Legion of the Iron Lions Log: New Colors, MK VI

jbaeza94

55 marines... 55 marines to paint... Sweet Caliban, that is a lot of hours working on tiny plastic men. 2017 will be a busy year for you.

Good luck man, I do not envy you :laugh.:

Holy cow. I thought i was crazy for having so much just waiting, but i guess there is always someone with more :smile.: Where is that painting servitor when you need him... ha

I keep letting Elmo wander off and do his own thing...

And see what the consequences are. I've heard from reliable sources that our Servitor has been working for xeno Blue-skins...

I'm with Arkley here, I can't believe I've never commented on your thread. Could be sworn I had at some point

Anyways, wow, you are stacked with different armour marks, howd you come across all of them?

I love that company master, and thats a great read about the titan. Again, things I thought I'd commented on lol

Grc,

A busy year indeed! I just hope to finish this year haha

Greenz, thank you brother!

As to how I came across so many, well, forge world :) ha. But really, it was all from my deployment money. Having a bunch suddenly makes it easier to make such a large purchase... ill admit now that i look back on it not sure if it was the best choice after seeing calth and prospero haha

20170113 155907

They're not done by far.  But i wanted to show progress. I base coated the squad and added a zenithal highlight.  I painted the left shoulder pads with zenithal highlights as well.  I had some maskol so i thought I'd try it on the head and shoulder pads to paint the gold/bronze on the mk2 and mk3 armors.  It worked ok. Some clean up to do on them.  I'll probably do the trim by hand next time. Rightt shoulder pad will be purple on this squad. I'd do more but I'm booked fir the rest of the day. I'll probably do more tommorow 

• 4 months later...

Restart and redo. I'm changing up the scheme a bit. The metallic dark silver was not working. I didn't like working with it, and neither did my airbrush. I'm going flat colors instead. No color helmets either, it makes it too busy, and I didn't like it too much. Well here's the first test model, I dub him, the Primer Space Marine

IMG 0020

Not bad. I wasn't planning on putting the bolter originally and you can see the arm is a little off. In my mind he's just in the middle of a reload ha. This is before any shading. I tried something crazy, that may or may not work, but I read about it. Use pledge to protect the mini, then spray these 2 on it.

IMG 0021

1/2 and 1/2. I put a little more rust than I should of. In hindsight I should of returned it to the pot, oh well. This is what it looks like now 

IMG 0022

I know it looks like a Minotaur now, but that's ok... kind of. In an hour I'm supposed to rub it off with a downward motion. I hope he still looks gray in the end, but it'll be a good experiment none the less 

edit: well it's been about an hour since I applied it. Here are the results 

IMG 0032

IMG 0030

It was actually a little hard to get to some of the spots but I think it doesn't look too bad. Lessons learned:

less rust next time, lighter coat as well.

i think the brown will fit right in with my basing idea, a marsh/ swamp base. I'm going to base this guy soon, see how it comes out.

Edited by jbaeza94

So i started the basing. here's what i ended up with.

18836096 1900660330147465 1754123316 O

18836162 1900660910147407 1026453933 O

All in all not bad i guess. not completely happy with the foliage or dirt color, so ill need to play around with it a bit more. its my first time working with the water stuff so i didnt know how it would turn out. lessons learned, use green/teal instead of blue for the floor on the water. also, i need to find a better way to secure the minis to the base. super gluing to the rocks isnt really cutting it. tips?

Edited by jbaeza94

Say what you want, but that looks good! I can't see your issues with the basing, looks good as is. The mini itself looks even better in the right lighting. The grime is a great way to compensate for the lack of highlights. And not bothering with highlighting saves a buttload of time & effort. Damnit, I was looking forward to that beer.

i did try to do some zenithal highlighting, but it iwasnt very obvious, and practically impossible to see after the grime. i appreciate your kind words though GRC. now im in the process of getting some decals ordered from the same place arkley does, fallout hobbies. ill refrain from using the grime stuff for now, so i can apply the decal under it. 

i did try to do some zenithal highlighting, but it iwasnt very obvious, and practically impossible to see after the grime. i appreciate your kind words though GRC. now im in the process of getting some decals ordered from the same place arkley does, fallout hobbies. ill refrain from using the grime stuff for now, so i can apply the decal under it. 

Sorry, I didn't mean Zenithal. I never bothered with that, so I sometimes forget it exists. And with a lightsource from above, it's hard to know on picture if it's intentional or natural highlighting. I meant the tiresome edge highlighting. Ditching those saves so much time and patience.

Hey guys, moving forward I need to rethink my initial plan. With us not failing morale, and no longer needed alot of units for those free transports, is 5 man squads still the way to go? My initial plan called for 6 5 man tac squads, 2 5 man assault, and 2 5 man dev squads. I could beef up the tac squads to 10, or have a bunch of smaller squads. I can also increase the size of one assault squad to 10 or have 3 5 man squads.

Is there a reason to go min vs max? I'm not a waac player, and probably will be doing narrative games most of the time, if that makes a difference

IMG 0035

So I got 9 marines waiting for the base coat. It will complete my first tac squad. Going triple plasma on this one. This plasma cannon, I already know it's going to give me a hard time assembling it. It was primed black on the sprue a long time ago, and the paint is keeping the parts from adhering. I had to resort to krazy glue. Devs always give me a hard time 

• 1 month later...

so i completed the paladin challenge today. this guy gave me trouble. his head became lost (cleaning lady tossed it unknowingly). luckily i had the vet sprue and found this neat head. im happy with the green stuff poncho cloak thing. its my first attempt, and i think i did alright. after painting him, i tried to do the wash and weathering again. i forgot to add in the rust effect paint though, so basically i just sprayed black wash over the whole thing... so i pretty much had to go over the whole model again because it was way too dark. after going over, i just used the rust effect paint and this was my final result. new things i tried was the lightning effect on the sword. i tried a few edge highlighting spots, to get some practice in, primarily on the bronze, but its not very noticeable. i also did a bit on the belt buckle and holster to outline it. i put a tree on this guy's base, its held by green stuff on the bottom. hes kinda like steeping on it, or pushing it back with his sword arm. 

19688549 1916046045275560 1367944242 O

19807343 1916046448608853 1988341414 O

20170720 190528

20170720 190213

i also got my order shipped from fallout for my decals. what do you guys think of the chapter badge and squad icons? for the squad icons i wanted DA icons, but i wanted them to have a mechanical nature to them. for the chapter badge, it again shares the DA and mechanical theme of the chapter. i will be adding the decal to the minis as soon as they arrive.

Untitled