A Mordian march to glory

duz_

More tanks! How many will this make overall? What size base is the Tech Priest on? It looks large but that could be a trick of the lens!

Brings me back up to 5 LRBTs (3 demolisher variants and 2 standard) which is where I was ~2yrs ago when I decided to sell my last 5 so I could repaint and fully magnetise them :sweat:

Does freezing help break the super glue up?

Supposedly, I usually have mixed success with it. Highly dependant on the super glue you use some stuff is super strong. I tried it in this instance because I realised just as I was going to bed I mess it up so threw it in the freezer overnight because it was easy enough to do. Fortunately it worked this time managed to get behind all the magnets and pop them out this morning :tu: :D

Thanks all for the kinda comments :blush.:

I am lagging with my batreps so I will try to catch up on them. In August I attended the Siegeworld ITC Major in St Louis which I helped organise and then I recently attended the Front Range GT here in Denver. For both events I used the same list (see below), the only changes between the 2 events was the FAQ on making Demolishers a flat D6 shots. 

The list:

Battalion Detachment: Mordian
+ HQ +
Company Commander: Bolt pistol, Chainsword, Warlord
Company Commander: Bolt pistol, Chainsword

+ Troops +
3x Infantry Squad

Guardsman W/ Special Weapon: Grenade Launcher

Heavy Weapon Team: Heavy bolter

Battalion Detachment: Catachan
Vigilus Defiant: Emperor's Wrath Artillery Company
+ HQ +
Lord Commissar: Bolt pistol, Power fist, Power sword
Tempestor Prime: Chainsword, Tempestus Command Rod

+ Troops +
2x Militarum Tempestus Scions
2x Scion
2x Scion w/ Special Weapon: Plasma gun
Tempestor: Chainsword, Hot-shot Laspistol

Militarum Tempestus Scions
4x Scion

+ Elites +
Astropath: Laspistol, Nightshroud
Master of Ordnance: Emperor's Wrath

+ Fast Attack +
2x Hellhounds: Heavy Bolter, Track guards

+ Heavy Support +
Basilisks: Emperor's Wrath
Wyverns: Emperor's Wrath

Supreme Command Detachment
Regimental Doctrine: Regiment: Valhallan
+ HQ +
Tank Commander: Heavy Bolter, Turret-mounted Demolisher Siege Cannon
Tank Commander: Heavy Bolter, Heavy Bolters, Turret-mounted Punisher Gatling Cannon
Tank Commander: Heavy Bolter, Plasma Cannons, Turret-mounted Executioner Plasma Cannon

+ Elites +
Tech-Priest Enginseer

+ Lord of War +
Shadowsword: Sponson: Lascannon, Twin heavy bolter

Both events didn't fare well, I went 1-4 (W-L) in both. Partially because of the lack of practice I have in the game of late and also partially because the list wasn't the best for ITC missions.
My opponents are both events were great and the games for the most part were enjoyable. 

Highlights of the list
  • Emperors Wrath artillery company bonuses - especially for the Wyvrens!
  • Leman Russes - I am still getting used to their durability in 8th after the garbage that was HP's in 7th
  • Volcano Cannon and Crush them on a Shadowsword
  • Valhallan RD for tanks
  • D6 Demolisher shots! :yes:

Lowlights

• Shadowsword isn't durable enough for the cost, although it can deal some damage - which is a shame I did enjoy fielding it
  • Hellhounds 
  • Punisher
  • D3 Demolisher shots :down:

Uncertain

• MoO with Vigilus WL trait and relic - I am not sure if it was really worth 2 CP I spent each time... Possibly because of table set up and opponents I faced
  • Catachan re-roll bonus

With the dismal showing I will be retiring this list and trying a new one. I plan to drop the Shadowsword and Hellhounds and pick up a couple more LRBT's and Bullgryns. Hence the tank building above! :sweat:

The new list is:

Battalion Detachment: Mordian
Vigilus Defiant: Emperor's Wrath Artillery Company
+ HQ +
Company Commander: Chainsword, Emperor's Wrath, Laspistol
Tempestor Prime: Tempestus Command Rod

+ Troops +
2x Infantry Squad
Guardsman W/ Special Weapon: Flamer

1x Infantry Squad

2x Militarum Tempestus Scions
2x Scion
2x Plasma gun

+ Elites +
Master of Ordnance: Emperor's Wrath

+ Heavy Support +
2x Basilisk: Heavy Bolter
2x Wyvern: Heavy Bolter

++ Battalion Detachment: Mordian
+ HQ +
Company Commander: Bolt pistol, Chainsword
Lord Commissar: Bolt pistol, Power fist, Power sword

+ Troops +
3x Infantry Squad
Guardsman W/ Special Weapon: Grenade Launcher
Heavy Weapon Team: Heavy bolter

++ Spearhead Detachment: Valhallan
Vigilus Defiant: Emperor's Fist Tank Company
+ HQ +
Tank Commander: Battle Cannon, Emperor's Fist, Lascannon, Plasma Cannons, Relic (Emperor's Fist): Hammer of Sunderance
Tank Commander: Battle Cannon, Emperor's Fist, Lascannon, Plasma Cannons

+ Elites +
Bullgryns
4x Bullgryn: Bullgryn Maul, Slabshield
Bullgryn Bone 'ead: Bullgryn Maul, Slabshield

Platoon Commander

+ Heavy Support +
Heavy Weapons Squad
3x Heavy bolter

2x Leman Russ Demolisher: Heavy Bolter

Still some room for tweaking, but I'm doubling up on whats good and dropping on what I though under performed.

Next up will be pic's of the events and a brief summary of what I can remember ;) 

Round 1 vs Nurgle Discolord list

Don't ever think Nurgle is slow!!! They have so many buffs to speed them up that I was getting multi assaulted T1

Added with the discolords have a bubble where if your within 6" they're -1 to hit and this army also had a -1 to hit outside 12" made it really difficult to get shots off at them before it was too late

My opponent is one of the guys I know at KC, he's quite competitive and for some reason we play each other nearly every event we attend

It usually ends with me getting my butt kicked

gallery_87434_12480_57830.jpg

gallery_87434_12480_231754.jpg

Round 2 vs RG

A pre new dex and supplement RG list, player was relatively new. According to my app apparently I won this game?

Highlight of the match was my Mordians holding an objective that a lone ASM tried to assault and they gunned him down in overwatch :D

gallery_87434_12480_158744.jpg

gallery_87434_12480_124911.jpg

Round 3 vs IG

Another local player who I play occasionally at RTT's

He had a full Leman Russ list - turns out my list is really good at killing them, especially when his dice were cold...

My Shadowsword took out an entire flank between the Volcano cannon and running tanks over, my other 3 TC's held the other flank down as the Shadowsword turn its attention that direction, was a overwhelming victory for my Mordians, but seemed somewhat hollow due to the dice. Not a single vehicle of mine was taken out of action...

gallery_87434_12480_154712.jpg

gallery_87434_12480_34554.jpg

Round 4 vs Necrons

Ugh I hate Necrons... I never have enough firepower to wipe out an entire squad and then all the damn things comeback <_<

Also learnt that Volcano Cannons against anything with Quantum shielding is the worst, if they roll less than the damage result (on 1D6) they negate it....

Figured that out the hard way turn 1! Fortunately Volcano cannons are really good at taking out their fliers because you really only need 1 go through to take it down

Opponent was fine, but I never enjoy playing Necrons - I'm not sure why these players complain about bad their codex is, seems to have some good combos if you don't mind playing the grind

gallery_87434_12480_121745.jpg

Round 5 vs DE

No pics of this one, this was another friend of mine. He's quite competitive too although plays pure DE

He picked some good missions vs me and I was limited as to what I could choose against him

He didn't table me, but I couldn't score points and he kept making his invul's and FNP's so I was overwhelmed and the game ended

Those damn -1 to hit flyers with invuls are insane for their points he flooded the board with them

This was my first major tournament in nearly a year, so I got to learn some of the changes to the ITC missions. I really dislike the concept of tailoring a list for missions, especially when you do it to deny opponents points, but it appears to be a thing in the ITC these days.

I'll write up the more recent event another night :tu:

My left eye is twitching at seeing only 30 infantry in 2k list :p

Jokes aside I really enjoyed the short form reports and the pictures were great, Mordian overwatch for the win!

:lol:

Most my opponents were surprised when I said my list only had 6 troop squads and 45 models total

More room for goodies :D tbh there has only been 1 or 2 games where I could have done with more troops. Actually both involved multiple discolords...

My new list has more despite not having played against Marines yet the increase in players fielding them and them now having at least AP-1 on all bolt weapons in Tactical Doctrine means I probably should have some more

Mordian overwatch is great I did miss it a few times on my tanks. Which is why I dropped the Catachan RD for Mordian on my Artillery as they inevitably get get charged and hitting on 5s maybe 4 on overwatch will be nice

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks... But that's actually WarriorFish'S :lol:

I was able to base coat my new LRs earlier in the week if I'm lucky I can base coat them this evening.

Just finished reading this novella from the 2nd series - I haven't read any of the others but this one was kewl

BLPROCESSED-Iron-Resolve-Cover.jpg

Essentially if follows an injured recently graduated Mordian infantrymen over a ~24hr period.

Their regiment is on a world trying to clear out a feral ork infestation, but of course the infestation isn't a simple as it seems.

It starts off sound like it might just be Mordian Zulu, but deviates shortly after.

I bought it because it was only 5 bux and I can't say no to a novel on Mordians obviously ;)

Turned out to be a great read!

Next up Cadian Honour!

Edited by duz_

• 2 months later...

Well now I feel obliged! :laugh.:

Its Vallejos Model Air Dark Gull Grey 71.277

For completeness the other colours are

VMA Insignia White 71.279

VMA Red 71.102

VMA Blue 71.004

The red is a real pain to deal with its super thick.. I have to add extra thinner and crank the pressure to work with it.

Well I'm so glad I posted this sucker!

Did some aribrushing today and pre-shaded my 2 new LRBT's, but went to layer them and couldn't confirm what colour they should be! :sweat:

Now I know for next time and reiterates the point where I need to start logging all this! :whistling:

Did some aribrushing today and pre-shaded my 2 new LRBT's, but went to layer them and couldn't confirm what colour they should be!

Was looking at your gallery to see how your LRBT's looked, but there was no pictures of them close up, any chance you'll do a little photoshoot once you are done with these new ones? Are the paint-schemes based on the Mordian colors? Funny to see you picking these models up again, just as I finished mine!

EDIT: Never mind, didn't notice there was several pages in your gallery! They look great :biggrin.:

Edited by NerdyFellow

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not a lot of consistent hobby going on for me at the moment

The other day the weather was nice enough to prime some terrain with the GW contrast primer for an experiment I've been waiting for a while

Still have to finish the silver and wash it but the contrast + dry brush worked surprisingly well! Might do all my terrain this way

A lot quicker than my airbrush attempts <_<

gallery_87434_11578_628424.jpg

Top floor done got a good chunk of the second floor done today to

Still need to do the inside and wash the metals but coming along alright

Waiting on some other contrast colours for the floors

Also learnt that changing the dilution with the medium drastically changes the shade similarly with doing an extra coat :ermm:

It is a nice break from some of the other detail work in used to doing

gallery_87434_11578_391380.jpg

Thanks I've attempted to airbrush a couple of the smaller pieces of this terrain (ie the very top piece) and found it's cumbersome, slow and painful with all the detail

The contrast had made it really easy to get large sections done quickly

The main walls are Aggros Dunes over grey seer primer

The top layer was 1:1 medium to contrast the second storey was 1:2 medium to contrast and came out a lot darker than expected :facepalm:

I then hit it with a Ushanti bone dry brush

Blocking in the metallics after is pretty easy followed by a thinned down agrax wash

I'm waiting on a soybean suitable contrast to paint the floor sections