The Battle of Paramar Nexus - Caillum's HH Plog

Caillum

The amber and sable Titans of the Tiger Eyes led the way, striding forward at flank speed, contemptuous of any ally who might get underfoot in their headlong charge and behind them, taking advantage of the shadow of the Titans' void shields came two vast strung-out echelons of Alpha Legion strike armour: Predators and Sicaran tanks and the deadly new Scorpius Whirlwinds. Behind these came the columns of super-heavies: Fellblades and Glaives for the most, chosen for their speed as well as firepower, and behind them the dispersed squadrons of Land Raiders and Spartans, in which the infantry strength was carried, a hundred tanks strong. Above flew gunships and speeders in close air support, a hazardous task given the choking air. Further back from this vast conglomeration of apocalyptic armoured might, came the sinister and strange forces of the Taghmata Satarael creating their own spider-like formation, the air around them shimmering with the distortion of a mobile power field generator mounted on a hovering Ordinatus class platform at the centre of the mass of arcane war engines. Alongside the Taghmata came the bronze and crimson Knight walkers of House Perdaxia and the ghost-grey Knights of House Rajha, answering the deafening war sirens of the battle Titans with kindred answering cries of their own.

Rearing up a vast swathe of dust behind it like an oncoming hurricane, the army of the Traitor Legion and its allies thundered towards the Paramar Nexus.

- THE HORUS HERESY, BOOK THREE - EXTERMINATION -

I've finally started a painting log! Been thinking of doing this for years, and planning on doing this for months, but it took the hype of the Horus Heresy to get me moving. smile.png

Had a lot of thoughts regarding the army I was going to collect. Night Lords were top of my list, with some proxying to get the feel for them. But I kept getting drawn to the Alpha Legion, those slippery snakes! I needed more than simply a Legion though, so I opted for Mechanicum allies, with Knights and Titans to (eventually) follow. And the ideal setting for all this was Paramar!

First up, I have painted the Cataphractii Terminator Sergeant from the Betrayal at Calth set, mainly because I'm waiting for FW to bring my Alpha Legion upgrades still. These will actually be used as Siege Tyrants, with Coils of the Hydra set to be my Rite of War. When the Cyclone missile launchers from Spellcrow arrive, I will magnetize them on top.

I wanted to show my method for achieving the Alpha Legion metallic scheme too, as many people have struggled with it. betrayer41 has done some inspirational work with his Alpha Legion, so props to him for making me believe it could be done! Not owning an airbrush meant doing it by hand(brush), but I'm happier than I expected to be (especially given I haven't painted a thing in 18 months).
- I started with a base coat of Army Painter Gun Metal spray, straight onto the plastic. Note that GW have just re-released Leadbelcher spray, an almost identical colour, as a permanent line.
- next was a light brush application of Citadel Glaze Waywatcher Green over the areas I wanted to be coloured.
- then I added a light brush application of Citadel Glaze Guilliman Blue over the same area.
- here I applied an edge highlight of Citadel Ironbreaker to all the blue metallics, as it works nicely before adding more Guilliman Blue.
- repeat the Guilliman Blue - you'll see that the 4th model suddenly looks pretty good! Be careful not to be too liberal with it or the model may be too dark.
- after that, I finish up with all the details. The metal is Ironbreaker - Nuln Oil - Mithril Silver. The leather is Pallid Wych Flesh - Nuln Oil - White Scar. The bronze is Balthasar Gold - Agrax Earthshade - Runelord Brass. I used the Agrellan Earth crackle paint for the base to represent the deserts of Paramar.

gallery_84772_11616_87377.jpg

gallery_84772_11616_109565.jpg

gallery_84772_11616_298582.jpg

gallery_84772_11616_244557.jpg

gallery_84772_11616_306742.jpg

Will finish off the unit next. Have to add some transfers to them too, so they'll be on my next order. smile.png

Thanks for dropping by!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the kind words everyone! smile.png

So, I started a new job between this and the 1st post, so some delays were inevitable. But it meant that more stuff arrived for me to work on! I received my Cyclone missile launchers, my 2nd Betrayal at Calth box and a FW order of Alpha Legion goodies.

gallery_84772_11616_187045.jpg

Only a little progress on the Terminators painting, but I got the second 5 assembled and all 10 have their CML's magnetised for versatility. Once my FW order arrived, I got stuck into some Tactical Marines.

gallery_84772_11616_144885.jpg

Probably going to do 3 units of 10 Tacticals in Rhinos for my Troops choices. I wanted the Sergeant's resin torso to be nice and visible, so a 40k auspex was a good left-handed option. Might use a pointing finger for another. I've loaded the models up with all the gear they should have - bolt pistols, grenades, etc. - to make them look the part. Often the sprues don't have nearly enough parts to do this, so having 7 bolt pistols on the BaC sprues is pretty good. Going to order a few more from a bitz site.

I'm really tempted to make 3 units of 10 Breachers in Land Raider Protei, as this would be very thematic for the Invasion of Paramar. I could get the Boarding Assault Upgrade Set and use it on the Mark IV Marines, but this would be horrendously pricey in £'s and points. A man can dream though...

Got a free shipping voucher from FW, so Armillus Dynat and some AL transfers are on the list. I think I'll get a set of the new Corvus Armour Marines too, as the Alpha Legion Heads have 2 Mark VI ones included. It looks like the Headhunters will have 1 too (fingers crossed for their release next week). For now, back to assembling 25 Tacticals and to finish painting those first 5 Terminators. Must remember to drill out those bolters too... smile.png

Thanks for dropping by!

Thanks Flint!

Going to go for white on the leather - something light to contrast the brown bases and blue armour. Need to sharpen up the sergeants leather actually.

Doing the launchers silver with a blue plate on the top. As for the missiles... Not sure yet. Thinking of white with a bright green point maybe? Can't see it in the photos, but I did the scope on the combi-bolter green too.

I want to do some green OSL - glowing eyes for instance. Will be my first attempt at it, so will look into it a bit first. :)

Nice to see another XX Legion player making a Paramar force. How big is the army going to be once you have finished? 8000pts mad like mine or? XD

I'm loving the metallics though. Awesome job.

Oh btw hate to be nit picky with the fluffy intro, but Perdaxia were ghost grey and Rahja crimson I believe XD. Otherwise I have to rename all my knights.

Thanks guys!

@Firenze, just reread Extermination and it says that Perdaxia is bronze & crimson, Rahja ghost-grey... Patraxis is the 3rd mentioned, but can't find mention of a colour scheme for them. Hope you don't have to change your models man! :/

Thanks guys!

@Firenze, just reread Extermination and it says that Perdaxia is bronze & crimson, Rahja ghost-grey... Patraxis is the 3rd mentioned, but can't find mention of a colour scheme for them. Hope you don't have to change your models man! :/

Welp your right. Ill just change the names on the chests then xp

Very effective scheme and fairly simple. I might have to try it. I prefer my models slightly darker but that should be fairly easy to do. Much better than either of FW's paint scheme tutorials and far more practical with brushes on a large number scale.

Does that tactical marine with the studded shoulder pad lack an Alpha Legion pauldron because the hydra would face the wrong way on the right shoulder?

I can't see much of "all the gear they should have" from that angle though; I just notice one melta bomb and some holsters because the bolters and arms are in the way.

I like the terminators.

An update! I finished my first 5 Cataphractii Terminators (read: Siege Tyrants). I'd apologise for the slowness of my progress, but life gets in the way sometimes. smile.png

gallery_84772_11616_100823.jpg

gallery_84772_11616_28155.jpg

Very happy with them. Only thing I might do still is add some bronzed elements to the other members, as the forces of Harrowmaster Armillus Dynat are believed to do this. I also have some of the new Alpha Legion transfers coming in my next FW order, which will hopefully give me some stuff to add to their armour plates. Along with these I have Dynat himself, more shoulder pads, some new Corvus Armour and the Headhunters upgrade kit. But my next project is back to basics: Tactical Marines. 20 are assembled and ready to go, with another 10 planned.

gallery_84772_11616_209218.jpg

gallery_84772_11616_205031.jpg

Does that tactical marine with the studded shoulder pad lack an Alpha Legion pauldron because the hydra would face the wrong way on the right shoulder?

I can't see much of "all the gear they should have" from that angle though; I just notice one melta bomb and some holsters because the bolters and arms are in the way.

I like the terminators.

Thanks! Yes, I did do a couple of models with studded shoulder pads - was a deliberate attempt to give some variety to the models. I'll likely put some Alpha Legion transfers on the opposite pads, as the molded ones will face backwards, yes. As for their gear, sorry - was a quick WIP photo. They all have bolt pistols, grenades and pouches on the sides/backs.

gallery_84772_11616_81556.jpg

Also converted up a magnetised Saboteur model while I was between other tasks. I have a Mark IV jump pack too, so with his swappable gun and backpack he can be a jump Vigilator too.

gallery_84772_11616_8760.jpg

gallery_84772_11616_52228.jpg

That's all for now. Thanks for dropping by!

Edit: I really need to get a light box...

Thanks everyone! I was really happy with the results...

@Firenze, they're Spellcrow "Blizzard missile launchers". I put a link in the first post.

@Rangaman, no proper groups myself, though I seem to be getting asked that a lot lately - need to look into Perth Horus Heresy enthusiasts. Lachdannan ^^ and I are mates - we play each other as often as we can! You should definitely check out his Fists!

@Thousand Eyes, both the Vigilator and the Saboteur have Cameleoline (and the former can take a jump pack), so it's not TOO unbelievable (I hope). Going to paint his cloak the same brown as the bases, a la camouflage!

And... I'm all out of 'likes'. :)

Cameleoline isn't necessarily about making the wearer invisible, but harder to aim at. If the cloak makes him blurrier than his fellow jump packers, it'd done its work.

Now, sure, the cape can end up sucked into the engine. :P

They all have bolt pistols, grenades and pouches on the sides/backs.

Nice. Do you gear up their waist before or after gluing on their arms? I feel like I'm shooting myself in the foot with the arms' possible positions every time I do it before. And that's not counting the times the waist gear prevents the shoulder and pauldron's inside to touch!

• 8 months later...

So it's been a long while since my last update. New job/career has pulled me away from the painting table. Also spent a lot of time reviewing my army plans, but feel like I have a clear goal in mind now. smile.png

I played a 1500-point game against Lachdannan last week. He is starting up a new Sons of Horus army (found here - http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/326424-for-the-warmaster-a-30k-plog-first-test-model-done/) and he wanted to try out Horus himself. Knowing I was facing a 1500-point Primarch's Chosen army, I fully expected it to last about 15 minutes!

He ran "Primarch's Chosen":

- Horus

- 10 Veterans, Machine Killers, 2 meltaguns, melta bombs, vexilla, Sergeant with AA, power fist & combi-melta

- 10 Veterans, Marksmen, 2 heavy bolters, melta bombs, vexilla, Sergeant with AA & power fist

- 5 Cataphractii Terminators, 3 chainfists, 2 power fists, 5 combi-plasmas

- 2 Dreadclaws (for the Vets)

I ran no Rite of War:

- Armillus Dynat, power dagger

- Saboteur, combi-melta

- 10 Tactical Marines, vexilla, Sergeant with AA & melta bombs, Rhino with dozer blade & multi-melta

- 10 Tactical Marines, vexilla, Sergeant with AA & melta bombs, Rhino with dozer blade & multi-melta

- 1 Apothecary, artificer armour

- 8 Veterans, Marksmen, 7 combi-plasmas, vexilla, Sergeant with AA, combi-plasma, power fist & power dagger, Rhino with dozer blade & multi-melta

- 10 Cataphractii Terminators, 6 power fists, 3 chainfists, Banestrike ammo, Sergeant with chainfist & power dagger

We played the Shadow War mission, "Suicide Mission", as we hadn't tried any of them out yet. In it, he scores extra VPs every turn for every Scoring unit in my DZ, I gain 2 VPs for every unit I have destroyed or is Falling Back, and we both get a bonus VP for each Challenge won & successful Sweeping Advance. Despite my +2 to the roll-off, he won and chose to be attacker (which made sense with his force). We got "Vanguard Strike" as our deployment zone (the diagonal one). I deployed defensively, and he had nothing to deploy (and didn't attempt to seize).

Turn 1...

- I sat there doing nothing. tongue.png

- he Drop Pod Assaulted with his Machine Killer Vets Dreadclaw and moved Flat Out into a better position.

Turn 2...

- my Saboteur arrived, and I used Dynat's "Hammerstrike Assault" Warlord Trait to Deep Strike right next to the Dreadclaw. His Sabotage! attack scored an Immobilised result on the Dreadclaw, which was awesome! I moved all 3 Rhinos and the Terminators towards the Dreadclaw, and shot it with the Saboteur's combi-melta, getting an Explodes! result and killing a few Vets. Saboteur pays for himself! I then unloaded everything at the Vets, killing all but the 2 meltagunners.

- his Marksmen Vets arrive, as does Horus and the Terminators. They both land in the corner of board, in my slightly vacated deployment zone. He shot with his Terminators' bolters and Horus' Talon into the rear of 1st Tactical's Rhino, Wrecking it. He then shot both meltaVets at my Saboteur - hits with both, only wounds with 1 (yes!), and then I make my 6+ cameleoline cover save (double-yes! This guy is amazing!). They charge, fail to get a wound through, I kill one in return, but he holds.

Turn 3...

- my Terminators move back towards Horus & Co. - they are pretty much the only thing that can kill him, so we'll see how they go. The Veterans Rhino and 2nd Tactical's Rhino move back towards the corner, facing the Dreadclaw. 1st Tactical Squad, huddled around their Wrecked Rhino, Fury into Horus & Co. - I'm lucky enough to kill 2 Terminators, so that's a bonus. The Veteran's Rhino kills another Terminator with it's multi-melta too. 2nd Tactical Squad disembarks and their Rhino shoots at the Dreadclaw with its multi-melta - he fails his Jink, and I get another Explodes! result (a few Veterans die too). The meltaVet and my Saboteur beat each other up to no effect.

- he splits Horus away from the Terminators, shooting at 1st Tactical Squad, culling a few, then assaults them, murdering most and sweeping the rest. The Terminators and Marksmen Vets move towards 2nd Tactical Squad, shoot at them, then assault them - he whiffs his Terminator attacks and I lose a few guys to the Vets, but hold my ground (vexilla re-rolls are so worth it). The meltaVet and my Saboteur beat each other up to no effect (again).

Turn 4...

- my Terminators advance towards Horus, shooting him a bit more and then assaulting him. I refuse his challenge, he rips me a new one, but I belt him for 3 more wounds! I stand my ground and he starts to sweat. The Veterans move towards the enemy Terminator/Vets, hoping to even the odds. His Terminator Sergeant issue a challenge, Dynat goes in with his thunder hammer & power dagger, and neither do anything to each other. The others tickle each other with their rubber combat blades, but not a lot else happens there. The meltaVet and my Saboteur beat each other up, with the Saboteur taking a wound! ohmy.png He holds though...

- Horus regains a wound, and he and the Terminators bounce off each other. Dynat kills the Terminator Sergeant, survives his chainfist attacks, and my Vets and Tacticals Sweep his Vets. His 2 Terminators still remain. My Saboteur finally gets a couple of wounds onto the meltaVet and he dies! My single 95-point model took down 375 points of enemies! Awesome stuff.

Turn 5...

- Horus and my Terminators continue to fight, I lose a few more, he loses another wound. It's gonna be close! Dynat, my Vets and my 2 remaining Tactical Marines finish off the enemy Terminators.

- Horus fails to regain a wound, kills a couple more Terminators, and I get him down to 1 wound!

Turn 6...

- doesn't happen. Game ends here.

So there you have it! Thanks to all his Scoring units in my DZ, Lachdannan was leading the way on VPs, despite his losses. With all the Challenge bonuses, Sweeping Advances and units killed, I end up winning 12-7! Man of the Match definitely does to the humble Saboteur - no wargear additions except for a combi-melta makes it an awesome throwaway unit, but can still threaten vehicles (and he comes stock with melta bombs, so he needs to be dealt with). Due to his exceptional work, I painted him the very next night!

gallery_84772_11616_158390.jpg

gallery_84772_11616_120162.jpg

gallery_84772_11616_45703.jpg

gallery_84772_11616_32520.jpg

gallery_84772_11616_99302.jpg

Thanks for dropping by!

Good to see life back in this thread, will you be re-configuring any parts of your list or are you happy with their performance? Would love to see everything all lined up, even if they are unpainted.

Edit: Also is Lachs list legal? I count three non LA units and three LA units, where I think LA must be in the majority...

Archived