m0nolith's Minotaurs

m0nolith

Haven't painted anything in a LONG time, so these guys took an absurd amount of time to paint to this point. Not finished yet tho. Still might fiddle a little more with the combi-bolters to give them some more visual appeal and still trying to figure out what to do with the bases to give them a little more character. That being said, the plan is to have a 1850 point list of these guys.

gallery_86352_11358_485757.jpg

While I'm figuring out what to do with the bases, also started a 3rd squad with older types of Mk8 armour (which for fluff reasons the Minotaurs have a plentiful supply of) and some Mk4 as well to mix with the first two squads for variety.

gallery_86352_11358_359700.jpg

Thank you all for the compliments biggrin.png

Damn that's a nice shade of bronze. It is now mandatory that you post a recipe. laugh.png

The bases though, I think you'd be better off going for something with higher contrast to the marines?

On the bases: I think thats a good idea. I was contemplating adding some ol school grey rubble interspersed with rusted pipes and metal pieces.

On the bronze: Well, if its mandatory, im happy to oblige tongue.png

Black basecoat. Aibrush a 50/50 coat of Hashut Copper and Warplock Bronze, then after you do that give it a heavy wash of Agrax Earthshade. Redo the 50/50 layer where necessary. Second layer is 70/30 Hashut/Warplock , third is 80/20, and the final coat being pure Hashut.

The key thing to do then is give it a coat of satin varnish. It removes the sparkly effect of the GW paints and gives it a nice shine that isnt too strong, giving it the aesthetic effect you see above. I brushed on the varnish (vallejo in this case), but this is very time consuming so ill probably airbrush the varnish on the next squad.

Finally the patina between the cracks and corners is simply Nihilakh Oxide and water in a ratio of 2 to 1. The reds are Mephiton Red and Khorne Crimson also in a ratio of 2 to 1.

The whole process is VERY time consuming, but this is my first army in more than a decade...check that, 15 years, so they are very much a labor of love.

This scheme is heavily inspired by the Minotaurs tutorial put out by Tartan Paint and I can not give enough credit to it. Google it if you get the chance!

I may put out a picture tutorial in the future, but no promises.

Very nice work. Whats you army list? Just curious so I can know what you are building and painting next.

HQ

Asterion Moloc

Techmarine + 3 Servitors

Elites:

Terminators - 5 x SS/TH, Land Raider redeemer + Extra Armour

Troops

Tac Squad - Melta, combi-melta, rhino

Tac Squad - Plasma, combi-plasma, rhino

Tac Squad - Plasma, combi-plasma, rhino

Heavy Support:

Tri-Las Predator

Storm Eagle ROC pattern

Total 1850 Points

The idea is to have Moloc with the hammenators in the LR. Techmarine is in the ROC, zooming around, blowing up enemy armour and regeneration hull points on 2+

After this squad is done I may give the rinos a try or I may just continue with the infantry and finish the Terminators. I got the Scribor Spartan storm shields for them to keep them fluffy, but I also have 5 Tartaros terminators which I would love to use but im still trying to figure out if I can get my hands on a set of SS/TH for them which are an incredible pain to find.

I also have some 30k Blood Angels to paint, so those are definitely going to grab my attention for a while, but this army will get done eventually.

• 1 month later...

Just a quick update.

Work is progressing fine on Tactical squad number three, and im liking the results. Im getting better at layering, so im definitely seeing improvements over the first two Tac squads.

I also redid the eyes on the first twenty guys to give them more character and im also in the process of redoing the patina on everyone to make it more noticeable and to have the contrast pop out more.

All in all, it seems that I'll probably have to invest 200 hours+ to finish these first 30 guys, and im already about 180 or so in already. Granted, 200 hours plus on three tactical squads may be obscene, but im learning and relearning so much that I forgot over the years that I have to say its time well spent!

This is all pretty much a learning process for me and im having a blast doing it biggrin.png

I figured if im going to come back to the game after a 15 year hiatus, I might as well get the hardest part of the paining (the core of the infantry) over and done with msn-wink.gif

The marines on the left and center are part of the first 20 who's eyes and patina I'v redone. The marine on the right is from the latest squad.

After these guys are done, im looking into some assault Terminators + Moloc, then a ton of vehicles...and then... 30k Blood Angels!

... Its going to be a busy year for me!

gallery_86352_11358_1332991.png

Constructive criticism is always welcome :D

I was on the fence for a long time about regarding the amount of oxide I want to use, but as soon as I redid one model I was immediately happy with the result!

The ones that I didn't redo yet just look slightly boring to me now compared to the new ones.

Love your minotaurs but I would at least step back if not step down from the verdigris. Don't get me wrong; In principle it looks good but I think it carries your miniatures in the wrong direction in regard to their overall look and style.

If you decide for a sheme and style for your army I find it most helpful to connect the look/style I want to create with a scene, picture or something else in mind that creates a feeling that you want to be embodied by this project. I think the green/blue breaks heavy with the fiery, red and cooper feeling and style of your army. In another project or another army that verdigris would fit but in my opinion its not really in harmony with the wrath, blood and fire style that goes along with the minotaurs.

Just my opionion ;)

Woah. I like them so much. Maybe use the verdigris on special chars or mainly on veterans? Would show the ancient armor. You could even coat a whole marine into it so it looks like a statue ;).

By the way: your approach for the color. Do you think it is adaptable for golden marines as well? Looking still for a good airbrush recipe for my wardens.

Woah. I like them so much. Maybe use the verdigris on special chars or mainly on veterans? Would show the ancient armor. You could even coat a whole marine into it so it looks like a statue msn-wink.gif.

By the way: your approach for the color. Do you think it is adaptable for golden marines as well? Looking still for a good airbrush recipe for my wardens.

Thank you for the kind words :)

Yes, I would imagine its adaptable to gold since its a metallic, but the key to it is actually the mix for the varnish afterwards.

After your done, brush on a mixture of 1:5 vallejo satin varnish to vallejo airbrush thinner.

It took a good amount of trial and error to figure this ratio out, but im liking the effect.

Be careful and take your time with it tho. Satin can be a lot less...forgiving, unlike matte and gloss.

That being said, im not sure about airbrushing the varnish on tho. I made sure to go over the red parts with matte and the metal parts with satin, but with a regular brush.

Love what you have done but i cant get my head around the verdigris....after all its only painted armour not armour made from Bronze....other than that bit o crit...great job and I will be following your work!!

msn-wink.gif

ty :)

When it comes to the verdigris and the way FW's arts assets represent them, it seems like the Minotaurs actually coat their armour with a layer of bronze instead of just painting them, letting them naturally develop verdigris giving them the bronze statue look. I think it was a very good artistic choice on FW's part.

Great work on your Minotaurs so far, love the eyes wub.png !

Can't wait for the Characters - will you do some Dreadnoughts too? What are your plans for the Terminators? Indomitus, Tartaros or Cataphractii?^^

Archived