Legion of the Iron Lions Log: New Colors, MK VI

jbaeza94

I made it in Microsoft word using a heirarchy chart. It was more work than it needed to be. Everything was always shifting around. Arkleys photoshop one might be an easier fix because of all the layers.

And yes the chevron would be bigger. Since alot of my models will have mk2/mk3 helmets, the chevron will go across their face .

Oh! that, i found the template online, then used a website https://www.photopea.com/. its like online photoshop.

i tried to do an inking art style (ive been seeing alot of videos on drawing on youtube, i just tried to mimic what i saw online). im not an artist, but i think i got the concept from just watching people paint fun pictures.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0Bx6pC-tzilbIYTNGc21hSExRQ2c

i used this template, fount it on B&C.

keep in mind, i had no Photoshop experience prior to this. just play with the tools and zoom in alot. how detailed you want to go is up to you. originally i had only the one flat color, then moved to a base, a dark, and a highlight

Edited by jbaeza94

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

So I just did a primer in leather brown.

Tomorrow after it cures I'm gonna try a new scheme. Multicam.

My plan is the following:

Base in khaki

Place small poster putty blobs over the mini. I mean real small

Spray dark green spurts in select areas.

Remove some blobs, add new ones.

Spray leather brown in select areas.

Remove all blobs.

Add small specks of dark flesh tone and cold grey around the model

Wash in agrax earthshade

Paint in the details, add the 12 century vanguard markings on the right knee (9th company DA marking, white background with black stripe). All typically bronze bits will be painted black

Should shoulder pads be cohort colors (black for 12th century, red for 11th) or should they stay camo and just place the chapter badge over it

Base Coatgallery_86595_11085_646881.jpg

Adding Poster Puttygallery_86595_11085_848409.jpg

Spraying the Dark Green

gallery_86595_11085_955454.jpg

gallery_86595_11085_298319.jpg

So here is where i goofed. leather brown is not a good color for a darker brown. it blends in too much with the khaki. i ended up using dark flesh tone as a main color instead of as the spots. used black for spots

gallery_86595_11085_747844.jpg

oof number 2: i spilled some paint :( but then i added the gray spots! all done with the pattern!

gallery_86595_11085_652762.jpggallery_86595_11085_731566.jpggallery_86595_11085_343547.jpg

added a wash

gallery_86595_11085_1242594.jpg

thats it for tonight. was very quick pattern to paint. i can vary the order of green and brown for different results in the future. no more leather brown because its blends the browns too much. in hindsight, maybe i should have waited to wash...

i still dont know if ill try to free hand the chapter symbol over the camo shoulder, or paint the shoulders black for Cohort Leonus. i need to add the right knee pad century scheme, and pick out the details. metals will be black, pouches will be dark flesh tone, grenades will be green, bolt gun will stay cohort colors and dark metallic gun case. hope yall are liking this experiment

i think im calling it for now. im not doing the usual grime wash i typically do. this was a proof of concept, and i think it worked out! i didnt edge highlight, i think i could do some basic stuff on the pouches, knife, and bolter. i wouldnt do any on the armour. i dont any extra bases since i got this pack for free without bases

lessons learned, i need to practice my free hand. i am terrible.

head needs to be on when i paint.

wash at the end to bring everything together.

hope you guys like it!

gallery_86595_11085_161635.jpg

gallery_86595_11085_361874.jpg

For those wondering, this is the inspiration for the camo pattern

gallery_86595_11085_245640.jpg

Edited by jbaeza94

Us army, airforce, and soon space force wear this with a little more green in the pattern. Crye precision, creator of the camo, makes the above. It is also a popular pattern amongst firearm/survival enthusiasts in America, for how well it blends in many environments from brush to Woodlands

Looks real good! No small feat, since camo on mini's can look confusing real fast.

For the freehand, practice on some plasticard first. You're making it hard for yourself by going straight to the pads.

And some personal nitpicking: the grenades, belt buckle and pistol could use some more colour, even if just a light grey highlight.

I appreciate it grc,and yeah it's something I realized after I started. But I committed and decided to just give it a shot ha. I'm definitely gonna try to create the badge on plasticard in the coming days

And like I mentioned, these were more proof of concept. I actually won't be using them, since they're the only 2 reivers I have. I'll finish them properly if I ever need 2 more.

I would use stonewall gray on the belt and bolter, maybe even the chest skull. Leather brown on the pouches, chair mail on the blade and bolter, and for the grenades, I'd wash in nuln oil and lightly touch up the tips in light green. Same with the purity seals but in purple.

• 3 weeks later...

I will! I found some neat heads online that I'm gonna give a shot.

https://puppetswar.eu/desert-reapers-heads.html

They have other ones that are similar that I will be using on other phobos marines if these turn out well. I dont like the idea of no helmets, and I think these fit the look of incursors well enough. Might even use them on some infiltrators.

https://puppetswar.eu/desert-raiders-heads-951.html

However, while i wait for those, I'm going to start my space marine heroes 2 box. The Lion Guard (deathwing) will walk soon. Got some servo skulls from kromlech on the way to complete the look, and I'm going to try my hand and greenstuffing some cogs.

After that, dark imperium set will be next priority, followed by my demi company of marines.

Edited by jbaeza94

The first 3 legionaries of the Lion Guard. Still don't know who will be the Sgt, servo skulls are signs of leadership, but thunder hammers are cool.

i will take them off the base for painting, and will attach at the end. same with the shield. ill get to the rest on monday

med_gallery_86595_11085_1045043.jpg

These are the rest of the guys. the captain will be a lieutenant lore wise, sgt game wise. who should be the second sgt? i have more servo skull to add to the leaders if needed

med_gallery_86595_11085_1647584.jpg

Edited by jbaeza94