The Hanged Man's Tarot

JackDaw

I haven't been what one can call 'active' these last couple of months, but it's nice to see that you've been doing good work as always. There are so many 'new' things for me that it would take me ages to comment them each and every one so I'll say no more than this: Splendid! 

Afternoon folks.

Mr Bear - Yeah I'm still working away here, kinda nice to be taking things slow and only work on a few models at a time. 40k and 30k as games and prospects are doing nothing at all for me and only Kill Team holds even the slightest appeal. Even then, I'd probably do Eldar for it as *whisper it* I'm pretty much sick of Astartes and GWs complete focus on them.

Got a few little bits and pieces done over the last few days - Steyn is fully painted and pictured, so his next post will come soon. I've also sorted a new arm for Cho and mentally sourced and sorted a few more ideas for the King and Queen cards. I also got kinda distracted by a potential for the Prince card which I might add, depending on how the model turns out.

http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac145/Jackdaw1982/The%20Hanged%20Mans%20Tarot/cbdd707f-2cc5-460a-9aaf-95bda3affc63_zpspitczldx.jpg

Cho's new arm - decided to use as much of the original model as possible, and now his uniform matches on both arms nicely. I also love the idea of him trying to do his job as a policeman when things are going way beyond his pay-grade and level of expertise, armed only with a crappy mark of laspistol. Bless him for trying to be a good man. Alongside him is the potential for the Prince card. Not going to go into too much detail about it now, but you can probably guess what it might be. I have some awesome little ideas and details for it though.

That's it for now I think, need to get some Scenes sorted out - I'll pop Steyn's completed pics up soon.

I feel you brother, my motivation have had a bit of a roller coaster ride these last couple of months aswell.  Still going to keep going with Astartes, but I will shift focus to 30k for a while, haven't done that before so it will be a new experience.

Looking forward to get Steyn's scene, and the rest sounds might promising aswell! Mighty promising indeed! 

http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac145/Jackdaw1982/The%20Hanged%20Mans%20Tarot/31641b28-27b3-4124-83a3-a26cca654e0b_zps6moyltux.jpg

http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac145/Jackdaw1982/The%20Hanged%20Mans%20Tarot/e0d5afd9-0504-4f04-b3ee-f02bcabdab96_zpseiswybw9.jpghttp://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac145/Jackdaw1982/The%20Hanged%20Mans%20Tarot/338682f9-84fc-4b86-b2c1-e3847f728a89_zpsgkp4jh6g.jpg
http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac145/Jackdaw1982/The%20Hanged%20Mans%20Tarot/72a6259b-bc0a-4d2c-8c3c-90c9ba751e0d_zpsvi7nwh8y.jpghttp://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac145/Jackdaw1982/The%20Hanged%20Mans%20Tarot/9cd1033c-5e23-4c15-b1b3-eda0db43dabd_zpsuuftcv9t.jpg

Morne Steyn; Soldier of fortune and possessed of few scruples or loyalty to the Imperium that protects him. Come to Haven in the service of Trinica Solari and concerning himself with matters of security pertaining to her guest and their intentions.

The Warden's come out well, Jack. Still miss his old model a little bit, but hey, the new one's pretty cool too. I like how you've done the scarring on the side of his face: it does remind me a lot of the Hound (which, if I remember correctly, was one of the intended inspirations.)

• 2 weeks later...

http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac145/Jackdaw1982/The%20Hanged%20Mans%20Tarot/32b9f488-45c3-4f6d-9047-ad0437c8fe08_zpsmjuxuf5u.jpg

~ Exterior; a landing pad on the rooftop of the Ordo Precinct House, located in the Fellglass District of Haven.

Stablights cut blinding tunnels of light through the iron-grey clouds and heavy curtains of rain that the cutter descended through as it slowly lowered itself towards the waiting rooftops of Haven below. Scarab shaped, prow a sloping visage of curved armour plates that flared back towards a swollen armoured belly studded with thrusters and flicking vanes, the cutter was an ochre coloured nugget in the dark, wet skies. Shuddering and jarring in the turbulent air, buffeted by high speed winds and rain that fell so heavily it was almost a waterfall, the cutter's engines growled in protest as the stablights searched and probed the rooftops for the welcoming insignia of the Ordos. Machine spirits hailed each other in binaric greeting as the questing stablight beams centred on the dark flattened rooftop of one particular building, idents and permissions being exchanged with machine efficiency. The hooded and squat forms of heavy-bore bolter turrets remained blessedly silent as the cutter began its descent, seeming to lower itself on the stablight beams that transfixed the rain-slick landing area.

The scarab-cutter spun on its axis before settling on insectile legs that unfolded from its belly, presenting its rear access ramp to the armoured portal that sat ominously closed to the rooftop. Growling engines stuttered to silence with a final shudder, leaving the hammering of rain on the armoured surface of the cutter the only sound for several long moments.

From behind the armoured portal, Scrivener-Forensic Kyril Feyn watched the impassive form of the cutter on a viewscreen, grainy footage provided by one of the gargoyle spies that crowded the rooftop. Long brass augmetic fingers tapped his hip as he regarded the falling rain with something approaching revulsion. He sighed as the viewscreen showed the access ramp of the cutter opening and pulled a rebreather mask up over his lower face, wrapped himself tighter in the long dark robes he wore. Stabbing a finger at the opening rune, Feyn swiftly stepped back from the portal as it opened to the rain, water already spotting the entrance way.

Three figures emerged from the belly of the cutter – one draped in a long stormcoat, another hunching futilely against the rain in a faded crimson jacket while the final was a slender pale thing that seemed to ghost through the downpour. A buzzing servo-skull accompanied them, anti-grav motors audibly whining as they fought against the sheer downward pressure of the rain. Crossing the few short metres to the portal, the three were swiftly soaked through and Feyn stepped back from them again, failing to hide the disgust that crept into his red-rimmed eyes. He flinched as the shorter one in the ridiculous crimson jacket clawed water from his face and hair and flicked it away, several drops hitting Feyn's robes. Now that they were closer, intimately close, Feyn realised the ghost was a woman in a pale white synskin. Moisture beaded and ran off her in rivers that were most distracting and off-putting. The stormcoat clad man tapped the Inquisitorial rosette affixed to his coat and looked at Feyn through a curtain of wet blonde hair, servo-skull humming at his shoulder.

"Santiago, representing Inquisitor Fennec. You know why we are here I presume?"

Feyn nodded, taking another step back from the spreading pool of rainwater on the rockcrete, eyes fixed on it as brass fingers twitched. A creeping note of hysteria entered his voice.

"Ah yes...yes. Inquisitor Franka. You're ah...ah here about... about uh..." His voice tailed off as he glanced at the water spotting the floor, brass fingers clicking and twisting over each other. The shorter dark-skinned agent pulled off his jacket and wrung it out, shivering as water spattered to the floor.

"Feth me, please tell me this is an unseasonal downpour."

"Unseasonal? Oh. Oh no." Feyn stared at the man, voice cracking as the creeping water reached out towards him. He began to edge backwards with twitching steps, pressing himself against the plasteel inner door. "We're in Melluary now. Autumnal equinox, this is as pleasant as it gets. This uh... this... isn't one of the Enclaves so no shielding, oh no. No shielding. Um. Hello sirs. Mamzel. Welcome to uh... welcome to the Soak."

~ End Scene

Evening everyone. Trying to keep the updates coming and stop you all getting bored/frustrated with pure fluff Scenes. Plus I had a rather productive weekend of poking hobby bits. Replies first though:

MrBear - Ha you're a braver man than I - every time I even consider assembling an Astartes or painting one, I shudder. Which is a shame in some respects because I've always wanted a White Scars army. Hope you enjoyed the fully painted Steyn.

Draakur - Thanks man, glad to hear you are enjoying the story as much as the models. Plenty more to come.

Brother Dallo - Cheers buddy. The blue does add some nice flavour to him, links him nicely to Solari as well.

The Psycho - Ha don't worry mate, the older version of Steyn is safe and sound in my bits box in all his old-man-Winter-Soldier glory. Maybe I'll do something with him at some point. I'm really happy with the scarring as well, adds a lot to him I think. And yep, a very deliberate nod to the Hound.

And so to progress! Well, some at least. I took another swing at what will be the model intended for the Knight card over the weekend. Going back to the original idea of a very tall type based on the reversed Dominus skirt-legs, I had a flash of inspiration and ordered a bunch of random AdMech bits. Feeling a lot happier about him now and he's defiantly closer to the picture I had in my head. Here's his very early start:

http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac145/Jackdaw1982/The%20Hanged%20Mans%20Tarot/d6b7a634-a40d-4f97-8377-4b83e19e4e84_zps2muzjfna.jpg

Got a couple of left arm options in mind, depending on whether I want him to have a longsword or spear - I'll do a few mockups tomorrow and post them up for your input. He adds some nice height to the overall collection of characters so far though. And with him there is a random dishevelled and barefoot chap - not going to say much more about him at this time.

C&C welcome as always folks - always value your comments and input.

Cheers
Jack

Steyn looks really good, that colour scheme is really well executed. You also made me laugh with the landing scene, the conversation about the weather had a nice comic touch.

The Knight looks very promising... yes.gif

Man I really need to get back to regular updates. Sorry folks, I keep getting very distracted by Born Of Ash so have only made small amounts of progress on the Tarot recently. Which sucks, I need to get more done for sure.

Battybattybats - Thanks man. The GSC cult bits are really versatile, and that was just a D:O one. Kinda tempted to pick up a box for the extra bits and pieces. Hopefully you like the progress on him too.

Mr Bear - Cheers buddy, took several attempts to settle on that scheme but I'm really happy with him. And there's always room for a little comedy in the Grim Darkness ;)

So, the progress. Overall, the next 9 characters are coming along nicely. 3 of them are done assembly wise and ready for paint and the other 6 are just needing finishing touches before they get to the same stage. I'll do a bigger roundup of them all later this week - other than the Tower, who will remain an enigma until you all get bored of it ;) The next full reveal will the Key as he has waited long enough, so I'm going get his intro Scene up by the end of the week and his fully painted pics soon as well - having reached a good point pause painting Aelves I can spend some time on him. I did spend a bit of time working on the Knight over the weekend, and got him to this stage:

http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac145/Jackdaw1982/The%20Hanged%20Mans%20Tarot/4b6d385b-a49a-468e-858f-db7e4910b0b5_zpsp7ty9vgk.jpg

The basic construction and shape is done, I just need to add some more esoteric bits and pieces to bring a little Haven oddness to him. I went for the spear in the end a visually he looked better with a taller weapon to accentuate his height, and in fluff terms he's so tall that a regular sword wouldn't have much reach. Pretty happy with how he's looking so far though.

Vaguely thinking about some more Cards as well - I feel Solari's band may need some reinforcement, the easy option being another of Steyn's mercenary crew. That might be a little boring though. I kinda fancy something Admech as well but the model I'd really like to use (the second generation Scavvy Leader) is rarer than unicorn teeth. So I dunno. There's no real rush at the moment anyway, 9 characters is plenty to get on with.

Thanks for your continued interest and comments guys, will be trying to update far more regularly.

Cheers :)

http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac145/Jackdaw1982/The%20Hanged%20Mans%20Tarot/9d50115d-72c4-4c5a-b068-afb97258e3dc_zpslatvouf8.jpg

~ Interior; The freight-hauler Ebisu's Bounty, crossing the Iron Crown Seas, on approach to Haven

Shoan Hail knows he is going to die. He has known this for the last two months of this crossing, since the thing that they called their passenger emerged from its cabin and began whispering to his crew. The Bounty has become a tomb-ship, a floating barrow for those who once worked the oceans of Adoracion with him and Shoan Hail only wonders whether he will see Haven before he dies. The pilots cabin has become his home - a brass-inlaid, grease-smeared and clockwork driven refuge from which he can only see the glow of augur-screens and the grey waters and skies of the Iron Crown Seas. Shoan Hail has not left this cabin for near three weeks now, and the smell of him is thick in the recycled air that labours through the scrubbers. 

The rest of the ship is silent, save for the groaning of the hull against the waves and the sclerotic hum of the engine drives as they force the freighter onwards. One by one, his crew listened to the whispers of the passenger and one by one they murdered each other or killed themselves. The whispers have become something like a virus or contagion, beyond Shoan Hail's ability to understand. He only knows that the passengers words are cursed. A man of imagination would say that the ship itself is dying without its crew, as though it were a living thing itself. Shoan Hail is not a man of imagination. He knows that Ebisu's Bounty is being eroded by the presence of its passenger and that this will be its final voyage. 

The flickering glow of the augur-screens tells him that the crossing is almost done - within a few hundred kloms of Havens sprawling mass of docks and shipyards, aging but functional machine-spirits would speak to the spirit of the Bounty and guide it in to its berth. Shoan Hail wonders whether the machine-spirit of the Bounty is still alive, still capable of communicating with its technological brethren, or whether the whispers of the passenger have corrupted it too. He reaches out bloodied-nailed fingers and toggles the heavy brass switches that turn navigation over to the Bounty, trusting in Haven as he always has to bring them through the rain and waves. 

The smeared and cracked glass of the navigation displays reflects the dull ochre smear of the passengers robes as it stands behind Shoan Hail, hunched and emaciated. He shudders as he feels it draw closer to him and run its long dry fingers over his greasy scalp, cradling his head like a mother cradles her babe. Binaric chattering fills the cabin as machine spirits converse and Ebisu's Bounty begins its final approach into the safe harbours of Haven. Shoan Hail feels no relief at the prospect of his journeys end - he only whimpers and twitches as the passenger cradles his head and begins to whisper-drip words into his open ears. 

~ End Scene

http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac145/Jackdaw1982/The%20Hanged%20Mans%20Tarot/c007d45f-2a6f-454a-b3a0-84dc20984f37_zps4gdpufzx.jpghttp://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac145/Jackdaw1982/The%20Hanged%20Mans%20Tarot/a20162c5-aae8-4a48-a64e-632f06b9ea6b_zpselnzmc9k.jpg
http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac145/Jackdaw1982/The%20Hanged%20Mans%20Tarot/d9de4a95-f560-49b2-986e-0da5a482e9c4_zpsvyffgbuq.jpghttp://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac145/Jackdaw1982/The%20Hanged%20Mans%20Tarot/ebc13be0-d897-4458-bb74-b7b8b52455b6_zps9ycrhisa.jpg

Solari's Guest; a being of fell power and puissance, passenger aboard a doomed ship entering the safe waters of Haven and bearing words best left unspoken.

Hey folks - how's the weekend been? Mine's been a weird mishmash of hangover and hobby production. I'll remember to eat properly at some point.

Kobrakei - Thanks mate :) And if you think the Knight is creepy, can't wait to hear what you think of the Key....

SanguiniusReborn - Cheers buddy. Hopefully you wont have to wait too long.

MrBear - Much appreciated mate, I'm trying to keep the fluff compact yet detailed, don't want to bore people with reams of reading, so its good to hear that I can pack a load of atmosphere into 500 odd words. And creepy is exactly what I wanted in the Key, so that's perfect. Oh, and Haven hasn't even seen the worse to come yet.

Rojo - Ha, perfect ;)

Got some painting done recently as well, which is always nice. Getting the Key finished means I'll have got half way through all the characters so far, which is cool, even if I am already thinking about more to add. Anyways, the Key is actually pretty close to done already, here's how he stands so far:

http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac145/Jackdaw1982/The%20Hanged%20Mans%20Tarot/4fa951da-1422-4842-9cb5-ffa035d0d304_zpskpzx6guf.jpg

The flesh on the right arm, feet and chest still needs a lot of work, and the glove is going to get redone in brown, but other than that I'm really happy with how he is coming along. He does add a nice touch of creepy and horror to the Tarot visually, which is good - I can tread a little too close to 'ordinary' with my =][=28 stuff sometimes so it's great to go a little weirder every now and then.

Aiming to have him finished up in the next few days, along with the finished assemblies of most of the other new characters. Trying not to get too distracted by other bits, like buying a load of GS cultists or extras for Born Of Ash - its not easy but I've stayed strong so far. Luckily, losing all interest in anything Astartes related means I must be one of the few people in the world not bothered about Burning Of Prospero or the plastic Daemon Magnus (if anything, they are helping to reinforce the fact I really have no interest in playing 40k at all anymore) though I assume like many I am tempted by the thought of turning a Sister of Silence into a Sororitas...

C&C welcome as always folks - always great to hear from you.

Cheers,
Jack

http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac145/Jackdaw1982/The%20Hanged%20Mans%20Tarot/f4cd9049-4e72-4c3a-9dc9-65cd1f1ccb97_zpsismdbcnw.jpg

http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac145/Jackdaw1982/The%20Hanged%20Mans%20Tarot/486f5263-0884-423c-b4c1-9dc65a8f3db2_zpsfmhagrud.jpghttp://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac145/Jackdaw1982/The%20Hanged%20Mans%20Tarot/ef557c33-a5b3-4a4e-8013-9a78b1ae01e5_zpsswj9dkn4.jpg
http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac145/Jackdaw1982/The%20Hanged%20Mans%20Tarot/94a3a88d-4cf1-47bd-8cb8-41116fd5edb9_zpsmxnssvfg.jpghttp://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac145/Jackdaw1982/The%20Hanged%20Mans%20Tarot/7c13977b-8e71-4dc7-b086-201919887543_zpslnwawplv.jpg

Solari's Guest; a most unwelcome visitor to Haven, the arrival of this puissant being and the ill-words it brings can bode only ill for all loyal subjects of the Throne in the Drowned City.

I literally only just realised the Key's feet aren't touching the ground, sweet Emperor, somehow that adds another level of creep factor to him. By the way Observer, the colour of the Key's attire, is that meant to be a reference to The King In Yellow?

Yep, The Key still looks creepy as censored.gif .Yellow was a great choice for the robes, it's nice to see something else than dark colours on a sinister character.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived