :)

Thanks

Didn't work on them Sunday I did some building for my sneaky Marines just to give myself a break. Only got a few minutes in last night but got the black down on a couple of models. Really starting to come together time and effort had been worth it IMHO... :D

gallery_87434_11578_116261.jpg

Wait what's this about necrons and etl! Wheres my bolt pistol...

Making some progress on the blacks is relatively straight forward but because there's actually a fair bit and some require being a bit careful it's taking almost as long as the reds but less painful at least :sweat:

Will see how my weekend goes with these guys...

gallery_87434_11578_34354.jpg