Captain Semper's HH Word Bearers

I'm sure it'll be silly pretty like the rest of your XVII, but will that heavy flamer have a pilot light?

Should totally be right up there in hobby musts like drilling bolters :D

Well, here's the deal:

Undercoat: Chaotic Red (Army painter spray)

Basecoat: 50-50 Chaotic Red and Khorne Red

Shading: Agrax Earthshade 

Now you have to choose: go for a real dark shade (my initial tendency): Just highlight with Khorne Red and you're done. Be advised though, we're talking for a very, very subtle effect overall...

What I do is go a step further and add another layer of 50-50 Khorne Red and Mephiston red and final highlight with Mephiston Red. That's the red you see above. Still struggling with the quality of the pics though... :(

Great painting. Very clean with good contrast.

My only comment is that, for WB, they appear too clean-cut. Originally the word bearers had armor of a dull gunmetal. They only re colored red after their fall to chaos. And they didn't just side with Horus like many legions, they willfully sided with and worshipped the gods of chaos. For a legion in thrall to the dark gods, I would expect a little less crisp clean appearance.

I would expect to see religious script on the armor, chaos stars, devotional ribbons on their armor. The beginnings of demonic faces in their iconography.

Just some suggestions.

Post fall to chaos

http://img0.reactor.cc/pics/post/full/Warhammer-40000-фэндомы-Horus-Heresy-Word-Bearers-2150022.jpeg

Very nice WBs mate, they are a lot LOT cleaner than mine, but the look really works. And I love the placement of the different colour elements, breaks up the model but doesn't look confusing.

Keep it up, look forward to more

Great painting. Very clean with good contrast.

My only comment is that, for WB, they appear too clean-cut. Originally the word bearers had armor of a dull gunmetal. They only re colored red after their fall to chaos. And they didn't just side with Horus like many legions, they willfully sided with and worshipped the gods of chaos. For a legion in thrall to the dark gods, I would expect a little less crisp clean appearance.

I would expect to see religious script on the armor, chaos stars, devotional ribbons on their armor. The beginnings of demonic faces in their iconography.

Just some suggestions.

Post fall to chaos

http://img0.reactor.cc/pics/post/full/Warhammer-40000-фэндомы-Horus-Heresy-Word-Bearers-2150022.jpeg

Don't worry - I'm totally aware of the background on WBs. biggrin.png

I was in two minds about adding the ash-grey detail here and there but decided to go out for the all dark red scheme - that didn't turn out so dark... laugh.png

As regards the script on the armour - it is left out by choice as I'm afraid it'll ruin my work (seen it happen)... I do plan however to add some of the decals provided in the B@C box once I have finished all of them, as a treat for managing to complete my first WB squad.

Thanks for your comments - we're in agreement!

Very nice WBs mate, they are a lot LOT cleaner than mine, but the look really works. And I love the placement of the different colour elements, breaks up the model but doesn't look confusing.

Keep it up, look forward to more

Well, Sheep, I think your work is in a totally different level mate! biggrin.png Thank you for the encouragement - I intend to keep true to the WBs until I completed the list in the first page at least! smile.png

looking great semper, i must admidt that i was shure it was gonna be fallen angels, but word bearers is also good, just remember to pledge them as chaos space marines and not HH for the ETL

Dream on Heretic! When the ETL comes, I'll stand by the First, the Honoured, the Sons of the Lion! devil.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Yay! I my go down this path as I can get them from my local store. Unfortunately the more exciting elements of the army such Gal Vorbak or the Ashen Circle may take a bit more (i.e. I need to travel to the UK to get them... :( )

In any case I got plenty of stuff to go on right now with the Tacticals an'all.

Awesome treasonous dogs XVII Legion :) I normally go for a much darker red, but as others have said, you pulled this shade off really well and it looks fantastic.

May I enquire how you made the background for your 'display' pictures above (i.e. not the ones on the gaming board)?

• 1 month later...

Semper... you gotta cut it out.

Every time you throw down an update I catch myself looking at my own Word Bearers thinking "hmm... repainting you all in a matte scheme like Semper's wouldn't take that long would it?"

They look great man!

Archived