Legion of the Iron Lions Log: New Colors, MK VI

jbaeza94

Laid down the base gray and the big red and bronze portions. far from complete, but its what i knocked out for the day. i want t0 do hazard stripes over the cyclone missile launcher, but without tape idk if i have a steady enough hand. i might just give it a go for the assault cannon powerfist. paint yellow first, then hit the black right? any color i should base the yellow with? i know for bronze, khaki makes the bronze lay down pretty nice, i assume same concept would apply for yellow?

i would like some personal livery on the models, but i still need to think more about it. no painting tomorrow, field day, but i will be thinking about the color of details and liveries. i should be laying down all color by friday, monday will be wash and edge highlight. ill knock out the bases afterwards

gallery_86595_11085_102158.jpg

Oh man, that's a nice start already!

Go for the stripes mate! On such a small scale, slightly crooked lines won't matter at all. I usually start with a khaki base, like Rakarth flesh, and layer thin coats of Averland sunset on that. I'm paranoid about yellow and white, so i go for about 5 or 6 thin coats. Too many chunky paintjobs at the start of my hobbytime.

Do you shading/ highlighting or further gradients after that, it should be a breeze with your foundation of yellow. Correct any crooked lines with a couple of passes of (thinned down) black. Keep a moist brush at hand to wipe away any stray strokes immediatly, it makes it easier to tidy up you yellow if needed.

Well, to be fair, my scheme was inspired by a 30k iron warriors army I saw a loooong time ago. The original plan was a dark metallic color. After my first attempt, I realized I dont like painting metallic everything. So I went with a flat gray instead.

I don't plan on hazard striped being a common thing, but the art for one of the termies had a hazard striped power fist and I thought it looked cool. So I thought why not? Haha

Heck yeah! That's an awesome start. Make the black stripes a bit larger, and you're good to go on that area.

Since you have a super bright area next to a super dark area, a 40% yellow area to a 60% black area is visually more appealing. This has the benefit that you can tidy up those lines when you start with a 50/50 ratio.

• 9 months later...

Long time no post eh? Ok some news. I have a priority model to paint for the legion, yes I know others are still waiting for their turn to be finished. Forgive me brothers haha

So my roommate for Christmas decided to gift me a warhammer model, he knew I play space marines; and he bought something he thought was cool. So now I have a land speeder storm! Although I don’t believe the unit will ever see it play outside some narrative game, i definitely believe he would like to see my build/paint it.

So it’s bumped que and I will begin assembly tomorrow, and maybe get the vehicle painted Wednesday at work (I’m on standby from 06300 to 2230, with no work to do from 1630 till closing)

So I’d like some ideas on how I could show him my appreciation to him through the model. What do y’all think?

• 1 month later...

Ok so update! I’ve been a busy bee. I finally got the land speeder assembled, as well as 99% of indomitus! The land speeder will be receiving my camo pattern, since it is a scout/vanguard vehicle. Hopefully soon i’ll be applying the paint

167EFF49 CA67 4835 85D5 58BF4699356D

2007B2A1 3D97 433A 9934 2BA40D41F3FC

0CD71AB5 C225 4459 8B2C 42944992C5DA

As far as indomitus, I’m waiting for my squad designation icons to arrive so that I can glue those on to the shoulders. I also ordered some winged helmets for the captains, and may apply to the Lt as well, that’s tbd though. Outrider wing fairings and wing banner is also part of the shipment and it will complete my ravenwing decorations. I also got an iron hands upgrade kit for the sweet mechanical upgrades and decorations. I think they’ll fit aesthetically with the theme of the Iron Lions.

originally I was gonna not use any wings or robes, but then bladeguard happened... so I’m kinda leaning into it now. Classic DA with a mechanical twist. Got some sweet ideas for Sgts using the tabard bodies from kromlech (when I eventually get not monopose primaris)

In additional off topic news, my gf enjoyed watching me build the marines from indomitus so I let her build the necrons. She likes it but she didn’t want to make necrons as an army though. So I showed her a few start collecting box kits and she chose the tau. This means I got a new hobby partner ! Hopefully she will enjoy painting as much as she does building haha. Also hopefully this will keep my gears going for my own army

Edited by jbaeza94

That's awesome!! Having someone right there with you to share the hobby should be great.

... Why T'au though? D:

(Just kidding)

(But only kinda... Why is it always T'au? Every gf-joining-in I have EVER read or known about, always goes for T'au... Those blue bastards are up to something)

Congrats on sucking someone else into the money-pit that is Warhammer :lol:

That's awesome!! Having someone right there with you to share the hobby should be great.

... Why T'au though? D:

(Just kidding)

(But only kinda... Why is it always T'au? Every gf-joining-in I have EVER read or known about, always goes for T'au... Those blue bastards are up to something)

It's the anime mecha look

So while my gf assembled her first fire warriors, I decided to put these guys together. I’ve had these for a while, and with the introduction of bladeguard, well I already know where they fit in. I used the indomitus captain heads for them instead of the eagle faced helmets. The Us will just be personal heraldry. Maybe they’re twins who were recruited together. Maybe they’re relic gifts from the ultras. TBD lol

12C8ABC1 C7E1 44E9 85E5 BE71F8778D67

• 2 weeks later...

Icons finally came in, as well as my ravenwing bits. Also my iron hands upgrade kit for those sweet heads and arms

Here are the Iron Guard Outriders racing into battle. These wing kits were really easy to work with. Same with the assault cross. The legion badge not so much, it’s too tall. However it overlaps a little the pauldron on these adorned pads (left and right have different designs on outriders, hq, and bladeguard). It adds a cool look and seems to fit in I think so it’s staying. 

Some quick lore to refresh some memory. The Iron and Lion Guard are the elite centuries (companies)of the Iron Lions. These centuries serve as both ravenwing and deathwing, mission dictating, for their respective cohort.As these marines are Cohort Ferrum (as is the case with most primaris of the Iron Lions), their left shoulders will be black to signify their cohort alignment and their right will be silver to signify their elite status as members of the Iron Guard

3F6F171C BF5E 427A 9B86 FD43084F90B9

Although the augmented head of the chaplain fits the iron lions aesthetic, I swapped it for a riever helmet for a classic look. The head will be recycled into some line infantry. 

2C76F8DF 4D5D 4C1C 9A2F 3523D44E8CA7

and finally the company master, or centurion. I always liked the wing helmet that Balthasar had, so I’m glad this sculpt has that style. I really don’t like the wings that are perpendicular to the helmet.

9B644E02 A204 478B ADCF 6DCB326F2C52

• 2 weeks later...
So I made this small “kitbash”. I’m really happy with it, and I really think the dead necron suits the tech marine. Just wondering which pose would be best.

option 1: he stands triumphant over the body/is advancing towards it

4D8AFE2A 4758 4F33 B98E 3E7654E5BCE4

option 2: he has already slain him and is walking past him

0F610D64 67BD 464E ABDF 80080627DEC9

AE38C90E 6733 4B00 B5CE F13DF830267C

don’t mind the pieces of the base that aren’t properly trimmed. It was quickly thrown together to see if the base worked 

• 1 year later...

You start to resemble our forum's Cypher. Pop in, tease us a bit with WIP-pictures and disappear again for a couple of centuries.

Nevertheless, looking great mate! Nice to see that the Blood Ravens aren't the only looters in the galaxy :biggrin.:

Now for the painting competition, I have a few ideas but I’d like to run them by you guys.

I have an Iron warriors contemptor that I bought like 6 years ago that I think would be a good fit. I was thinking going Arbiter (chaplain) initiate, chaplain , chaplain contemptor dreadnought

Personally I love the look of of the primaris chaplain… but can they be put in a contemptor?

If so, my thoughts are going to be get an intercessor and add some markings the denote is he chosen for the chaplaincy, skulls and death symbols. Maybe a reiver helmet

If not, im thinking doing a mk4 space marine and “upgrading” him to the chaplain from the betrayal at calth box. Both roads lead to the dreadnought

Thoughts?

• 2 months later...

I’m all over the place aren’t I? I’ve done a lot of soul searching. I’m changing my color scheme, gray just isn’t for me. My iron lions were meant to be dark metallic color but my geolocation made the paint hard to get so i settled on gray.  After a few squads, I decided it’s not the way I would like to proceed. Luckily I never got too far with these guys… more to come. still alot to go to finish the squad, but here’s some wip

DC2786A7-0706-457D-99CB-B1D146FC994D.jpeg

23A88CAF-C22A-44BF-9F09-F39018D2FAC3.jpeg

82C0DD27-6F06-4BEF-94AD-9C45B989AC05.jpeg

8DD6B878-E0C5-4CDC-A20C-910471954FCE.jpeg