Welcome to....

gallery_2760_11609_25500.jpg

The purpose of this thread/blog is to follow my progress with Khorne Daemonkin, and to hopefully provide some entertainment along the way in the form of painting projects, and playing lots of games with the Daemonkin.

Why am I doing this?

I have played Chaos for millions of years (or it just feels like that) and in the past year (2015) I took a break from Chaos Space Marines specifically. My favorite mark / patron has always been Khorne. But as time went on and no codex appeared to be in sight, I felt the best way I could serve Khorne would be to simply implement the Khorne Daemonkin Codex into my Khornate units (Chaos Space Marines, Berzerkers, Characters, etc.)

I wanted to start from ground zero and provide coverage of my opening moments launching into the project and see just how deep the rabbit hole goes on the Daemonic side of Khorne. Hopefully you will find some thing of value in here as I share this process with you.

What is in here?

Just like my past threads of this nature I hope to include:

- Fiction reviews related to Khorne Daemonkin (I get a ton of motivation from great 40K story telling and love getting feedback on this as well.)

- Painting projects. ( I do try very hard to keep a sort of schedule or else we all end up with what I've deemed 'the Closet of Shame'. Let's paint some figs)

- Gaming and tactica. My friends/play groups do vary a lot in ability and 'fluff and competitive'. I love all types of games so I hope to share some of this with you as well.

Thanks for checking this out. Feel free to click 'follow' and hopefully I'll give you reason to come back....

med_gallery_2760_11609_8934.jpg

+++ PAINTING and WIP's +++

+++ WIP Project 1 and 2: Gore Pack and Blood Storm and some more goodies o' Khorne: +LINK+

+++ Completed painting my KDK Heldrake! Flames for the Flame God: +LINK+

+++ Completed painting a squad of 10 Flesh Hounds of Khorne: +LINK+

+++ Completed I took some time on this Bloodthirster of Unfettered Fury and loved the kit. +LINK+

+++ Completed Chaos Skull Cannons. Finally something I can summon that won't fail 4/5 times! +LINK+

+++ Completed Khorne Lord on Juggernaut! (Vurkoze the Blood Stalker) I finally finish the must have unit that just keeps giving. +LINK+

+++ Completed World Eater / Khorne Rhino. Just make sure to dodge the dozer blades... they're a touch unclean. +LINK+

+++ A teaser pic: The Bloodthirster and his little Bro' and a preview of the battle to come.... +LINK+

+++ Completed a squad of 10 Bloodletters, including Blood Banner and Instrument of Khorne. +LINK+

+++ Completed a squad of Possessed; the Death Knell. The hunters that clear the path for Vurkoze. +LINK+

+++ BATTLE REPORTS +++

+++ 1850 Battle Report: Prot's KDK vs. Space Wolves: Emperor's Will, with some pictures. Trust me, there is no shortage of blood flow in this one: +LINK+

+++ 1850 Battle Report: Prot's KDK vs . Astra Militarum: Maelstrom, steal Objective X. Pictures as usual: +LINK+

+++ 1850 Battle Report: Prot's KDK vs Orks: Maelstrom, hidden objectives. Lots of Pics. +LINK+

+++ 1850 Battle Report: Prot's KDK vs Tau CAD: Maelstrom. I try a Kytan, and a Jugglord! Assault meets shooty; how could this go wrong? +LINK+

+++ 1850 Battle Report: A Re-match!! KDK vs Space Wolves again. Two things are a given- Lots of Blood, and lots of Skulls. +LINK+

+++ 1850 Battle Report:: Prot's KDK vs Tau. This time it's 2 riptides vs 2 Bloodthirsters. This one comes down to the last turn. +LINK+

+++ For Fun! Versus: Ever wonder who would come out ahead between an Ultra Bike Captain and a KDK Jugger Lord? Check it out: +LINK+

+++ 1850 Battle Report: Prot's KDK, featuring Fist of Khorne, vs. the new Ork Decurion: +LINK+

+++ 1850 Battle Report: ITC Scenario 1: KDK goes toe to toe with Necrons: +LINK+

+++ 1850 Battle Report: ITC Scenarion 2: KDK vs Tau with lots of giant robot fish. +LINK+

+++ 1850 Battle Report: Maelstrom. I try an experimental dual Blood Host and Brazen Onslaught vs a Necron Decurion list. +LINK+

+++ TACTICA +++

+++ Issues with Summoning. It seems RAI -could- conflict with RAW. What's your take on this issue? +LINK+

+++ Bloodthirsters, and Daemon Princes. The good, the bad, the ugly. Which do you prefer? +LINK+

+++ Juggernaut Chaos Lords: How do you like yours? Check out some pictures of our collective JuggerLords and some strategy talk as well in this thread. +LINK+

+++ Going Deep Red: a competitive Khorne Daemonkin conversation. How can we hope to be competitive in an era of shooty, dodgy, unkillable death stars? Please feel free to contribute to the conversation. +LINK+

+++ FICTION +++

+++ A very small background piece on Vurkoze the Blood Stalker (my Jugger-Lord): +LINK+

Thanks for the support Dos. I'll do my best to keep the blood train rolling...

Right now I have a wicked 'to do' list. It starts with taking massively stalled projects that just aren't working out with my CSM and seeing if I can... 'rediscover' some fun, and hobby interest with some of them:

Super WIP To Do #1:

med_gallery_2760_11609_75323.jpg

+++ Okay so here we have some of my favorite models that are just downright horrid in many ways, and some are mildly useful. In KDK I'm hoping to use these (even for fun) in Khorne's Bloodstorm. (2 units Raptors, 1 unit of Warp Talons). +++

The idea would be to combine the Bloodletter's Instrument of Khorne with the Banner to get 'instant' reserves, with no scatter maximizing the efficiency of the Blind Rule. Also Raptors with dual Melta isn't horrible. This is also a gateway to using a Heldrake with the Blood Host Detachment.

Super WIP To Do #2:

med_gallery_2760_11609_314783.jpg

+++ Bikes that never saw a lot of playtime in the last year, a Daemon Prince, and a rarely used Soul Grinder +++

Here is a good chunk of the Gore Pack. Since the bare minimum is going to be 2 min sized bike squads, and one Blood Hound squad. It's a good formation imho. It's quite a to do list.

Well, you'll be keeping yourself busy! Are those already basecoated red because they were previously destined to be Crimson Slaughter? Actually, are you still going to roll with the CS in your KDK army or will you be collecting another faction?

Anyway, very much looking forward to seeing more :tu:

The first completed item specifically for this army. At one time this was an Iron Warrior Heldrake but I never liked how it looked. Since I had it I've worked on this piece, but it was only when I decided to do a 'burning ember' kind of look for some of the more daemonic KDK stuff that I actually enjoyed the finished product.

gallery_2760_11609_228859.jpg

gallery_2760_11609_444318.jpg

gallery_2760_11609_203068.jpg

I'm really happy with how it turned out. I refuse to spend too much time on something. It's going to be a case of me moving on from unit to unit. In the past I was always stuck on models for hours but I've learned with my Ultramarines that there is a great reward in moving on and fielding a decent looking army, rather than having 1-2 squads done and a closet full of boxes. :)

Thanks for checking it out.

Well, you'll be keeping yourself busy! Are those already basecoated red because they were previously destined to be Crimson Slaughter? Actually, are you still going to roll with the CS in your KDK army or will you be collecting another faction?

Anyway, very much looking forward to seeing more thumbsup.gif

Some are actually predating my CS army. I have a very large Khorne CSM collection... dating back some years but I sold about 90% of it off in the last year or two. So I've taken some of the unfinished stuff that is still relevant, and now I'm placing orders/collecting the more 'daemonic' units I need to make this army functional.

I'm really looking forward to it. Right now it feels like a way to still play my Chaos stuff and be somewhat relevant. lol

I'm really happy with how it turned out. I refuse to spend too much time on something. It's going to be a case of me moving on from unit to unit. In the past I was always stuck on models for hours but I've learned with my Ultramarines that there is a great reward in moving on and fielding a decent looking army, rather than having 1-2 squads done and a closet full of boxes. :)

Quoted for truth and something I'm trying to implement in my painting choices. It's tough going though once you're used to fretting over (almost) every single little detail.

I've never liked the Heldrake model, but you've done a decent job with it so kudos for that. What can we expect next?

I'm really happy with how it turned out. I refuse to spend too much time on something. It's going to be a case of me moving on from unit to unit. In the past I was always stuck on models for hours but I've learned with my Ultramarines that there is a great reward in moving on and fielding a decent looking army, rather than having 1-2 squads done and a closet full of boxes. smile.png

Quoted for truth and something I'm trying to implement in my painting choices. It's tough going though once you're used to fretting over (almost) every single little detail.

I've never liked the Heldrake model, but you've done a decent job with it so kudos for that. What can we expect next?

The Heldrake is a strange beast. I admit when the release came for that model and the Fiend variants I actually made fun of them.... the metal dinosaur I think I called it. Something... maybe the Chaos in me tweaked and now I thoroughly enjoy the uniqueness of the models.

That being said the Heldrake might be one of the more arduous models I've ever painted (right up there with a Necron Ghost Ark imho). So I'm just really glad to have it done.

Your quote of truth... I take that as a compliment. I have had periods of my hobby time where I fretted over every detail, and it becomes debilitating in my opinion. Seriously I think it can rob the fun out of your hobby, and next thing you know you had these grand plans for an army and it just never happens. I think that really sucks. Push through it my friend... get models on the table and watch how it changes your expectation AND enjoyment level of the hobby overall. :)

Nice colour on the Drake.

Thanks! It's actually pretty weird how I came to this feeling of doing 'burnt embers' on the wing plates. I NEVER would have attempted it with my CSM, but I thought, man this thing is a friggin beast. It's a possessed beast from a hellish warp... why does it have to be a 'traditional' Chaos Chapter/Legion colour? It doesn't.... and in my mind thinking of it as a 'Daemon' changed the way I approached it entirely.

As for the next thing... I was stumped on a Daemon Prince, and the mindset change I had for the Helldrake is seemingly working for my Daemon Prince. Really enjoying some finishing touches on him, but as is my mantra, I'm refusing to slave over him. I think I'll call him 'done' soon enough and move on as I have a game coming up with these guys shortly and I have to proxy a little more than I'm typically comfortable with.

Wish me luck, and thanks for checking it out.

Your quote of truth... I take that as a compliment. I have had periods of my hobby time where I fretted over every detail, and it becomes debilitating in my opinion. Seriously I think it can rob the fun out of your hobby, and next thing you know you had these grand plans for an army and it just never happens. I think that really sucks. Push through it my friend... get models on the table and watch how it changes your expectation AND enjoyment level of the hobby overall. smile.png

Wow, all too familiar for me. It's 3 years into the hobby and I have just about nothing painted still.

Nice start Prot, looking forward to seeing your army progress. Great red and gold on the Drake cool.png

EDIT - have you decided on a Warband? One from the KDK codex or of your own making? (I myself run the Hounds of Abaddon using the KDK book)

Thank you. I made some progress this weekend, and actually posted up a batrep vs. Space Wolves. Let the learning curve begin!

Warband? Very good question. I had bought the Gamer's Edition of the codex for my iPad, but once I decided to go full Khorne, I picked up the hardcopy this weekend and was pleasantly surprised to find some very cool fleshing out of the KDK generally speaking. The story of the "8 Bloodthirsters" was pretty cool. To show there is some form of hierarchy and some sense of order to their butchery was interesting.

All the warbands sound very cool. I thought of my own, but I do like the idea of the 8 Scarred (or whatever they're called).

I'm still thinking about it as I build/play my force and become more familiar.

I'm working on assembling some Khorne Cannons right now... quite a busy model. Hopefully I'll have them ready to paint within the week. I want to finish the DP featured in the batrep too as he's close enough to done I could just move on probably.

Hounds of Abaddon is a cool idea. I do have the Black Legion codex as well but I can see myself slowly moving away from a heavy marine involvement as they feel too inefficient right now after HQ choices it gets thin.

Somehow I'd love to get even limited Termies involved, eventually (I have had that FW Termie guy forever). But first I have a ton of daemonic elements to get on the table so I can put away that Bloodstorm Auxiliary for a while!

The drake looks nice.

Will you be continuing that pattern onto the warp talons and similar models?

Thank you, but probably not that hardcore into the burning look.... I do like it, and will spread it out more into the main line of my CSM but to be honest something like... marines less so than a truly daemonic unit.

To be honest the Warp Talons are getting pulled. I posted a Batrep up in the forum with some pictures. (It's linked in the first post of the thread) and it was a real grind. I don't want to break it down too much here in the hobby thread but let's just say that formation is getting ditched for a while. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I am working hard on a few KDK projects at once because I have to go back and forth between various techniques I like to use... this means it usually takes me a while to complete something, but usually a few things get completed at once.

I think my Daemon Prince is done.... but for sure I'm calling these Flesh Hounds completed! (Wow, what an expensive squad!)

gallery_2760_11609_516024.jpg

gallery_2760_11609_401696.jpg

gallery_2760_11609_299005.jpg

I put some real time into this guy and it's a great sculpt. The rules aren't very good, but it's iconic to me and the 'sucker' in me will probably try to field one or two of these baddies whenever possible!

Bloodthirster of Unfettered Fury

med_gallery_2760_11609_9436.jpg

Went for a burned, firey appearance to the wings.... not the traditional reds.

med_gallery_2760_11609_446188.jpg

med_gallery_2760_11609_29850.jpg

med_gallery_2760_11609_242200.jpg

And a peak at my next batrep featuring a re-match of the much hated Space Wolves... which seems to happen in a timely manner considering the Wolves are coming out of the Warp kickin' Chaos buttocks in the new campaign book:

So here is an opening shot of a batrep I hope to have up soon in my Khorne Daemonkin Thread. This Wolves army pasted me last time, as there was nothing I could do against the Thunderwolves Calvary. Will this time be different? One thing's for sure, the Blood god will see many a head roll.

gallery_2760_11609_618696.jpg

Thank you for looking.

Thank you for the kind words. Some people on the Hall of Honour page were saying the images were too small.

I usually try to trim picture fat because of the 100's of images I store in our Gallery section. Literally with pics from most armies I've done it does add up and I've tried to keep this under 1.5Mb per picture.

My house doesn't have great light so this is the best I could do.

gallery_2760_11609_400591.jpg

gallery_2760_11609_776198.jpg

So here are some pics... with Grey Knights for scale. On my computer these show up much larger than actual size. Hope this is large enough for you guys to see.

Thanks again!

Archived