A Mordian march to glory

duz_

No IG progress though a DKOK KT for KT2.0 is getting very tempting...

Got distracted from my other project for a strong urge to build this Canis Rex model I've had lying around for literal years (since they were released...)

Was a fun exercise in magnetising learnt a few new tricks. Not sure when I'll paint it though.

gallery_87434_11578_409513.jpg

It is all a service to the Emperor! (Or perhaps the Omnissiah)
If I recall correctly, this model comes with the pilot to be placed either within the knight or on its own base, did you also build the pilot? Just out of curiosity :)

Also as a side note, if you have things collecting dust, perhaps you could share those things with people who actually build them :P
On the building side my backlog is only 2020 and 2021, although on the painting side it is all the way back to 2018, we all have our shames :)

Only 2018? Those are some rookie numbers! :lol:

Actually I have offloaded several projects over the years to cut the back log. Including the rest of this knights household he was going to join. Now it's just him and 2 armigers from the original box release which I am also yet to build.

I did indeed build the pilot(s). The hatch isn't magnetised though I just glued some sprue on the inside as a tab to stop it popping off too easily. Seems to work well enough ;)

I know 2018 is a rookie number, but that was when I bought my first GW models, so it is only natural that the painting backlog only goes that far :P

Before 2018 my wage and GW's prices just didn't match which is quite common with portuguese wages to be honest.

It was a personal achievement to earn enough to buy some boxes of GW miniatures.

2018 was a nice year which reminds me that I need to finish all those half painted models when I finally settle in a permanent house (they are still boxed from when I had to move to Ireland), as I was very lazy with painting at the time and ended up procrastinating painting the models for a long time. Getting better brushes did help with my willingness to paint :D

You can actually see some of those partially models in my old thread in the R&H section (link in my signature) from when Cornelivs started as a former miner with a prize on his head and desire for killing aliens and cultists :)
Because it all started with 2 boxes of eschers and the old GSC battleforce. A lot happened since then and the collection grew beyond GW and beyond reasonable numbers of infantry models :D

Would be nice to see the pilot inside, maybe you can take a picture when you finally get it painted :)

It's the size of the Guard army in your heart that counts, not the one on your shelf ;) All the more so as shelf space is finite; heart space is not :P

I need to get back to my Knight plans, but all things in good time. They are no small projects after all but are always worth it, keep us updated Commissar! :tu:

It's the size of the Guard army in your heart that counts, not the one on your shelf :wink: All the more so as shelf space is finite; heart space is not :tongue.:

That quote deserves something special, but since the recent copyright discussion I decided to use something other than an inspirational Commissar, here is something for you:

Amazing quote by WarriorFish

This should be good enough to print and place on the wall of your hobby space :)

• 3 weeks later...

I've had some fun with the previous incarnation of KT. It started to unravel a bit as GW seemingly forgot what made it good (small troop numbers where the closest to a hero you got was a Sergeant) so maybe if this is a return to that we'll dabble again. This was especially true for Guard who struggled to counter the creep. Keep us updated :tu:

• 4 weeks later...

Well I assembled my DKOK kill team.

I had hoped the campaign book might suggest a standard build, but the best they offered was pictures of 2 different ones which didn't seem to gel for me. Assuming I read the rules correctly (they're written in the same horrible style as 9th which I can't stand to read) you pretty much get to take 1 of all the options up to 10 models. Regular riflemen being the only option you can take multiples.

I tried to build a somewhat thematic crew. With back field support covering the melta to blow up what ever the target is.

The sprues are nicely packed with lots of options and spares as you'd expect from the new kits.

The models went together fairly easily (a lot easier than the new sisters models!)

Not quite as universal as the Cadian line but still somewhat interchangeable. The heads are probably the least swappable since the gas mask tube has to line up with the chest and not all the neck mounts are the same.

I found this out when I made the medic on an alternate body and I had to trip the tube piece from the designated head and attach it to the medic helmet and trim the neck a little so the head sat more naturally.

Overall a great kit, hopefully we see more plastic DKOK kits!

gallery_87434_11578_346825.jpg

They seem nice and I think the head/tubes issues would likely be expected for most people, given how such parts are typically handled by GW.
How do they compare with other models in terms of scale/proportions? Are they just slimmer like most recent human infantry (BSF guardsmen and the likes)? Or are they taller than the older models like some stuff seems to be appearing nowadays?

Edited by GreenScorpion

Compared to the Gaunts Ghosts models where they were the same height as the new SoB models and kn 27.5mm bases these haven't suffered too badly from model creep.

Probably close to par with the current Cadians and slightly larger than my Mordians but smaller than the new sisters and still on 25s.

Which is good the scale of the GG models had me concerned about my Mordian collection...

gallery_87434_11578_327550.jpg

They look great, thanks for the pictures and write up Commissar :thumbsup: Sadly as I had long feared it wasn't new Tallarn my wallet is afraid of, but any new Guard line... Pray for me comrades that I may be strong!

Keep the updates coming, I'm sure you'll be keen to get them painted up soon anyway :smile.:

• 3 weeks later...

Whelp! I just signed up for a local 2 day GT 13th of November.

Don't know how to play 9th or if I have a painted army I can field for the event.

Guess I have some homework to do! Unfortunately I don't think I'll be fielding my guard my experiences so far in 9th with them have not been pleasant.

• 1 month later...

Well attended that GT with my Raven Guard and got curb stomped :ermm:

Ive posted a summary in my wip in the Ravenspire for those interested.

Since I have an semi impromptu 5 day weekend because of Thanksgiving and my missus is busy working I've finally started to tackle this beast!

I've been putting it off so I had a dedicated several days to focus on it and I'm still traumatised by my Storm Eagle build of 2020. :sweat:

gallery_87434_11578_207.jpg

As I started the dry fitting I realised I was going to need more tools:

gallery_87434_11578_91562.jpg

I picked up some clamps because as well all know resin isn't the straightest and some of the bows are in such thick parts I don't want to attempt to heat treat. I also got a 42tpi saw to cut away some of the mould gates which already has made life easier. After messing around with a file and sanding pad on one of the sides of the hulls I figured a plane would be easier. Fortunately the hobby store also had one so I grabbed it.

Now I'm prepared for more FW resin in the future.

I hope to have this assembled by the end of the week.

It is a really nice looking vehicle and the tank commander seems to fit perfectly in his place :)

What were the biggest challenges with this particular model? I know large resin models can be problematic to assemble due to bending and other issues, but it would be nice to learn from your experience with the kit.

Fortunately this kit there was minimal warping. The only parts I had to use the heat gun on was the small forward facing stubbers, engine cover and the front bumper bar (?).

Having the new tools definitely helped. Especially removing the large mould gates. Previously I used a generic hack saw and the cut was pretty coarse and more clean up was required.

Two biggest pains were:

1. There was a large section of the hull track contact, that would have prevented the track mounting flush. I first attempted with a heavy file and sand paper but that was tedious. The new planer helped get that inline with the rest of the panel.

2. This has happened twice to me now in two different models (the other being my Leviathan). FW doesn't provide instructions and order of gluing does seem to matter. I put the tracks on first. This was fine for more stuff the but the cap? That goes over the twin stubbers wouldn't fit with the tracks now securely glued in place. I managed to shave enough of the sides of it off to get it in without having to try and rip the heavily glued track off.

One minor quibble was the vanquisher Barrels dont actually have a solid connection to the barrel mount. I'm fact the mount has recessed holes for a pin to go in, but the barrel ends are flush. So I pinned them with paper clips and filled the gap with the gel super glue I use. So should be fine.

Other than that the usual resin gripes. Horrible mould lines, some minor gaps and having to be extra cautious clipping the brittle stuff off the sprue.

Hope that helps :tu: